Forum Member

Default Paramedic Schools

Does anyone know of a nationally accredited paramedic schools in Pennsylvania?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mpullen32 View Post
    Does anyone know of a nationally accredited paramedic schools in Pennsylvania?
    I don't think there is such a thing - anywhere. Even states that mandate National Registry have their own state licensures that you will have to pay and jump through hoops for.
    Last edited by MemphisE34a; 02-07-2008 at 04:26 PM.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

makes good girls go bad

You mean a school that will let you sit for NREMT-P?
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

Forum Member

Yes, I am looking into getting my national cert. However I am not sure how to go about it. If anyone can explain the process it will be greatly appreciated .

Forum Member

Default Medic Schools

Just try google for Paramedic Course in PA. Or call a local fire department and ask them where they send there people.

I googled quick it and found:

http://education-portal.com/director...te_Career.html

Looks like they offer a Paramedic program in Essington, Lester, and Pittsburgh.

Forum Member

I know the State of Ohio just sent out a notice that says by 2012, any first time paramedic applicant to the State of Ohio has to have gone through a Nationally Accredited School...which I as told there are only 6 in the state.

Forum Member

from what iv experienced it seems like most EMT cert is through community colleges. now i could be entirely wrong about that, i just know thats the route im going.

here in aurora colorado at aurora community college i can get paramedic certification in 11 months. gonna have to bust my *** to do it but thats how it is here.

Forum Member

Thanks for the information and help everyone. I have found a school located in Philadelphia that I believe will suit my needs.

makes good girls go bad

Are you an EMT with field experience?
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

Forum Member

Currently, No. I am looking into taking the emt course this summer through my county. I am currently just looking into alternatives right now, coming up with a plan b.

makes good girls go bad

Paramedic is not plan B. Paramedic is something to work towards. Paramedic is good BLS before good ALS. Get at least 2 years of street time as an EMT, not doing interfacility, doing 911. Trust me, when you go off to Medic school, things WILL click.
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FireDawgEMT22 View Post
    I know the State of Ohio just sent out a notice that says by 2012, any first time paramedic applicant to the State of Ohio has to have gone through a Nationally Accredited School...which I as told there are only 6 in the state.
    That's the big push right now. In Missouri, you can still teach medic if you aren't a college, but it's damn hard to get the authorization.

Most everyone that does a paramedic course is at least a 2-year accredited school. By 2012 it may be required to have an associates degree, if the powers-that-be have their way.

MembersZone Subscriber

Currently, No. I am looking into taking the emt course this summer through my county. I am currently just looking into alternatives right now, coming up with a plan b.
    It's hard to tell how familiar you are with the process by the limited information you've posted, but you do realize you have to have your EMT to get into medic school, don't you? Not to assume you don't know, but the "plan b" thing makes me wonder.

I don't know about PA, but around here a lot of schools are requiring some sort of experience. I've got one of my vollies in medic class now. While he just got his EMT license, he does have several years of experience running on medical calls as a first responder (certified) and riding the ambulance on his days off from school. I know several that have gone straight from EMT to medic and have proven to be damn good medics. However, like I say, it's dependant on their attitude and knowledge.

While I don't think x number of years on an ambulance is necessary (I know medics that rode for 10 years and aren't worth the paper their license is printed on), it's going to do nothing but help. What makes a good medic is someone with the right knowledge and attitude. No offense to EMTs (I was one), but you don't gain that much experience practical to ALS working as an EMT. Sadly, medic requires a lot of "on the job" training. They give you the tools, make you do some ride time, and set you loose. You start with the BLS stuff and work your way up to the ALS stuff on the street. Can't get to step B without finishing step A.

makes good girls go bad

Quote Originally Posted by Catch22 View Post
    While I don't think x number of years on an ambulance is necessary (I know medics that rode for 10 years and aren't worth the paper their license is printed on), it's going to do nothing but help. What makes a good medic is someone with the right knowledge and attitude. No offense to EMTs (I was one), but you don't gain that much experience practical to ALS working as an EMT. Sadly, medic requires a lot of "on the job" training. They give you the tools, make you do some ride time, and set you loose. You start with the BLS stuff and work your way up to the ALS stuff on the street. Can't get to step B without finishing step A.
    I believe that getting some time under your belt, and seeing if this job is for you is important before going on to Medic school. Not to mention, depending where you work, you will get some ALS experience. Setting up the monitor, watching the Medics do ALS procedures, learning what medications are used for what illnesses, your SAMPLE hx, using OPQRST, and DCAP-BTLS.

By working on a BLS bus in NJ, I feel much, much more confident in my skills.
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Nationally Accredited School in PA

If you want a very good nationally Accredited program in PA there is a place that offers an associates degree and a BS and also now a Certificate course and thats the Pennsylvania College Of Technology in Williamsport. I went there for 3 semesters then had to withrw due to a lack of funding but it is an awesome course and its a great training center.

