MembersZone Subscriber

Question Alarm ringing response?

My department has recently instituted a much more aggressive alarm-ringing response. In the past, most occupancies got 1 unit to check out an alarm ringing (general, water-flow,unknown, etc) and it seemed to be working. Can anyone advise their current policy so I can have a comparison. Thanks.

MembersZone Subscriber

It depends on what type of structure and if its automatic or a call.

For residential, an AFA gets 1 engine and 1 special service (squad or truck). If it's called in and the caller says it's a malfunction, it gets 1 engine.

Commercial AFA's get 2 engines and a special service.

Forum Member

For AFA's we get 1 engine and 1 ladder truck. If the caller states that its an alarm malfunctions it's 1 engine.
    Wade Munday

www.Stafford2fire.com
    -and-
    www.fairfaxfire.org

RIP DET. VICKY ARMEL
    Fairfax County PD
    LODD
    End Of Watch 5-8-2006

RIP DEPUTY/FF JASON MOONEY
    Stafford Sheriffs/Stafford VFD
    LODD
    End Of Watch 10-19-2007

Forum Member

We will send 1 Engine Code 3 and a 1 Ladder Code 2 (with normal traffic)

In Montgomery County Maryland...........

Audible Alarm Bells get- 1 Engine, 1 Special Service

AFA (any structure other than a single family dwelling without confirmation of smoke or fire)- Same as above

Residential AFA- 1 Engine
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

MembersZone Subscriber

We respond 1 Engine & 1 Ladder to fire alarm systems. High risk alarms (high rise, high occupancy) also adds a Battalion Chief. Once enroute, and advised it is a accidental or false alarm, the 1st due unit will continue non emergency to verify it was false.

Forum Member

Alarm activation for us is a normal response. Same as an accident, structure fire, etc. Once a Fire Department official is on scene, the response can be downgraded.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

one engine hot - one engine cold for all automatic alarms.

If it is identified as malfunction prior to arrival, first due continues with traffic.

Let's talk fire trucks!

One engine, one special response (tower ladder or heavy rescue) for both commercial and residential...
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

MembersZone Subscriber

Pretty consistent with the rest.

One Engine, One Quint, the Chief brings the Utility/Command.

First due is hot, others are cold.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

Forum Member

Residential AFA gets an engine

Commercial AFA gets an engine and a ladder. If reported false alarm or accidental pull engine continues and ladder goes with traffic or will return.
    Hello. Fire dept.. You light'em, We fight'em!

"hard working, gear jamming, nail driving, "jake". "

IACOJ
    4-16-2010 "On the approach"

MembersZone Subscriber

All normal alarms get 1 engine, 1 tower, 1 ambo. Any calls that indicate a known false get the engine non-emergency and the others only continue if their on the road. All High risk (hotels, nursing homes, elderly housing, High hazard industrial) get 2 engines, tower, ambo, and chief.

Forum Member

We send 1 Pumper, 1 Tanker and usually a Chief or DC in POV
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by NeudorfJ View Post
    My department has recently instituted a much more aggressive alarm-ringing response. In the past, most occupancies got 1 unit to check out an alarm ringing (general, water-flow,unknown, etc) and it seemed to be working. Can anyone advise their current policy so I can have a comparison. Thanks.
    Depends...are you speaking of a phone alarm for someone reporting an alarm ringing in their building or on their street? Like a water flow gong?

Or are you refering to an automatic fire alarm notification from a licenced company like ADT....etc.?

Minimum 1 Engine 1 Truck (and usually a chief unless they believe it to be a CO det)

Auto alarm...usually 2 and 2 if not 3 and 2....but if availability is low...1 and 1.

FTM-PTB

Forum Member
    Waynesboro, VA, possibly relocating to Virginia Beach in the near future!

We send a full assignment: Two Engines, Truck, and EMS, unless there is a known alarm malfunction, to which we'll send 1 engine non-emergency.
    These are my opinions, not those of my career department, my volunteer company, or my affiliates. And by the way, I'm not a Junior.

Buy me a drink, sing me a song, take me as I come 'cause I can't stay long.

