Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Handie Talkies for everyone???

With the NFPA pushing the 1710 issue, I am suprised that they have not come up with a standard for equiping personnel with radios.....Or have they, and I just don't know it??

Does your dept. have a handie talkie (portable) for everyone on the rig? I work in a mid sized dept. that still only has one or (strong) maybe 2 radios per rig. this typically means the company officers, some drivers, and chiefs are the only ones with HT's.......

If you would, please include dept size, population, paid/voliie......Thanks

Any comments???

One for every riding position here.

Officers are issued portables to have with them in their vehicles and to be brought on all calls.

Some FFs went out and bought their own as well.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

Forum Member

Many times when I am running the pump I will have the truck radio set to fire ground channel and my portable set to the dispatch channel.

Can never have too much communication, and as ^^he^^ said we have one for every riding position on every truck, well almost every truck...(exluce safety officer truck, and two ambulances

Every person of every rank on duty has a radio, approxinately 115-120. Population is 250,000 +. One reason is so everyone can hear what's going on at all times. Loss of water, partial collapes, emergency evacuation whatever. Each radio,and microphone, has an emergency alert button so every FF can send a distress signal not just the officer.

Forum Member

We have one radio for each person on the rig. Our pop. is over 430K, 210 sq miles, 300 line firefighters, approx 70 volunteers. B/C rigs carry around five spare portable radios. B/C's have two portables; one for the fire channel and one to monitor the "mayday" channel during fires.

Everyone is issued a radio upon becoming a member. Vollie, 24 members, pop. ~2100. Since this is the first department I have been on I don't know any better but I am sure that having a HT is much better than not.

One radio for every seat. (2 engines, 1 ladder, 1 squad, 2 tankers, 1 brush, 1 car) We just recieved an Fed AFG grant to supply everyone on the dept. with a radio to keep with their gear. The officers carry their own all the time.

We are a volley dept covering 172 sq. miles village/rural. population 3200 in town another 6k to 8k rural.

34 man vollie dept., population of fire district is at or around 7,000 at or around 120 square miles. Everyone is issued two Kenwood radios, one of which is a radio/padger.

Every person on ever unit has an HT. when on duty.

Forum Member

combination, 35 paid, 75 active volunteers
    3 radios per engine
    1 for officer
    1 for driver
    1 for hydrant man due to our hydrants usually being out of sight from the engine
    we usually run 2 man engines
    we have 2 radios for all other rigs, brush, tenders, aid cars, and all high ranking officers have their own (chiefs/captains)

Forum Member

We have a radio for every riding position. Also, some of our members who do not regularly get to ride the rigs, but drive to the scene, have bought their own radios. We operate on 400 mhz utilizing a Pyramid Repeater System on our apparatus converting it to low band, which is what our county operates on. Members can pick a 400 mhz portable up on Ebay for around $200.00 and then get it programmed. Our company consists of 2 engines, 1 tanker, 1 tower ladder, 1 rescue, 1 brush unit, a squad and command car covering 98 square miles. Also, each Chief Officer is assigned their own portable.

Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

My career FD has a portable for each riding position and the meds have 2, one for firefighting and one for ems.

My volly FD has a portable for each officer and mpo, with enough portables for each interior crew. We are adding more portables to try and have enough for everyone.

To me it is a safety issue and every one should have a portable radio for accountability and their own protection if they became trapped or lost in a structure.

Quote Originally Posted by RFRDxplorer View Post
    One for every riding position here.

Officers are issued portables to have with them in their vehicles and to be brought on all calls.

Some FFs went out and bought their own as well.
    Same here.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Some Guy

Everyone has a radio.
    This space for rent

Forum Member

Every regular firefighter has a radio. Probationary firefighters do not. Each engine & truck also has one radio for use.

Post Motor mouths?

Some of you must have some great training programs for radio disipline to issue a HT to every member. We have some people in my department that I wish they would take their radio away from them. They won't shut up.
    In my volunteer department (38 active members, 7500 pop. 32 sq.mi.) all line officers (3 chiefs, captain, 4 LTs.) are issued a HT. There is one in each engine for the driver/operator, 6 in our rescue for the driver and interior firefighting teams. Our Fire Police (6) also are issued radios with their special channel added in. Every one that is issued one has a call number based on our county's system. We also keep spare batteries in a bank charger on our rescue, too. We are hoping with our next grant to update some of them and get one for me and the other safety officer.
    Each team that goes inside must have at least one radio and is designated by either the officer leading the team or is given a team number. As I said above, we have some people that like to hear them selves talk over the radio so much even the county dispatchers have told them to shut up. That is one reason why not every one gets a radio. The other reason is cost. We are a bedroom community with a shrinking tax base, that is why we depend on the AFG grants to help us out.
    "Your spill is our thrill."

Every rig here has 4 assigned so every member has one on duty. Kind of hard to call a Mayday if you get separated or in trouble without one. We have about 100 jakes, pop. around 120,000. Seven stations, eight staffed rigs. Kevin
    FTM-PTB-RFB
    IACOJ

Let's talk fire trucks! BoxAlarm187's Avatar

At work, we have 4 radios assigned to each engine, tower, and heavy rescue (20 engines, 5 towers, and 3 heavy rescues). Each ambulance has two assigned (total of 11 ambulances).

In the volly county, each engine has two radios assigned, and one each on the brush rigs, tankers, and other support vehicles. The heavy rescue has two. We're trying to get additional radios, but we'll see how the budget works.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

MembersZone Subscriber

Career department: Pop. 47,994, 73 personnel (4 8-hour chiefs), three shifts of one BC, 5 trucks with 4 min., total of 23 each shift with 3 more starting in a month.

Everyone on duty and all chiefs have a radio assigned. The BC has a portable as well as two mobiles in his vehicle for fireground and dispatch frequencies.

Vollie department: Pop. approx 3,200 district-wide, 23 personnel.

All personnel are assigned a radio, with spares on apparatus. NO ONE operates a pump or performs any function inside the "warm zone" unless they have a portable.

Communications training isn't an issue. You speak when spoken to by the IC (or other officer needing info) or when conditions warrant. For example: if you adjust the nozzle setting; you radio it, the engineer copies, and it's done. Short, sweet, and to the point.

Forum Member

Volunteer department. All active firefighters can get a portable. Trucks are supposed to have 4-6 portables, however some disappear. They also are split between our county and station portables. So technically, there are not enough on the truck for each person. However, most if not all firefighters should have their own with them, so its not an issue.

Thread Information