MembersZone Subscriber

Default Tornados in the South

Did you see the pictures of all the people that were affected by the tornados standing around waiting for the government to come bail them out?

Neither did I.

My prayers (and some of my money) go out to them.
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

MembersZone Subscriber

My crew and I were talking about that very thing yesterday. None of us could remember the last time there was a major (or minor, locally) tornadic event where we saw someone on the news complaining that the gov't wasn't there.

When Pres. Bush came through here in 2003, there were several people ****ed about it because work halted and they were "there to work and not to be a spectator."

MembersZone Subscriber

George, I have to admit you got me. There was enough space from your 1st line that initially I didn't see your next line "neither did I". I would have to admit as I listened to all the calls the other night going all around us on my radio and talking to guys that were at the natural gas plant explosion (which from my vantage point looked like a morning sunrise in the south), you got me. My "fight" in my firefighter (wonder how many young guys even know what that means) flared up and for that I am truly sorry. I know there were a lot of guys giving a lot that night. I feel I am truly blessed to be a firefighter and live in the south!
    The evidence of God's presence far outweighs the
    proof of His absence.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Lieutenant387 View Post
    George, I have to admit you got me. There was enough space from your 1st line that initially I didn't see your next line "neither did I". I would have to admit as I listened to all the calls the other night going all around us on my radio and talking to guys that were at the natural gas plant explosion (which from my vantage point looked like a morning sunrise in the south), you got me. My "fight" in my firefighter (wonder how many young guys even know what that means) flared up and for that I am truly sorry. I know there were a lot of guys giving a lot that night. I feel I am truly blessed to be a firefighter and live in the south!
    Sorry for what?

Stay safe. My prayers are with you guys.

MembersZone Subscriber

It is very hard to see the things that have happened to your neighbors when they do lose in storms like that. It makes you be thankful to the man above for every day and everything that is good in my life!

I watched (what I found out afterwards was) a confirmed tornado go over near my off duty job a few weeks ago. My wife and I work together and she was away from the office, called my phone and said is that the outdoor warning sirens? I looked up to see it over the next building just off the ground. It was between me and my wife and had just came straight up the road from my daughters daycare where just wet of it had touched down and got a couple of homes and barns. The national weather service comes in afterwards to confirm damage patterns and officially decide if it was just a wind issue or a true tornado and in this case it was a tornado. The warm spells in the winter and from March to June are difficult times living in tornado alley area.
    The evidence of God's presence far outweighs the
    proof of His absence.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Catch22 View Post
    My crew and I were talking about that very thing yesterday. None of us could remember the last time there was a major (or minor, locally) tornadic event where we saw someone on the news complaining that the gov't wasn't there.

When Pres. Bush came through here in 2003, there were several people ****ed about it because work halted and they were "there to work and not to be a spectator."
    The President is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't.At least this one knows that disasters are not photo ops for his re-relection campaign so he never developed the ability to cry on cue or play cards while overflying an area until the newsies get their cameras ready like a previous one is documented to have done..
    As to what I was doing,I was working on the river and only saw lots of lightning,wind and rain.We had all the barges moved that needed moving and were standing by in case something happened.
    The only thing that required my presence outside the boat was three covertops on two barges had blown open and the cargo inside got a little damp.Big deal.
    Some of those lightning bolts were pretty damn spectacular,though.The boat has a camera system so maybe I can get copies to pass around.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Lieutenant387 View Post
    It is very hard to see the things that have happened to your neighbors when they do lose in storms like that. It makes you be thankful to the man above for every day and everything that is good in my life!
    I hear ya, man. Unfortunately, I've been involved with several now, including a hit just a month ago that totally destroyed a trailer park in our district. Watch your step and be careful out there! It's not uncommon for guys step on nails and other stuff. Prayers and thoughts with all of you.

Quote Originally Posted by doughesson
    The President is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't
    You're right there. I'm sure you realized my point wasn't him being there for a photo op or whatever, as most people appreciated the fact he took the time to come; they were just annoyed everyone had to stop working for an hour or so while he was there. Most of the people "in charge" had to make sure they were in the camera shot with him while he toured the damage.