Check out the school and the program at

http://www.pct.edu/schools/hs/paramedic/

Good Luck its ranked #5 in the country for paramedic programs and they create what we refer to around here as SuperMedics.

Proud Dad.

Message retracted out of posterity.

Thank you
    Last edited by enginerider50; 02-09-2008 at 12:35 AM.
    http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w104/co50ffyetter/New%20Rescue5-1/th_Rescue51.jpg
    Yes the rigs are green. Can't lose a green fire engine in a parade, right?

Forum Member

Being a paramedic is not rocket science. If you go to a good program, and you have the raw mental ability, you can easily become a good paramedic without spending much time on an ambulance at any level.

I'd reccomend looking into a resident program like the one offered at the University of Iowa EMSLRC -

It is one of the few accredited programs.

http://www.uihealthcare.com/depts/emslrc/index.html

Good Luck.

Permanently Removed

Quote Originally Posted by Geinandputitout View Post
    Being a paramedic is not rocket science. If you go to a good program, and you have the raw mental ability, you can easily become a good paramedic without spending much time on an ambulance at any level.
    I would have to respectfully disagree. Based on the numberous Paramedic graduates I have spoken too- "Its one of the hardest things I have ever done in my life".

And these were fairly top notch, expereinced Candidates to begin with.

Paramdic school is something I always wanted to pursue in my career.
    Last edited by CALFFBOU; 02-09-2008 at 05:49 PM.

makes good girls go bad

I just love the flippant attitude displayed towards Medic school. I guess thats why there are so many shiity paramedics....
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF

Forum Member

National Registry is just a company that writes the tests for most of the states. There is no real national certification. They chose a name that we fell for. I dropped my NR card the first chance I could. You can always test and get it back.
    Jason Brooks
    IAFF Local 2388
    IACOJ

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Geinandputitout View Post

Good Luck.
    Yeah I would have to disagree. If you dont have an excellent BLS skill and assessment set, then the bigger tool box wont do much to help you....other than maybe overwhelm you.

BLS before ALS always, and if you dont have good BLS skills you wont be worth anything as an ALS provider. I am a firm beleiver that you need time as a Basic on a squad before going to medic school. Sure anyone can pass the test and the class, but the real test is in the field. And if you can work on an ALS squad as a basic, even better, allow you to see how important your BLS is to the ALS world. And see the continuation of what you can do to what you will be able to do.

makes good girls go bad

Quote Originally Posted by FireDawgEMT22 View Post
    Yeah I would have to disagree. If you dont have an excellent BLS skill and assessment set, then the bigger tool box wont do much to help you....other than maybe overwhelm you.

BLS before ALS always, and if you dont have good BLS skills you wont be worth anything as an ALS provider. I am a firm beleiver that you need time as a Basic on a squad before going to medic school. Sure anyone can pass the test and the class, but the real test is in the field. And if you can work on an ALS squad as a basic, even better, allow you to see how important your BLS is to the ALS world. And see the continuation of what you can do to what you will be able to do.
    Can I get an amen?!
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF

Forum Member

Look guys. I'm not knocking the profession. I've been a paramedic for 10 years, and have worked in EMS systems for nearly 15. I've run thousands of calls and will put my BLS or ALS skills against anyones. I've worked in a variety of systems. I haven't done everything, but I do a reasonable appreciation for EMS.

I have seen lots of paramedics, both good and bad. Most of the bad ones were from lower level paramedic training programs that do not have rigorous entrance requirements. They accept a lower quality student, and in general produce lower quality paramedic.

As for paramedic school being the most difficult thing that people do, I'd say that they haven't done very many challenging things. Most of the classes I took in undergraduate school were as hard as anything that I did during paramedic school.

Paramedicine is cookbook medicine. If you have X do Y. The only creativity in the whole thing is lifting and moving patients from the third floor to the truck.

Let me state this clearly, I don't have any disrespect for the profession. I have fed my family, purchased cars, paid for college, purchased homes, and made the best friends of my life riding around in ambulances. It is a noble and honorable profession, but it ain't rocket science. Lets be realistic about what we are talking about.
    Last edited by Geinandputitout; 02-09-2008 at 09:14 PM. Reason: typo

Forum Member

I do agree with you that lower quality programs have a greater chance of producing a lower quality medic. However I wouldnt say its cookbook medicine. I am an Intermediate, currently in medic school. But I work on an ALS rig with medics. I see it is alot more of thinking about okay this is how the patient is presenting, this is what will help them. and this treatment wont help them, even though they have the classic presentation requiring x and y treatments.

Which is why I say we need the strong BLS skills, be able to assess the lung sounds, know what a cyanotic pt looks like, know that we need to put a pt in trendelumberg before we stick em eith some lines, that we need to give them Oxygen for those PVC's before we bolus them and start a lidocaine drip.

Thread Information