Forum Member

Question I/o Solutions Test

Has Anyone Recently Taken The I/o Solutions : National Firefighter Selection Inventory Test. I Have The Study Guide. I Am Going To Take The Actual Test In Mid March.

I Want To Know If Anyone Knows Where I Can Take This Test Within The Next Few Weeks. I Heard You Can Pay Around $50 To Take The Actual Test (you May Have To Drive Out Of State). I Want To Take The Test Now So I Will Have A Better Chance Of Passing It In The Future. I Live In The Las Vegas Area. I Know A Guy Who Took The Actual Chw Test Two Weeks Before Las Vegas's Actual Test Date.
    The Test He Took Prior Was The Actual, Word For Wordtest Offered By Las Vegas City.
    Thanks

Forum Member

Default io solutions

I have taken the io solutions test 4 times and have done a lot of research in to their testing methods. Which study guide do you have? I suggest the enhanced version because the questions are very similar to what you will see on the actual test. The test is broken down into 2 parts. 105 general knowledge questions followed by 50 personality based questions. Here is where I disagree with their testing methods. Although they tell you there are no right or wrong answers on the personality portion, points are deducted from your final score based on their formula for scoring the questions. You could ace the general knowledge section and end up failing the test based on your answers to the personality questions. I was able to get this information from a city who allowed canidates the chance to review the test and dispute any questions. I only missed 2 questions on the general knowledge portion but my overall test score dropped to a 79% after the personality portion was figured in and you can't dispute those questions. As far as taking a practice exam, that is up to you but I feel the enhanced version is good enough. Just try not to overthink the personality portion.

publicsafetytesting.com uses this test. If you were to take one of their exams, you would be taking it for real. They dont let you look at what you missed though, so you would only get a % which is not really something useful to study with.

Forum Member

Smile

thanks guys

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jpickle99 View Post
    I have taken the io solutions test 4 times and have done a lot of research in to their testing methods. Which study guide do you have? I suggest the enhanced version because the questions are very similar to what you will see on the actual test. The test is broken down into 2 parts. 105 general knowledge questions followed by 50 personality based questions. Here is where I disagree with their testing methods. Although they tell you there are no right or wrong answers on the personality portion, points are deducted from your final score based on their formula for scoring the questions. You could ace the general knowledge section and end up failing the test based on your answers to the personality questions. I was able to get this information from a city who allowed canidates the chance to review the test and dispute any questions. I only missed 2 questions on the general knowledge portion but my overall test score dropped to a 79% after the personality portion was figured in and you can't dispute those questions. As far as taking a practice exam, that is up to you but I feel the enhanced version is good enough. Just try not to overthink the personality portion.
    Does anyone have access to the answers to the personality portion of the test?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by xstalkrx View Post
    for the most part, each department is different as to what they want their answers to be...either way, there's no way to access the "answers" as far as i know. it would compromise the testing process.
    Evan
    Firefighter/NREMT-B

Forum Member

Default Some People Will Just Never Learn!!!

Quote Originally Posted by xstalkrx View Post
    Wait a minute...let me search around hear... ah yes, I think I left the personality portion answers right next to the go codes from NORAD! Are you freaking kidding me! I guess you don't realize it, but having or trying to obtain the exact answers to a test before taking the test is what most departments call CHEATING!!!

Since your ignorant Cowtown postings, I would have thought you would have learned your lesson as to what to post on a public forum. I apologize xstalkrx for thinking that by some miracle, you would have by now absorbed any of what people here were trying to tell you.
    IF YOU CAN'T TAKE THE HEAT, GO BE A COP!

MembersZone Subscriber

take the test and relax answer the personality questions honestly... I am a good test taker and I did not look too much into the questions. I scored a 100 first time through

MembersZone Subscriber

jpickle99 is right on with his comments. Also, there are a number of older threads about this exam that you might find helpful.

I personally believe that the I/O Solutions test is an invalid assessment tool because such a large % of your score is based upon a statistically insignificant sample of opinion based questions. They are trying to mimic the personality tests a psychologist may administer at a psych exam. The difference is that a real psych test will include a reputable, clinically proven test such as the MMPI-2. The MMPI-2 is 567 questions and is evaluated answer by answer by an actual psychologist. The results are then used in combination with a number of other exams (some consisting of 800+ questions) to provide topics of concern that will be addressed during a face-to-face interview. This feedback allows the examinee a chance to explain any answers that raised a red flag and also allows the examiner an opportunity to determine whether or not they feel the candidate is being truthful and genuine.

The personality portion of the I/O test is only 50 questions. Basically, there are 25 which are each asked in two different phrasings. There is no feedback provided after the exam, there is no chance to explain your answers, and you are given a score by a computer without another human ever seeing your answers. The computer actually gives your personality a score to 1/100th of a percent and combines that with the results of the 8th grade level questions that you complete in the general knowledge section.

All I can think of while I write this is that I am surprised they haven't been sued yet.

Thread Information