MembersZone Subscriber

Default Londons Camden Market on fire

Always remember the CHARLESTON 9

Captain Grant Mishoe, Curator of History
    North Charleston and American LaFrance Fire Museum
    "You'll never know where you're going until you remember where you came from"
    www.legacyofheroes.org
    www.firehistory.org
    www.sconfire.com

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Yikes! Hope all responding STAY SAFE!

Thanks, Grant.
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Forum Member

Stay safe brothers.

Sucks to loss such a famous place.
    Hello. Fire dept.. You light'em, We fight'em!

"hard working, gear jamming, nail driving, "jake". "

IACOJ
    4-16-2010 "On the approach"

Forum Member

Damn, Stay safe over there.
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

MembersZone Subscriber

Sky News

It was quite a spectacular looking job, but only made the news because Camden Market is a real trendy area and one of the pubs joining the market that ws involved is used by groups of young Brit film and Pop stars such as Jude Law, Amy Winhouse, Ozzy Osourne...etc...

It was a 20 Pump Fire, not a small job by anyone's standard but we have a few of these, but when there was a 20 Pump Fire on the Park Royal Industrial estate the other week, it barely got coverage on London News let alone International News!!!

I'm not complaining though, with this and the 25 Pump Fire at the Royal Marsden Hospital in January I'm pleased that LFB is getting International exposure because we seem to be getting more and more bigger jobs in the middle of London as well as out in the Industrial and Ghetto areas that no one cares about.

BTW, I was on my 24's on Thursday/Friday... all I got was a bus alight in a bus garage at 4am yesterday morning. This job was on the Eastern/Western Command Borders... I am right out on the edge of the East nowadays, so I woul only have got this as a relief ordering at about 2am...
    Last edited by SteveDude; 02-10-2008 at 04:25 AM.
    Steve Dude
    IACOJ member
    www.fireservice.co.uk

London Fire Brigade...."Can Do"

'Irony'... It's a British thing.

MembersZone Subscriber

LFB News Bulletin

SECTION ONE:
    CALLS FOR THE 24 HOURS (MID-NIGHT TO MID-NIGHT): 867

OPERATIONAL INCIDENTS UP TO 07:00 HOURS

07:59 F28 HOMERTON 4 PUMP FIRE PERSONS REPORTED 23275081
    BRETT ROAD E8
    House of 2 floors, 6 metres by 10 metres. 60 % of ground floor damaged by fire. Hose reel, breathing apparatus. 9 metre ladder, thermal image camera, holmatro.All persons accounted.

16:57 F42 ILFORD FIRE PERSONS REPORTED 23587081
    GREEN LANE ILFORD
    Shop and dwellings of 3 floors, 8 metres by 10 metres. 25% of 1st floor damaged by fire. 2 hose reels, breathing apparatus, thermal image camera .1 adult male suffering from smoke inhalation and shock and 1 adult pregnant female suffering from shock, escaped before arrival of brigade, both removed.

19:10 A43 KENTISH TOWN 20 PUMP FIRE PERSONS REPORTED 23691081
    CHALK FARM ROAD NW3
    A range of shops, dwelling, 2 public houses and market storage area of 1,2 and 3 floors. 100 metres by 100 metres, 80% damaged by fire. 10% of adjoining railway arches and bridge damaged by fire. 1 hydraulic platform monitor, 15 jets, 135 and 9 metre ladders, breathing apparatus. All persons accounted for .Approximately 450 persons evacuated from immediate area. Approximately 100 residents displaced by effect of fire. Temporary accommodation arrangements made by local authority. Effect on railway services being assessed by railway authority. Same as all calls. Tactical mode delta

21:43 G31 NORTHOLT PERSONS REPORTED FIRE 23879081
    STIVEN CRESCENT, SOUTH HARROW
    House of 2 floors, 5 metres by 8 metres. 20% of bathroom on ground floor damaged by fire.2 hose reels, breathing apparatus. All persons accounted for. 1X 2 year old female suffering from smoke inhalation rescued by breathing apparatus crews. 2 further children rescued by member of the public before arrival of brigade.

22:39 A40 HENDON INCIDENT OF NOTE 23912081
    13 FABER GARDENS, HENDON, NW4
    Detached house of 2 floors, 10 metres by 10 metres, 10% of 1st floor damaged by fire. Hose reel, thermal image camera, breathing apparatus. 15 persons left premises before arrival of brigade. 1 adult male suffering effects of smoke inhalation treated on scene by LAS.

01:44 E39 BROMLEY FATAL SPECIAL SERVICE 24026081
    SOUTHBOROUGH LANE, BROMLEY
    1 motor car in collision with parked car in front garden, 4 persons trapped, injured released removed by LAS. 1 person confirmed dead at scene by HEMS doctor.

