Thread: SOPs/SOGs

MembersZone Subscriber

Default SOPs/SOGs

Hi all! I'm currently in the process of trying to convince the higher-ups in my dept. that our SOPs need a major overhaul. Our "current" book is almost completely 10+ years old and covers very little. I am looking for input on what should/should not be covered as well as how comprehensive and specific these policies and/or guidelines should be. If anyone is willing to provide copies of their own departments' SOPs, that would be even better.

Just for some perspective, this is for a full-time department, 6FFs and 1 Captain per shift, staffing 2 engines, a ladder, and a rescue (ambulance); about 2800 runs (fire and EMS) per year. The community is mostly middle-class, single family homes and a reasonably-sized commercial "strip." No buildings above 5 stories, some light-medium industrial facilities as well. We also utilize a boat for ocean-based water rescues.

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by emtJon; 02-06-2008 at 05:03 PM.

Forum Member

I suggest guidelines because they allow flexibility. Also, how do you staff 4 vehicles with seven people? I personally have never understood SOPs/SOGs. A good company officer should be able to handle an incident without a handbook in his back pocket.
    FF/Paramedic

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm leaning toward guidelines as well, for the same reason.

We staff the rescue with 2 men, the engine with a driver and the officer, the second engine with 1 man, the ladder with 1 man, and the dispatcher (we self-dispatch). If everyone is in the station and an alarm/fire comes in, 1 man from the rescue goes back step on the engine and the other goes as a second man on the ladder. If the rescue is out, all bets are off.

That is why I'm trying to establish definitive guidelines/procedures for the department; not because the shift officers can't handle the situations they are presented with, but so there is no question in anybody's mind as to what will be done under certain circumstances (at the moment the 4 shifts operate almost like 4 different departments and the chief pretty much refuses to get involved), as well as covering important aspects of day-to-day safety and the like.

Forum Member

I meant no insult to your officers. Why no go to a 24 on 24 off shift plan? This will give you 12 guys a shift and help the number of people on a rig.
    FF/Paramedic

MembersZone Subscriber

No offense taken; just wanted to clarify my reasons. I think there's been chit-chat about changing the schedule, but I get the feeling nothing along those lines is going to happen anytime soon.

Default 1

Paid on call, we send 3-6 people to the scene for EMS calls(whoever lives the closest), a vehicle with 2-3 rolls with all the medical equipment except the cot, and then an ambulance comes 10-15 minutes later with 3-4. Our 8-12 people usually will render enough hands to do the trick

Thread Information