Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Seems like its impossible to get a job w/o Medic in Ohio

It seems like its impossible to get on a dept. in ohio without having your Medic. I plan on starting it in the fall, but its just a bummer.

Forum Member

Sucks that you have to get a medical certification that you don't really want in order to get a job that you do.

Forum Member

It all depends on the area. In the northern part of the state there is so much competition for the jobs, that you have to be a medic to be competitive. That is the way it has been for some time now. Don't like, go elsewhere. EMS is run by all the fire departments, except the major cities. And, even they are starting to require medics. This is what we do, this is what is demanded.
    Jason Brooks
    IAFF Local 2388
    IACOJ

Forum Member

toledo only requires medic after you are hired, and at 36,000 to start and 50K something after 3 years that aint bad

Forum Member

Most if not all NE Ohio departments require medic to sit for the test or at least be in school. Like I said before, the major cities being the exceptions. However, rumor is that is changing too. Starting pay is very good in our area. With most starting in the high $40's at least.
    Jason Brooks
    IAFF Local 2388
    IACOJ

Forum Member

It is almost impossible to get a job in NE Ohio even if you do have your medic card. If I were you, I would get my medic card and then go to another state somewhere out west for a number of reasons.
    1. The reason they want you to have your medic cert before is because you are a medic first and a firefighter maybe once a year. The only cities in NE Ohio that see fire is Cleveland and East Cleveland.
    2. Retirement!! Ohio's retirement in 25 yrs. Anywhere out west is 20 yrs.
    3. People want to live out west, people are moving out west, out west is growing. Job security is there and in the summer months the wildland fire season hits and the opportunities to see fire are there. Ohio is a dying state. Filled with Blue collar workers with no blue collar work.
    4. Weather!! need I say more

Get your medic card and get out of Ohio. A FFMedic is a valuable thing in every state but Ohio.

Just my 2 Cents

Forum Member

welcome to the real world son, you dont see doctors crying about spending 7 years in med school, or teachers complaining they had to go get a BA in Education to teach, why should the fire service be any different? They want thier hires to be 1. qualified for the job and 2. Serious about the job and not just some knucklehead who thinks it might be "cool" to be a firefighter because he saw the movie backdraft once on TV.

Forum Member

I got tired of taking civil service tests w/ the same 300 people for the same POSSIBILITY of one job.....hence my user name.....life is good outside the buckeye state :-)

As a side note, I was cleaning out my desk the other day, and came accross the Kent OH civil service list from 2004, there are 4 guys from my job on it....I got a kick out of it.

Forum Member

I'm also a former buckeye that jumped ship (after 4 years and 25 tests later). If you want the job bad enough, you'll make the sacrifices.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default former buckeyes

Hey where do you guys work I am not closed minded to getting out of Ohio I have my medic and a good full time job but Ohio is so depressing just wondering where you guys work and what its like

Forum Member

send me a pm, i'll let you know anything you want

MembersZone Subscriber

Default former buckeye

I cant figure out how to Pm I set it up in my options but when I tried to send it to you it wouldnt let me! I tried multiple times and no luck You can email me at Bcfootball25@aol.com

Forum Member

email is sent

Forum Member

Yup, every test I've seen and applied for has required you to be a medic or in school to even take it. Thankfully I have only 2 months left of class and applying for the tests hasn't been an issue. Hopefully everything works out well, but if it doesn't I to plan to look at other alternatives. Did you guys all who mentioned leaving the buckeye state move far away, or to neighboring states? I just don't like the thought of leaving all my family here, especially mother and father as they won't have many people around to take care of them later down the line. They've raised me all my life, the least I could do is stick around to help them out... I just feel sort of bad up and going on everyone.

MembersZone Subscriber

Im not crying about anything, i was just posting that to see if i could get a little help or some opinions. As for the whole "cool" thing its not that at all, its just tough trying to pay for a whole **** load of schooling, medic school, as well as a 4 year degree that im going to at a state university and pay bills all at the same time. Maybe i posted the blog wrong but whatever. I guess im just a little eager to get my career started off.

Forum Member

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by scrubbintoilets View Post
    Hey where do you guys work I am not closed minded to getting out of Ohio I have my medic and a good full time job but Ohio is so depressing just wondering where you guys work and what its like
    I'm in Montgomery County, Maryland: Local 1664. It's a large county wide department just North of DC. We have around 1200 uniformed personnel and run over 100,000 calls a year (fire and ems). There's a little bit of everything around here...urban, suburban, and rural areas. We have 34 stations with another one currently under construction. Pay is good...cost of living sucks. Overall, I think it's a great place to be. Very progressive department with a lot of opportunities for promotion. Many guys actually commute 1 to 1.5 hours from PA. It's only about a 5-6 hour drive from Columbus.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default firemedic

How many volunteer stations and how many paid stations in montgomery county do you do alot of work with the volunteers?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by scrubbintoilets View Post
    How many volunteer stations and how many paid stations in montgomery county do you do alot of work with the volunteers?
    Just about every station is staffed around the clock by paid personnel with the exception of Rescue 1 Bethesda, Rescue 2 Weaton, and Station 5 Kensington. Volunteers run these stations on nights and weekends.
    The Montgomery County thread on this board can answer your questions with a little more detail. Check it out.

MembersZone Subscriber

anyone else relocate from ohio to another part of the country or out of state?

MembersZone Subscriber

I relocated from NE Ohio to memphis, TN. My only regret is not relocating 4 years ago. Don't get me wrong, I am not bashing on Ohio. There are many solid departments, and I would love to work for many of them. However the hiring and part time full time situation is out of control. If theese departments want a full time guy, hire a full time guy. It disgusts me to see "part" timers working 24/48 schedules at $8.00 an hour w/o benefits. Theese departments take adavantage of the eagerness and relative stupidity of young up and comers. If you don't mind relocating, take the plunge. There are plenty of places looking for good, qualified people.
    Last edited by MontvilleFire39; 02-24-2008 at 12:30 PM.

Thread Information