04:54 F43 BARKING 4 PUMP FIRE 24069081
    PERRYMAN HOUSE, THE SHAFTESBURYS, BARKING
    25% of 5 roomed flat on 8th floor damaged by fire. 1 jet, breathing apparatus, dry riser.2 adults and 2 children escaped before arrival of brigade uninjured.
    Steve Dude
    IACOJ member
    www.fireservice.co.uk

Forum Member

Damn! LFB has jets?

Im impressed...All we can manage over here is helicopters and old prop tankers.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Forum Member

20 pumps, huh? Nice stop....
    I am a complacent liability to the fire service

MembersZone Subscriber

Some good photos

Here
    and here
    Steve Dude
    IACOJ member
    www.fireservice.co.uk

EuroFirefighter

I know the areas pretty congested and access is difficult Steve but the first thing I thought of when seeing this fire was 'where are the aerial towers'? I see just one platform mentioned on the 'stop' but in pictures there is at least one ladder tower working as well so were there any more? If they are in use they need to be on the stop!

MembersZone Subscriber

You are not the only one who has noticed the lack of Aerials on the Stop. I have no idea how or why they got left off the stop because there were two Aerial Ladder Platforms and one Turntable Ladder Monitor used on the job... we didn't even have a Hydraulic Platform (old type snorkle) on the job so WTF?? A few people over here are asking this question too.... I think it was a mistake when the stop message was sorted out.

As it happens, we don't use aerials as much in the UK... In London we only have 11 compared to 170 Pumps... there used to be more, 18 when I joined and 35 in the mid 60's but still nothing like the 2:1 ratios used over by you.

On that job as you can see by the amount of water used we had a good supply, because of the canal behind the job. But usually, with London's victorian water mains we often don't have the benefit of masses of water like you Guys in the USA...therefore planning assumptions always have us thinking a lot more about water that just taking it for granted. Often it isn't possible to deliver the amount of water required to get lots of aerials working even if we had them.

There wasn't a lot of road frontage where the market was... the market was between the road, a canal and a raliway, so there were lots of handlines taken through builings over roof etc to get to the fire.

Photo shows the market. Red area of original fire, Yellow: Spread to shops at front of market and Hawley Arms Pub. Blue: Position of Aerials, Green: from what I have been told, the 15 handlines were taken offensively into burning properties, through railway arches to market, over roofs and along canal towpath. MTV Studio on right of photo across canal.

Steve Dude
    IACOJ member
    www.fireservice.co.uk

Forum Member

Is that a river in the picture? Does LFB have fire boats?
    I am a complacent liability to the fire service

EuroFirefighter

Chicago .... There is a fireboat capable of providing heavy stream capability but this 'river' is actually part of a major waterway network that runs throughout London. I am not sure of the access from the River Thames where the boat is stationed to this point but even if possible, it might take a long time to work through the waterways and lock gates. Steve will no doubt broaden on this answer.

Great graphic Steve.

MembersZone Subscriber

As Batt18 said, That's just part of the Grand Union Canal... you'd have to follow that for well over 10 miles back East through various locks before you got to the River Thames (The big River... have a look at a map of London Chic' ) and then about 8 miles downstream to the River Fire Station...although the job was only about 4 miles NW as the crow flies.
    Steve Dude
    IACOJ member
    www.fireservice.co.uk

Forum Member

Lots of good info Steve. Thanks for sharing. Looks like the Brothers definately had their hands full with that one.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Now who cares about this one....

Funny,
    Another nice big blaze in London today...in Penge... just a regualr south London neighbourhood...no Tourists, no Grammy winning Rock stars, No Film starts or celebrities. Didn't even make the London News!!!!

13.44 10 Pump Fire–
    From DAC Bryant, STOP – Shed and timber yard, 30m x 50m, (100 x 150) 100% DxF, A range of adjoining Shops and dwellings of 1, 2 And 4 floors, 12m x 25m, 60% of Ground floor, 40% of 1st floor, 30% of 2nd floor, DxF, 7
    x LPG cylinders involved, cooled and removed to safe area, 1 x 25kg LPG
    cylinder Exploded, 8 Jets, 4 Hose reels, Aerial monitor, TIC, BA, S.A.A.C, 16 Persons
    Evacuated from surrounding premises by Brigade and Police, Duty of care
    of re Housing evacuated persons left with local authorities. Tactical Mode Oscar.
    Steve Dude
    IACOJ member
    www.fireservice.co.uk

Forum Member

I think I've been to that market and remember seeing the canal. Camden Town, right? If so, it's definitely a tight area to have a large number of units in and full of exposures. Good work, fellas.
    Just a peon proby in the greatest job in the world; grinning ear to ear.

Thread Information