Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Training

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Training

I am looking for some help. I am doing a project of "Advantages and Disadvantages of Using Diesel Fuel for Live Fire Training Evolutions. I have looked all over and can not find any good resources.

You probably can't find anything about the advantages and disadvantages of using diesel fuel for live fire training because it is illegal by NFPA standards on live fire training.

Probably, no one in their right mind is going to give an "advantage" to using diesel fuel in a written document or on an open forum. For more information take a look at NFPA 1403.
    Good Luck, Stay Low & Stay Safe

Nate DeMarse
    Co-Owner, Brotherhood Instructors, LLC.
    http://brotherhoodinstructors.com
    Facebook Users: Join us here
    -------------------------------
    GET IN THE JOB, BE A STUDENT OF THE JOB!

Don't use diesel fuel... period. Diesel fuel belongs in the tanks of fire trucks.. not as an acellerant for fire training.

Like Nate stated.. check out NFPA 1403. It is one of the freebies they put on their website.
    Last edited by CaptainGonzo; 02-11-2008 at 07:39 AM. Reason: spelling correction
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Quote Originally Posted by opiegvfd View Post
    I am looking for some help. I am doing a project of "Advantages and Disadvantages of Using Diesel Fuel for Live Fire Training Evolutions. I have looked all over and can not find any good resources.
    You might want to try a project about the difference between natural gas and straw/pallets for live burns. They both have their advantages and disadvantages. Let us know how it goes.
    Just someone trying to help! (And by the way....Thanks for YOUR help!)

Aggressive does not have to equal stupid.

** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

NFPA 1403 4.3.6 Flammable or combustible liquids, as defined in NFPA 30, Flammable and Combustible Liquids Code, shall not be used in live fire training evolutions in acquired structures
    Hello. Fire dept.. You light'em, We fight'em!

"hard working, gear jamming, nail driving, "jake". "

IACOJ
    4-16-2010 "On the approach"

MembersZone Subscriber

I know that 1403 say you can not use it, but in North Carolina they have an amendment to 1403. An instructor can use diesel fuel for pre-application and only pre-application.

Forum Member

Don't do it!! A pile of old pallets and some hay works just fine. As is/was said NFPA 1403.

Here's a big advantage of using diesel fuel for live fire training:

IT KILLS MORE FIREFIGHTERS!!!!!

DON'T USE IT! EVER!

If you think you need diesel to have a "good" live burn evolution, your a complete and total DUMBASS! PERIOD!
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    http://www.tfdfire.com/
    "Fir na tine"

Forum Member

20 years ago in the Navy we used fire props fueled by Diesel.

They would have about 12 in of water in the bottom and put enough diesel over the top that the floating diesel would burn.

As a 17yo kid, it was real intimidating to see the 20ft flames coming out the windows and the deep black smoke, then be handed a navy brass nozzle on an 1 1/2 line and told, "Get in there", no nomex, no scba, no breathing apparatus.

Navy's focus was on fighting Class B fires in a shipboard environment. They didn't think anything but real Class B fuels was good enough.

My understanding is that all of those old props are gone and they use propane/natural gas fired props now.

My sentiments echo everyone elses, Diesel is dangerous, diesel does not accurately reflect the condition you will find in a typical fire. Do not use diesel. Too many firefighters have been killed trying to make the fire bigger.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by opiegvfd View Post
    I know that 1403 say you can not use it, but in North Carolina they have an amendment to 1403. An instructor can use diesel fuel for pre-application and only pre-application.
    But none of us use it.

MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

The only place where a liquid fuel source MIGHT be used is in the demonstration of how a liquid fuel fire will react when using verious extinguishers, ie CO2, water can, Purple K etc. And only if it is contained in a burn pan. Otherwise.....

This is one of those Thall shalt NOT USE liquid fuel accelorants rules. EVER.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MalahatTwo7 View Post
    The only place where a liquid fuel source MIGHT be used is in the demonstration of how a liquid fuel fire will react when using verious extinguishers, ie CO2, water can, Purple K etc. And only if it is contained in a burn pan. Otherwise.....
    And such is not precluded by 1403. Got to do diesel (well actually contaminated Jet-A) working with the Army.

Thread Information