MembersZone Subscriber

Super Tuesday has taken on a new meaning for us. We were dispatched m/a to Fairview for a structural collapse with entrapment, before we got out of the bay they dispatched another, followed by another, and so on. We saw the tornado outlined by the exploding transformers and lightning when it crossed over HWY 96 at the Natchez Trace Bridge area. As we neared where it crossed, civilians flagged us down and directed us to three houses that had collpased. As we pulled up they were dispatching us to them I was the OIC on our Heavy Rescue Tuesday night. Our crew of six was in the field for 14 hours deployed to multiple sites. After the initial chaos, the ICS worked,the mutual aid from surrounding counties was coordinated, no freelancing, excellent accountability. To only have one fatality here and about twenty injured we were much more fortunate than our neighbors.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by WCENG23 View Post
    After the initial chaos, the ICS worked,the mutual aid from surrounding counties was coordinated, no freelancing, excellent accountability.
    Kudos to you guys! That's hard to achieve in such a widespread event.

Forum Member

Much respect and thoughts go out to all those afflicted by the damages of those tornadoes and all the hard work our brothers and sisters in the Fire Service down south are doing right now.

Early Adopter

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI View Post
    Did you see the pictures of all the people that were affected by the tornados standing around waiting for the government to come bail them out?
    Sorry for opening the can of worms... But nobody thought they were protected by tornado-proof levies that failed and allowed the tornadoes in. In my book, you can't compare the disasters. One (Katrina) was a combination of both mother nature and man-made disaster... The tornadoes are exclusively mother nature's handiwork.

Forum Member

In my book, you can't compare the disasters.
    And anyone who attempts to has lost touch with reality completely.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by cozmosis View Post
    Sorry for opening the can of worms... But nobody thought they were protected by tornado-proof levies that failed and allowed the tornadoes in. In my book, you can't compare the disasters. One (Katrina) was a combination of both mother nature and man-made disaster... The tornadoes are exclusively mother nature's handiwork.
    Half this country living in trailer parks is a man made disaster.

And I am in complete touch with reality.

Forum Member

My thoughts and prayers go out to all who were affected by the storms. It is a tragedy. Stay safe brothers and sisters working in the area.
    Hello. Fire dept.. You light'em, We fight'em!

"hard working, gear jamming, nail driving, "jake". "

IACOJ
    4-16-2010 "On the approach"

Forum Member

I can relate.

It was my town that was hit by a tornado on Jan. 10th. Caledonia, Mississippi. Anybody remember seeing a school bus on top of a school building on the news? That was it. Unbelievable that there were only 3 serious injuries (no injuries at the school) and no fatalities from ours.

I was up all night Super Tue. and my thoughts and prayers go out to all involved.
    YGBSM!
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

If all you have is a hammer, then your problems start to look like nails.

IACOJ
    Southern Division.

Forum Member

George, You really couldnt just wish those effected by these terrible storms well without throwng an editorail in with it could you ?
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs up Well...........

I am blessed, I think, living in an area that is largely free from Tornados, Earthquakes, huge Brush Fires, Major Floods, etc. The stuff on TV this past 10 days is incredible, with both the Magnitude and Diversity of the Disasters. Flooding in the Midwest, Fires in Texas, Bitter Cold west and north of the Great Lakes, Flooding on the West Coast, the list is long. Watching the folks on TV who are dealing with the Tornado destruction is simply amazing. Not one has blamed someone else, and any sentiment expressed regarding looking for assistance was for the injured. One Farmer who apparently lost a lot of Equipment was in a nearby town with his Loader, helping clear Debris. His only comment was that he had "some" insurance and that he'd be Ok, he could fix things up later. Our prayers are with these folks tonight.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Post I Dunno..........

Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleman View Post
    And anyone who attempts to has lost touch with reality completely.

After thinking about this, I respectfully disagree, to a point. Yes they were different in many regards. However, People had a chance to help themselves prior to Katrina hitting the Gulf Coast. Some did, Some Didn't, and I will not lose sight of the fact that some COULDN'T. Those that couldn't help themselves were, IMHO, abandoned by the rest of the world, at least that part that could have helped. My area sent people down to the Coast a number of times, including 2 of my members at Glenn Dale. Our County as a whole sent a lot of goods, even a couple of pieces of Apparatus, to VFDs in Mississippi that needed help. BUT, Prior to, during, and after Katrina, GOVERNMENT failed those folks. Failed miserably. And, unfortunately, there were folks in the affected area that, months later, still did not want to help themselves. An older lady and her husband (friends from Church) went to New Orleans for a week to help with a Church sponsored recovery effort. She had some stories of people who really wanted to get back on track, and some stories about those that just sat, waiting for a handout. I'll never forget her comment to one, as reported by her husband: "I'm here to give you a hand up, not a hand out, there's a difference". But, back to today. What I'm seeing now is folks who care, helping one another, instead of waiting for the government. And I think that was George's point.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by MIKEYLIKESIT View Post
    George, You really couldnt just wish those effected by these terrible storms well without throwng an editorail in with it could you ?
    I think it was quite clear that I was making a strong statement about the admiration I have for people, such as the people in TN, AL, MO, AR, KY who were affected by these storms. They jump in and help one another w/o waiting for someone to do it for them. And I certainly do wish them well.

