Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Is Knoxville Hiring

Hey

Im going up to knoxville for a couple of weeks and I am wondering if they are hiring because the whole state of florida is basically in a hiring freeze after amendment 1 pasted...

So if anyone knows of anything i would appreciate it.

Forum Member

Default Knoxville

Hello, I hope you are doing well. Knoxville is getting ready to start a 21 week Fire Academy either the middle of March or middle of April. The way the City of Knoxville works is that they have a testing period every year. Usually between the months of March-May, the testing just varys. The best way to keep up with everything is to check the City Website www.ci.knoxville.tn.us go to the employment page and they will have it posted. Once you test your score is good for two years. If I can be of any further assistance feel free to let me know.

Knoxville is a great City and the Fire Department is one of the Best around.

Good Luck in your decision.

CM

Forum Member

Hey CM-
    Does previous experience and having EMT-IV help you in the selection process?

MembersZone Subscriber BigBruno's Avatar

Default cmfireguy

Hey brother! Greetings from a fellow career firefighter in Eastern WV! I am looking to relocate to Eastern Tennessee within the next year or so. I am very interested in Knoxville Fire Dept. Reading your previous posts, I see you are a career firefighter there.

A couple quick questions, if I may. 1) Does the Knoxville salary allow folks to buy a home in some of the surrounding counties, or do ya'll have to work other jobs on your K days? The reason I ask is because I live in the Eastern Panhandle of WV (basically a suburb of Washington, DC) and the cost of living has skyrocketed. Comparing the cost of living/wages in TN with the cost of living/wages here, it is somewhat hard for me to find the relativity and putting things into perspective (Sounds silly, I know!)

2) What kind of info can you give me on the department? I am very interested to know more about manning, traditions, EMS staffing, fireground procedures, etc. By the way, I visited 6 Engine's website and I must say, fantastic!!!

Thanks again brother!

Forum Member

Default Update Information

Starting On Monday March 10th 2008, The City of Knoxville will be accepting applications for the position of Firefighter Recruit. The application deadline is Thursday April 10th 2008 at 5pm. The Written Exam will be Saturday May 3, 2008. Starting pay for a Firefighter Recruit is 26,500 after completion of the Fire Academy Salary will increase to 27,000.

Check the City of Knoxville's Website at www.cityofknoxville.org for further information.

If you have any further questions please feel free to ask.

Forum Member

Default question for cmfireguy

I know the starting salary is 27,000 but ballpark what can I expect to bring home after retirement,taxes, insurance, etc? How does the pay increase after that? Also I am a paramedic. I already got my hired letter and am excited about working there. Do you have to work a second job or is there OT?

Forum Member

Default Pt Job

With Taxes and everything taken out your take home will be about $745. plus or minus a few dollars. You will not be able to work a part time job in the Academy, but you may want a pt time job after. Remember you will only work about 10 days a month. Most Everyone does work part time.

Good Luck

Forum Member

Default Try this brothers...

http://cgi.money.cnn.com/tools/costo...form&x=37&y=13

BTW..I am also looking to relocate to the east Tenn. area.

Forum Member

Default cost calculator

I have looked at those calculators before, but I just wonder how accurate they are. I know knoxville, TN is much cheaper than Orlando, but my salary on paper will take a big cut. It looks like it will all work out though.

as for overtime, it used to be the norm but is getting more scarce as new recruits are coming in. so it would be wise not to expect it but if you do get it, then it's a plus. goodluck to anyone going thru the process and i look forward to working with you.
    Last edited by KNOXFF; 04-03-2008 at 01:37 PM.

Forum Member

As I said, MOST everyone works a part time job. I would be bored out of my mind if I sat at home 20 days out of the month, therefore why not work a part time job somewhere and make a few extra bucks to get some things that you want.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by KNOXFF View Post
    cost of living is pretty cheap here in knoxville, other than rising gas costs which are affecting all of us. as for me, i do not have a part time job and make it just fine. anyone who gets hired here should be fine as long as they budget themselves good. as for overtime, it used to be the norm but is getting more scarce as new recruits are coming in. so it would be wise not to expect it but if you do get it, then it's a plus. goodluck to anyone going thru the process and i look forward to working with you.
    May i ask to where you are comparing the cost of living??? here in Lenoir City it sure isn't cheap by a long shot!!!

i'm comparing it to other cities with bigger populations. say for instance $30000 wouldn't get you far in new york or san fran but small cities like lenoir or athens $30000 would take you a long way...kinda get it? again, goodluck to all those that have made it into the academy.
    Last edited by KNOXFF; 04-03-2008 at 01:38 PM.

and just to clarify things, my rent is extremley low so that does help with my situation. if i had the rent most people had then i too would probably need a part-time job even if i managed my money good. so i can understanding most having part-time jobs. everybody's situation is different...just wanted to add that.

Forum Member

So, is anyone else taken the written exam on May 3rd?

Forum Member

Can anyone who has been through the process give us some input on the written and PAT? Just wondering if there was anything unusual or different than other tests we should know about.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Ansewers for FFPE99

Hey, I just finished the process and was hired recently. The written and PAT are all basis tests. The written is a very, very basic exam.(math,reading,following instructions, reading diagrams, etc.) As far as the PAT it goes exactly as it is shown in the diagrams with your application. The one thing they dont tell you is that if you are stronger in one area then it will help you with you weaker ones. They add your scores from the three events up and devise a overall score. So if you only stay on the stabilometer for 14sec total but you do 60 sit-ups in a minute then the extra sit-ups make up for time lost on the stabilometer. I hope that makes sense. Anyway, Im sure you'll do fine. Any more questions just ask.

Forum Member

Awesome, thanks for the info B.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFPE99 View Post
    Awesome, thanks for the info B.
    Are you taking the written on Saturday?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick88 View Post
    Are you taking the written on Saturday?
    Yeah, you?

Thread Information