Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Is My Career Over?

Hey all,

I happened to stumble across this forum, and this is my first post. Iím 24 years old, hold FF1 certs in both Washington and California and have been a either a Volunteer or Paid-Call firefighter since I was 17. Two I was playing football with my friends, fell during the game, and suffered a Grade 5 acromioclavicular joint (A/C) separation in my left shoulder (im assuming I can't post links, you can see a description of the injury if you Google "Shoulder Separation.") Most of the time this injury requires no treatment and you can expect a 3-6mo recovery time. However due to the severity of the separation and the lack of progress after 7 months I elected to have reconstruction surgery. Its been about 6 months since then, and although Iím out of my sling, I still have severe pain and weakness.

My question to the forum: Have any firefighters here experienced the same or a similar injury and have they successfully returned to work?

Thanks, I hope to become part of this community
    Stay Safe,
    Mvcode3

MembersZone Subscriber

Default AC Separation

If your orthopoedist released you and said it's stable, and it only involved the AC joint, and nothing else, then rehabbed right, you should be fine. The problem is, the shoulder is a very mobile joint, with only muscles, tendons and ligaments to hold it stable.

What did your doc say? Was your rotator cuff injured? The supraspinatus tendon is often compromised in a fall on an outstretched arm. Let me know the mechanism of injury, and the doctor's impression of prognosis. Then I can give you more specific answers... and ideas...

Dr. Jen
    www.fireagility.com
    Last edited by Drjmilus; 02-22-2008 at 10:29 AM.

Thread Information