Thread: EMT to Medic

Everyone goes home!

Default EMT to Medic

I am 19 i will be 20 in august i am currently in emt school and was wondering if i should jump right into medic or wait a year before doing so i have been told different things and was wondering what other people think? please let me know

Forum Member

Default take your time

this is a personal opinion, take it fwiw

i was an emt for 12 years before i went to medic. and boy am i glad. EMT's who have some months or years in the field generally do very well when it comes time to upgrade. Watching other medics work was a boon for me, and only helped me master the skills I needed when i became a paramedic.

i watched several of my fellow classmates drop out one by one who had done the EMT-medic school thing. with no experience and some never even being in an ambulance, almost everyone of them dropped out. eventaully (in my class of 50) NONE of the folks who did back to back stayed in EMS/FD. Many of them learned in the field that they just weren't cut out for ther job. thats a ton of time and money to waste to find out EMS isnt for you.

My advice is to finish your EMT, and get a job for a Private or transporting FD. Learn the ropes of being in the back of a rig. learn how to be an EXCELLENT EMT for your paramedic. Learn FROM paramedics (ones that you know are on top of the game) how to be a good EMT. Everyone's learning curve and tolerance for the job is different.

If you have any more questions, let me know.

Good luck, and remember, EMS isnt for everyone, but be passionate about it if you DO enjoy it. You will be very rewarded.

josh

holm@ntfire.net

Josh

MembersZone Subscriber

Wait a year, you'll need experience. Sure you can become a medic, but lot of places look for the experience. Besides, maybe you won't like it.

FLA1786
    Firehouse.com Guest

A lot of people tell you different things cause everyone is different. Do what you want and feel comfortable with.

Forum Member

Im in the same boat. I am currently top in my class in EMT and I am eyeing Paremedic school. Some people make it see mlike it is the hardest thing you will ever do. A few of the people who are finishing up this semester say it isnt really that bad. It seems to be the people who have had the cert less than a year who make it seem so impossible.
    FF/Paramedic

MembersZone Subscriber

It depends on if you feel your ready for the commitment because that it what Medic school, is a commitment the more commited you are the easier it will be.

The other factor you need to consider is where you are, if you live some place that you need be to medic to get a job, or is a huge plus then do it.

The final fact is your 20 years old so going to school still comes easy to you.

FLA1786
    Firehouse.com Guest

Quote Originally Posted by TNFF319 View Post
    Im in the same boat. I am currently top in my class in EMT and I am eyeing Paremedic school. Some people make it see mlike it is the hardest thing you will ever do. A few of the people who are finishing up this semester say it isnt really that bad. It seems to be the people who have had the cert less than a year who make it seem so impossible.
    As the guy above me said being 20 makes going to school easier. Also most people who get into being a paramedic or ff/pm have never really lived the schedule that is medic school. I know everywhere is different but for the most part it is a 6 to 7 day a week deal. EMT school is nothing as far as time and studying compared to it. If you are ready for that, then you are fine. You almost HAVE to get a job as an EMT when you finish the semester. If you're not gonna wait the year then its a great idea to at least work as an EMT during medic school. Its also kinda funny cause there will always be the people who waited a year but never got a job...or just did dispatch. Here is a sample schedule for someone who works enough hours to pay bills:

Monday - Work
    Tuesday - School 930am-530pm
    Wednesday - Clinical 12 hours
    Thurs - School 930-530
    Fri - Work
    Sat - Work
    Sun - Work
    Mon - Clinical
    Tues - School
    Wed - Work
    Thur - School
    Fri - Clinical
    Sat - clinical
    Sun - off or extra work shift or clinical

Thats from working as an EMT for a company that uses the A/B shift system where you work every other weekend. As you can see, maybe one day off in 14 is hard for people. Just know what you are getting into and you'll be fine.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TNFF319 View Post
    I agree with this. It really depends on how well you think you know the material. Getting some experience before paramedic school will also help you a lot. As long as you got good study habits and time management you should be fine.

Forum Member

Im only an EMT, but from working with paramedics I can tell you those that are good basics are good paramedics. Those that are crappy basics, make crappy medics.

Forum Member

Thumbs up EMT to Medic

Well I am only a EMT with a light touch of ALS scope. My big qualifier for talking here is my wife is a medic and I work on call with her and a few other good medics at a hospital based Ambulance. The Medic from one of the two Ambulances works in the ER as an assistant to the nurse and Doc. The EMT works alot of the time in the ER too especially when they are swamped. The best advice is that you need to know how to control the scene as a medic or an EMT and deal with fire, police, bystandards, and such when you show up on scene. As a medic you are pretty much the go to guy/gal onscene for care of the patient. If you don't know how to control your patients care especially with a bunch of crusty old f.f. around they are gonna take over and the scene is going to end up running you. I am lucky in the fact that I am already incident commander certified for wildland operations and such and understand how scenes unfold and how important they are to control. Not to mention the time I have gotten in the back and in the ER have taught me alot about myself as an EMT. Basics and scene control are everything. I have established myself as a competent EMT with the local Volunteers in the area two of which offer ALS service. It is at the point now that I show up on scene and the medic checks the patient and all the FF check in with me to see what we need as the ambulance. Several other EMT's and Medics get run over by the ALS volunteers here, because they are percieved as not in control or waiting for orders from someone else on scene. Mostly the intern medics that come here without any prior EMS experince. Best advice is do a year or so as an EMT function in your scope. See if you even like it then go to medic school. Your still young. Get an EMT job where you can see what happens in the ER and be able to follow your patients. It will open your eyes a bit to the full scope of pre-hospital and hospital care that you can provide as an EMT and Medic. I'm currently applying to medic school and have Medics, MICN, nurses, and Docs all wanting to write letters of recommendation for my application and scholarships. Imagine how much better of a canidate you look like with these types of refs. When applying to medic school!

Forum Member

My thought is definately wait a while. get a good grasp on the basics of basic before goinginto Medic school. ALWAYS WALWAYS ALWAYS BLS before ALS. If you suck at BLS your gonna suck at ALS. You might even want to go to intermediate school also. It is only another 120 hours on top of your basic, so its just like a second basic class, but it will really help you in medic school. and will let you practice those IV's so you can become really good at em when your a medic.

MembersZone Subscriber

Working EMT here and another vote for gaining some real world experience before going to medic school. Doing what you learned in class and doing it in the field are two completely different animals....

Thread Information