My statement was less of an editorial than a contrast.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by hwoods View Post
    After thinking about this, I respectfully disagree, to a point. Yes they were different in many regards. However, People had a chance to help themselves prior to Katrina hitting the Gulf Coast. Some did, Some Didn't, and I will not lose sight of the fact that some COULDN'T. Those that couldn't help themselves were, IMHO, abandoned by the rest of the world, at least that part that could have helped. My area sent people down to the Coast a number of times, including 2 of my members at Glenn Dale. Our County as a whole sent a lot of goods, even a couple of pieces of Apparatus, to VFDs in Mississippi that needed help. BUT, Prior to, during, and after Katrina, GOVERNMENT failed those folks. Failed miserably. And, unfortunately, there were folks in the affected area that, months later, still did not want to help themselves. An older lady and her husband (friends from Church) went to New Orleans for a week to help with a Church sponsored recovery effort. She had some stories of people who really wanted to get back on track, and some stories about those that just sat, waiting for a handout. I'll never forget her comment to one, as reported by her husband: "I'm here to give you a hand up, not a hand out, there's a difference". But, back to today. What I'm seeing now is folks who care, helping one another, instead of waiting for the government. And I think that was George's point.
    Bingo. Thanks.

MembersZone Subscriber

My county never had a confirmed touchdown. Fairview is to my west about 30 or so miles, and the fire/tornado is 60mi northeast of me. I live in the geographical center of the state.

We were fortunate yesterday. Anyone needs help, just give a shout. I'm off work the next 2 days and I'm willing to help.

WCENG23- I'm familiar with 96/Natchez Trace....are the houses you're referring to ON Hwy 96, or just off it? I'm talking about the 3000+ sq ft homes that dot 96.
    Put THAT in your pump and flow it.

Proud member IACOJ

Early Adopter

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI View Post
    I think it was quite clear that I was making a strong statement about the admiration I have for people, such as the people in TN, AL, MO, AR, KY who were affected by these storms. They jump in and help one another w/o waiting for someone to do it for them. And I certainly do wish them well.
    Do you know anyone from New Orleans, George? Have you even been to south Louisiana since the storm? There were PLENTY of folks after Katrina that put their neighbors ahead of themselves. There were PLENTY of people who bounced back as quickly as they could without worrying about what the government was going to give them.

The people of Arkansas appreciate your admiration... But I'm personally disappointed at your inability to compliment one group of people without taking a backhanded swipe at another group.

Forum Member

After thinking about this, I respectfully disagree, to a point. Yes they were different in many regards.
    They are not even close. While tragic and devastating, the damage caused by the tornados was sporadic and isolated compared to what Katrina did to the entire city of New Orleans and the rest of the Gulf Coast. To put the people involved in each in an apples to apples comparison is just silly. And to hold up the largely middle class white population in the areas affected by the recent tornados as somehow better than the largely poor minority people of New Orleans that suffered during Katrina is just despicable.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleman View Post
    They are not even close. While tragic and devastating, the damage caused by the tornados was sporadic and isolated compared to what Katrina did to the entire city of New Orleans and the rest of the Gulf Coast. To put the people involved in each in an apples to apples comparison is just silly. And to hold up the largely middle class white population in the areas affected by the recent tornados as somehow better than the largely poor minority people of New Orleans that suffered during Katrina is just despicable.
    I find it somewhat odd that you, being from the area, would call all of these people "middle-class". What I saw were largely rural, largely lower income people. And what is despicable is for you to insinuate that this has something to do with race. I didn't bring up race, you did.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

I caught this one on the tv news this morning. Good story about the baby!

Baby Found OK In Tennessee Twister Debris. Death Toll From Tornadoes Rises To 59

UPDATED: 8:40 pm EST February 7, 2008

Officials now say there have been at least 59 deaths from the series of tornadoes that pounded several states across the South earlier this week.

