MembersZone Subscriber

Default Which one first?

Should you go to fire academy or medic school first?

Forum Member

Depends on what your goals are.

Unfortunately, many fire departments could care less if you have any previous fire training while at the same time will hire you if you are a paramedic with a pulse - mine included.

If your trying to get any job fast, go to medic school first. If you have a particular department in mind, I would see what their specific prerequisites are and maybe talk to some people on that department.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

MembersZone Subscriber

Most departments are going to put you through a fire academy no matter what certs you have. On the flip side, most departments will either have an academy class specifically for those with EMS certs so they can run a shorter class, or they will do the EMS portion at the end and send you to the field when that portion comes up. You are of much more interest to a department if you are a paramedic than if you have Firefighter 23, Fire Officer 41, Super Pump Operator etc. Most fireman use EMS certs as a means to an end. They don't like it, but they deal with it because it's part of the job. Good Luck.
    Chris Polimeni
    Prince George's County FD
    Back at the Big 29er

Forum Member

New York State does not matter if you have any fire experience at all or have been to the academy and taken every course imaginable, state law says you have to go through the academy.

Forum Member

Medic school.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MemphisE34a View Post
    Depends on what your goals are.

Unfortunately, many fire departments could care less if you have any previous fire training while at the same time will hire you if you are a paramedic with a pulse - mine included.

If your trying to get any job fast, go to medic school first. If you have a particular department in mind, I would see what their specific prerequisites are and maybe talk to some people on that department.
    2nd that.................

Forum Member

I'd say it depends on what your goals are, but I'd go Academy first. You can volunteer at an FD during your medic school, and may help you get some experience with patient care, as well as fighting fire.
    Probationary Firefighter

FF/EMT-B
    Paramedic in training..

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Exclamation Neither.............

Don't go to either, unless your Employer sends you. Don't waste your time or money, Get hired and let your employer train you. In our area, EVERY Department sends you thru whatever training they want you to have. In fact, to take Fire Courses here, you MUST be a member of a Fire department, Joe Average can't walk into a Fire Academy and take a class.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Permanently Removed

I would recommend going to a basic fire academy first. Get the skills and basics down. Then look into a Reserve, PCF or Volunteer program. Keep those skills alive and fresh.

Then- Get your EMT cert. Work on a busy ambulance and get down the BLS and ALS basics and interface. Since most of this job is EMS, it would be a good start.

Then consider medic school. Be aware, most medic schools wont even talk to you until you get 1-2 years of field experience.

The above is the very short version. There is more info and opinions out there. Do NOT go to medic school if your heart isnt really into it. And its expensive as well.

Forum Member

Nate,

It matters where you live really. Bou has his point, which is good for California. In Mass, it is completely different. Medic school would be your first bet for a few reasons. The fire service is greatly different all across the Country.

MembersZone Subscriber

Most departments are going to put you through a fire academy no matter what certs you have.

Nate, very few departments in the DFW area send you through school anymore. Fort Worth, Dallas, Arlington is doing it again, maybe Irving and Duncanville. Thats really about it. Its not economical for most. A lot of them lost money because A: The people quit through school or B: Quit right after school and went somewhere else.

What a few will do now because they are hurting for paramedic's is if you have your medic patch, they will send you to school but will now require you to work there for so long.

Nate, where you are at, its a toss up. Most places except for a few dont hire FF/EMT's and the ones that do, you have to have your act in gear to get a job.

Now, like I said in the other thread, having your medic patch will basically allow you to kind of pick where you want to work.

And, at least with having your medic patch, or even an EMT patch, you can work a side job while going to the academy.

But, its all up to you. I did fire, emt, paramedic and had a job in about 3-4 months. But, i'm starting to see more and more medic's who get jobs and are put through fire academy
    The Box. You opened it. We Came...

"You'll take my life but I'll take your's too. You'll fire musket but I'll run you through. So when your waiting for the next attack, you'll better understand there's no turn back."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by hwoods View Post
    Don't go to either, unless your Employer sends you. Don't waste your time or money, Get hired and let your employer train you. In our area, EVERY Department sends you thru whatever training they want you to have. In fact, to take Fire Courses here, you MUST be a member of a Fire department, Joe Average can't walk into a Fire Academy and take a class.
    Must be nice. Here in Florida your best bet would be to apply to a fire academy. While your waiting to get in you would take your EMT, unless you were lucky enough to get into an academy right away. Some places it takes so long to get into the fire academy that you can have your EMT and medic finished first. Paramedic is the most valuable cert here, but don't choose it over fire school.
    If your going to cry about doing the job you signed up for do us all a favor and quit, there are plenty of dedicated people standing in line for the best job in the world.

Firefighter/Paramedic

MembersZone Subscriber

i appreciate all the comments. I have my emt and am currently in paramedic school. I just wondered what was the best avenue to go considering my location. Thanks again.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nate28 View Post
    i appreciate all the comments. I have my emt and am currently in paramedic school. I just wondered what was the best avenue to go considering my location. Thanks again.
    So what's your location?

MembersZone Subscriber

im in north texas but wouldnt mind relocating.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Smile Ok.............

Quote Originally Posted by Nate28 View Post
    im in north texas but wouldnt mind relocating.

The Center of the Universe is Maryland...............
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

By the way, most career department donít care what certification you process.

If you are a NFPA FF 2 HAZMAT TECH and anything else and an EMT-D, so be it. Most will make you go back to recruit school to be sure that you know what you know and to teach you our way of doing business. In Virginia the EMS cert depends in most departments when it expires. If you just got it so be it, if it is going to expire with in 2 years you are going to have to take the course again. Most fire departments hiring off an established list will hire you and you go to the academy. The first thing after fire department structure and organization is taught is EMT. If you pass it you move on into the firefighting courses. If you fail it, you start firefighting and you have a second chance to retake the EMT exam and pass. If you fail that attempt, then you are dismissed.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by hwoods View Post
    It's much different out in the west from the way woods here described it.

MembersZone Subscriber

I agree with what hwoods said about letting the employer send you, and have heard of instances that jonnee metions about getting re-schooled.
    And, there's other departments where they honor previous schooling/instruction and take you on board.

Nate28, I assume your not with any type of FD right now, paid or volunteer?
    JHR1985 seems to have some good advice if your staying in Texas.

Thread Information