Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Cairns Reaxtion vs. Morning Pride

We are currently in the process of specing out new turnout gear from an AFG. One of my guys swears by Cairns Reaxtion, however I have worn Morning Pride gear for 13 years (change?) I have the specs for the Morning Pride Gear written and am satisfied. However, I am willing to switch to Cairns. I have worn his turnout gear to test the comfort and duribility and have not been disappointed. Out local dealer has suggested the "FIREFLITE III" liner on an Advanced Shell with a crosstech Moisture Barrier. I personnaly have not seen this liner or talked to any one that has had this liner with this shell. Other forums have not had any negative comments, but I would like to know if anyone on here has had any personal experience with this liner, moisture barrier, and shell combination. We also are considering switching to a black outer shell from a golden brown outer shell. Has anyone noticed a temperature change with black vs. brown turnout gear. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

It looks hot in there PureAdrenalin's Avatar

Stay with Morning Pride, it's still the only stuff I wear, and will ever wear.

Black vs. Brown...it's all hot in the summer regardless of shell color, go with black. It's looks more professional IMO.
    'Adversus incendia excubias nocturnas vigilesque commentus est"

www.vententersearch.com

Go with the Cairns. I am a BIG fan of Globe/Cairns.
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

MembersZone Subscriber

We just made the change last year from MP to the Cairns. I'd recommend getting a set of both (new sets in case there's any changes in the MP) and have a good look at both.

When we bid our gear last year we had been in the MP gear for several years and loved it. Some of the guys on our committee wanted to at least look at other makes, so we invited anyone that wanted to show of gear to come by. Instantly we liked the Cairns and the MP, and narrowed it down to those two.

Both are well-built sets of gear. The biggest reason we went with the Cairns is because of the fit. The MP gear seems to be aweful tight in the legs, making it a pain to step up into the trucks. The Cairns didn't have this trait. Both were really close in price, and to be honest I can't remember which was higher priced, it was that close.

Get a set of both and compare them side by side.

Before I forget, I did notice you asked about the material. I will note that we've only been in this gear for about a year now, so we haven't put it through a lot (we're a small vollie department). Our specs have the Advance outter shell (which we had on our MP) which I'm a big fan of. Our MP gear with the Advance has held up EXTREMELY well. Our moisture barrier is the Crosstech type 2c, which is performing well so far. The thermal barrier is the Caldura SL2, which is performing well, but it's not the "Firelite III" you asked about.

Your salesman should be able to get you samples of the various materials. We got a tri-fold display with swatches of all the materials; outer shells, moisture barriers, thermal barriers, knee/cuff materials, etc.

Waynesboro, VA, possibly relocating to Virginia Beach in the near future!

I can't choose between Globe GXtreme and the Morning Pride, have worn both and love them. Cairns and GX are practically the same, correct?
    These are my opinions, not those of my career department, my volunteer company, or my affiliates. And by the way, I'm not a Junior.

Buy me a drink, sing me a song, take me as I come 'cause I can't stay long.

Johnny Greene: 2/3/45-5/2/04
    Forever in our hearts

Quote Originally Posted by WFDjr1 View Post
    I can't choose between Globe GXtreme and the Morning Pride, have worn both and love them. Cairns and GX are practically the same, correct?
    Just the label, and the full belt on the Cairns (and the price, IIRC) are the difference.
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

MembersZone Subscriber RoughRider's Avatar

From what I understand their are 10 + companies who make the material for the outer shell and only 5 who make the material for the inner vapor barrier.

All of the turnout gear manufacturers buy from the same companies for material. The difference is how itís constructed and what options are available. Otherwise itís all pretty much the same.

Any turnout salesman lurking around here to comfirm this?
    Fortune does not change men; it unmasks them.

The grass ain't greener, the wine ain't sweeter!! Either side of the hill.

IACOJ PROUD

Forum Member

Default Cairns vs MP

Southern Mills is one supplier of the liners. I agree that with most of the fabric coming from the same couple sources, it really comes down to a "cut and stitch" comparison.

We also just received an AFG grant for gear, and evaluated MP and Globe (same as Cairns except for belt and collar break). I polled all of my crews, and almost every one of them said the liked MP best.

Our demo was PBI Matrix shell with Aralite lining.

C6

MembersZone Subscriber

What did they like better about the morning pride vs. the globe gear. just curious as to what they liked better. Knee pads, tails, collar, suspenders, fit, wristlets? what made it the preferred choice.

Forum Member

It really seemed to be the fit. Their comments was the Globe gear felt "bulky".

As far as options, the two were pretty much the same.

I suspect there may have been a little brand loyalty too. From the mid 90's until around 2004, we used MP. Then we switched to Globe really because at the time we could tag on to a large contract and get better materials (PBI) for the same price as Nomex.

With the grant though, everything is pretty even on pricing.

C6

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Command6 View Post
    It really seemed to be the fit. Their comments was the Globe gear felt "bulky".
    I had to smile when I read that. That's the exact same term some of my guys used. The other term was "looser." I can say that they (Cairns/Globe and MP) do not have the same style of fit.

I think it's one of those personal preference things, as both sets are top of the line.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by BLSboy View Post
    Just the label, and the full belt on the Cairns (and the price, IIRC) are the difference.
    Also the way the pockets are cut/attached and the tails on the Cairns. The tails were the biggest reason we looked at Cairns instead of Globe. We grew pretty fond of them on our MP gear, and we're the only department in our area with tails (which makes us stick out).

Quote Originally Posted by Catch22 View Post
    Also the way the pockets are cut/attached and the tails on the Cairns. The tails were the biggest reason we looked at Cairns instead of Globe. We grew pretty fond of them on our MP gear, and we're the only department in our area with tails (which makes us stick out).
    Tails, like where you put your name? I got that on my Globe G-Xtreme.
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by BLSboy View Post
    Tails, like where you put your name? I got that on my Globe G-Xtreme.
    Yeah, below the level of the coat on the back. We actually put our department name. Globe has them as an option, they're standard on Cairns.

I have my last name on it. And it damn near takes up all the space!
    lol
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Total Fire Group vs. Others

I wear MPs at one job, and another type for the full time one. I have to say that I like the fit of the MPs better, but they do not stand up to a beating.
    The FDNY over specs their stuff as they want to buy it one time and not have to replace them, (Imagine 13000 sets?!).

First off ....do not take any word from any salesman. I agree with the Brother who said get a couple and beat the you know what out of them. Then choose!
    As far as color, it is all hot! One thing about black gear, as a supervisor, it is easier for me to know when one of my guys has been exposed to high heat, as the gear reds out. The gear should now be replaced. It is not a badge of honor. Just a thought.

Also the last bottom line is you need to taylor your bids to what you want, as if you don't it will go to the lowest bidder!

Be safe

Thread Information