In Castalian Springs, Tenn., authorities are still marveling at finding 11-month-old Kyson Stowell alive, lying face down in the mud and 150 yards from where his home once stood.

"It looked like a baby doll," said David Harmon, a firefighter who had already combed the field once looking for survivors. "He was laying there motionless ... and he took a breath of air and started crying."

The body of the boy's mother was found in the same field.

The child was discharged from a hospital Thursday and was in the care of his grandparents.

The extent of the damage was still being tallied Thursday in Tennessee, Kentucky, Mississippi, Alabama and Arkansas, two days after the storms.

The death toll in Tennessee's Macon County now stands at 14, Macon County Mayor Shelvy Linville told CNN.

Of the 59 people killed, 34 of those were in Tennessee. The deaths also include 13 in Arkansas, seven in Kentucky and five in Alabama, emergency officials said.

Tornadoes pulled houses from foundations, pummeled mobile homes and collapsed warehouses.

Residents are preparing to tackle cleanup in the five states ravaged by the nation's deadliest set of twisters in more than two decades.

Emergency teams, utility workers and insurance representatives streamed into five southern states hard-hit by tornadoes earlier in the week.

Officials were only beginning to tally how much the tornadoes would cost.

President George W. Bush will travel to Tennessee Friday to assess damage and try to comfort residents.

Offering federal support, he said, "Prayers can help and so can the government."

"Our administration is reaching out to state officials," Bush said Wednesday, adding that he spoke with the governors of Alabama, Arkansas, Kentucky, Mississippi and Tennessee. "I wanted them to know that this government will help them; but more importantly, I wanted them to be able to tell the people in their states that the American people hold them up and -- hold those who suffer up in prayer. This was a bad storm that affected a lot of people in a variety of states."

Rescue crews have moved door to door to find victims of Tuesday night's twisters. They were unleashed by a storm that swept through Kentucky, Tennessee, Mississippi, Arkansas and Alabama. Teams from Federal Emergency Management Agency have been sent to the region and activated an emergency center in Georgia.

Tennessee Gov. Phil Bredesen surveyed the damage from a helicopter and said, "It looks like the Lord took a Brillo pad and scrubbed the ground."

A company spokesman said no one was killed in a huge explosion at a natural gas pumping plant in Tennessee.

The Nisource Gas Transmission spokesman said no one was working at the plant Tuesday night when it erupted in flames. He said a tornado likely hit the plant, causing the fire.

About 200 yards from the edge of the gas plant, Bonnie and Frank Brawner picked through the rubble of their home for photographs and other personal items. The storm sheared off the second story of the home and the remaining ceiling over the first floor was partially caved in.

"We had a beautiful neighborhood, now it's hell," said Bonnie Brawner, 80.

The nearby Castilian Springs post office was destroyed, and there was one confirmed death, WSMV-TV in Nashville reported.

Tennessee Hit Hard

Among the dead in Tennessee was a 70-year-old man whose mobile home was leveled in Macon County.

Tennessee officials said the storms injured as many as 75 people, demolished buildings, flipped vehicles and brought down a large wall at a shopping mall.

Macon County emergency director Keith Scruggs confirmed at least eight deaths from storm damage alone, WSMV reported.

"It's cut Macon County in two," Scruggs said of what is believed to be a tornado. "I've been working 34 years and I've never seen anything like this.

"Roads are blocked. It's massive. We can't tell the extent of the damage yet. They have search teams going out now to check subdivision developments, housing and more rural areas."

Severe storms damaged buildings at Union University in Jackson, Tenn., on Tuesday night, injuring 16 people, reported WSMV.

A spokesman for Union University in Jackson, Tenn., said eight students were reported trapped in a damaged dormitory at the university but weren't seriously injured, reported WSMV-TV in Nashville.

Union University President David Dockery said one-third of the campus was either damaged or destroyed. Dockery said the school would be closed until Feb. 13.

Bad Weather Nationwide

Bad weather was sweeping across the country Thursday.

People in the Midwest woke up Thursday to as much as 20 inches of snow.

In the Great Lakes region, homes and businesses were being threatened by flooding and rising rivers from days of heavy rain and melting snow.

Distributed by Internet Broadcasting Systems, Inc. The Associated Press contributed to this report.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Thread Information