Johnny Greene: 2/3/45-5/2/04
    Forever in our hearts

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mcaldwell View Post
    Pretty consistent with the rest.

One Engine, One Quint, the Chief brings the Utility/Command.

First due is hot, others are cold.
    Same here, unless its a water flow alarm. That gets a full first alarm (3 engines, quint, rescue, DC) with all "hot".
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Forum Member

Default 4 boxes

Were a volly dept with 3 engines and 2 chiefs.

residential for anything - all our units go hot untill instructed by first arriving unit to downgrade

commercial for anything - all our units go hot as well as an automatic aid from surrounding towns for 1 100' tower W/additional engine (the town the tower comes from has an SOP if the truck goes an engine goes with it) and a 75' stick.

Schools while occupied - same as commercial, when not occupied just our units.

High rise - same as commercial, this is because the facility were talking about is a assisted living complex one of the buildings has no stand pipes

go hot untill the situation is deemed false you never know what comes in as the usual alarm at a given location one time could be the real deal (know from past experience) better to have it coming and down grade it than get there and say ooo crud where is everything cause the fires blowing out the windows.

Forum Member

It would be a dream land if we only sent 1 and 1 to afa's. 3 and 2 for bs is the norm.

MembersZone Subscriber

We used to send just the Quint with min staffing (3) on an AFA. Until last March we got called out for a residential AFA at 0530 and pulled up on scene with a working fire in the crawl space under the house. So we were there with just 3 FFs and 500 gallons of water for almost 5 minutes until the engine and tanker got there. Fortunately we were able to open up the floor and knock the fire down quickly, but if it had gotten up into the walls we would have been up shats creek without a paddle. The particular incident changes alot of peoples views on AFA responses.... for a little while. Now we're back to just the quint going with 3.
    I live to train so you can train to live.

Forum Member

For us it depends how many guys show up for the call. But we fill the trucks as if it were a working fire if we have enough guys. In town the captain will take the command unit and we will take the Tower and Pump - in that order. In the county the captain takes the command and we will take the Pump and Tanker.

If there is still enough guys the Rescue comes and the Chief responds to everything at his own discretion unless asked to respond by the captain. If it comes in as a fire and not an alarm the chief comes usually.
    www.firehall.com - check it out

Forum Member

Post "Bells ringing" response

We send our quint w/ 4 or 5 "on the reds" and everythign else "routine" until we get a size up. We protect both rural and suburban so it can take a few minutes to arrive in the rural areas if there isn't a Deputy available. What responds when is determined by where the building is. Hydranted areas engine is second, rural means tanker/tender is second.

Back In Black

We send a structure fire response minus FAST.

First unit (FD or PD) o/s with nothing showing will slow all other units down. Only FD unit can cancel the remaining FD responding.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

An alarm from a monitoring company receives first due engine. It makes no difference if its on the 52nd flr or a 1 story dwelling. A private caller reporting an alarming sounding with no evidence of smoke or fire still only gets first due engine. When first due engine is on another assignment, then the next due company goes (engine or ladder). When the next due company is a ladder the next due engine also goes. For instance, if our engine is first due but on another assigment, then we go as well as what would normally be the 2nd due engine. When it gets busy, it might just be us.
    Just another one of the 99%ers looking up.

Forum Member

commercial or residential alarms get the closest engine code 3..on a commercial alarm if dispatch gets thru to the location and determines it to be a false activation or a tech onscene testing then they will drop to code 1 and respond to check, residential alarm gets code 3 and if dispatch gets thru to the owner and determines it to be cooking or other false call officer can drop off the call...used to get one engine and one truck to all alarms but they dropped off the truck about 12 years ago..

Forum Member

Interesting. We treat an alarm call the same as a structure fire. Our own area we roll everything, on a support call we roll our pumper.
    "Professional" means your attitude to the job...

Nullus Anxietas ..... (T Pratchett)

Forum Member

Again,
    They call we go
    U dont know what u have untill u GET THERE and INVESTIGATE INSIDE AND OUT, Only Chief or Officer can hold and cancel
    Firefighter for Vestal 32-2

American Red Cross Volunteer

Thread Information