Default Can I use these Boots?

This is the first forum I am asking on, if anyone has any info that would be great. I think if the La Sportiva boots are approved these should be good to go as well.

http://lathropandsons.com/catalog/pr...products_id/36

Also, I assume I would need to replace the laces to all leather ones? Is that what people are doing with the La Sportivas?

Forum Member

Default maybe?

I would say maybe. You'd be better off spending the $382.00 on a pair of drew's boots or pitching in another hundo and going for some Nicks or Whites.

Forum Member

NWCG requires boots that have all-leather outers. The La-Sportivas don't meet this requirement and technically are not allowed either but you see lots of people wearing them. I personally do not like them and prefer my Wescos.

The NWCG requirements are under review but it may take a while for any changes to be made (this is the government afterall).

If you are going after boots for wildland firefighting I suggest you look for boots that are certified to NFPA 1977, you will spend about the same and get a boot that has less chance of falling apart the first burning stump hole you step into.

Back In Black

Quote Originally Posted by MrW1z4rd View Post
    This is the first forum I am asking on, if anyone has any info that would be great. I think if the La Sportiva boots are approved these should be good to go as well.

http://lathropandsons.com/catalog/pr...products_id/36

Also, I assume I would need to replace the laces to all leather ones? Is that what people are doing with the La Sportivas?
    I take my boots very seriously... and so should you!

You want all leather logger-type boots with the leather stitched together, not glued!

Look at whites, nicks, even some red-wings.

There are others, but don't buy something cheap, you'll be sorry.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

WARNING: The following message is satire only.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Forum Member

Many FF's use them, but as it has been pointed out, they don't last under heat. There are I believe only 2 models of the La Sportiva's that meet the Red Book rules for PPE. And at that, under a certain size (mostly a problem for women's boots) they don't meet the 8" height requirement. The problem isn't the laces, as most boot laces that aren't leather are nylon sheathed in cotton I think.
    Last edited by RxFire; 02-24-2008 at 12:55 AM.
    IACOJ
    Stopping controlled burning DOES NOT stop the burning, only the control!
    http://www.wy.blm.gov/fireuse/fums.htm

I have been looking around at some of the recommended boots. I too, take my boots VERY, VERY seriously.

I am not going to get anything with highly pointed toes or with those ridiculous high heels.

These boots are all leather with 10" height. Besides the fact that they are not stitched is the any other reason these would not be approved?

My Firefighting instructor has looked at them and said they would be good to go.

Also just a bit of back history on me... I am 21, in my first year of school getting a 1 year diploma/cert in Wildland Firefighting/Forestry and also getting my EMT-B cert.

I may be young and have little schooling, but I have 4 years time in service with damn near 2 years (21 months to be exact) spent on deployment in Iraq (6 months training, 15 months in country) so I hope that because I have a low post count, or asking a question that has probably been asked thousands of times doesn't reflect negatively upon me.

I am going to get these boots because they look like they would be good for hiking in the mountains and rough terrain. If whatever agency I get a job with doesn't approve of them, I will just get what they want me to wear.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Dont do It

dude, you had prolly listen to the folks trying to help you. They aren't tryin to talk down on you, just trying to help you make a purchase thats gonna pay off in the end. I too am military and have been in Afghanistan where hiking is BIIIIG trust me, also I work as a wildland firefighter in probably the busiest wildland/urban interface environment around, Southern California. Everybody here where Nicks or Whites, and for a good reason. They last for years, they have SUPREME arch and heel support(hense the high heel) They dont have a pointed toe, I dont know whee you got that, mine are like a flat toe but I have whites rough outs. You may spend 380 bucks but I know people who took the cheap way out and ended up buying new boots every season, why not spend the money now on a pair that will last you for years, and at that when the yfinally do goto **** you can get them rebuilt for like 40 bucks. Nobody is talking down to you because you have low posts, I do too, Im saying take it from people who know what they're talking about, I learned from when I originally bought thourogoods, and from my supervisors who have all been in for 10 years plus. Whites,Drews, Nicks, Red wings, maybe Danners if you find a good solid pair

Back In Black

Look friend, I don't know where anyone talked down to you.

I only have 21 years in structural and 21 years in wildland fire. Been deployed to forest fires in most of the western states numerous times... fires as big as the county you live in probably bigger....

You want those boots, fine. You'll be one of the guys i've seen in fire camp buying whites/nicks from the boot vendor because your boots fell apart when you stepped in a hot stump hole.

The bad part will be when you are in medical tent when you try to break in those wildland boots (whites, nicks..etc) on the fireline, because your feet are covered in blisters. They take time to break in.

To directly answer your question, those boots would not be approved. The sole is not stiched and or screwed into the bottom of the boot. They are glued, and the glue will come apart working on a hot ground fire.

Ignore the advice of the veterans at your own peril.
    Last edited by ChiefKN; 03-05-2008 at 12:43 PM.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefKN View Post
    I only have 21 years in structural and 21 years in wildland fire. Been deployed to forest fires in most of the western states numerous times... fires as big as the county you live in probably bigger....
    You've got 42 years on, Chief?!

We knew you were old, but..... j/k
    My opinions might coincide with someone of importance's POV... I wouldn't know, since I never bothered to ask. My policy is: "Don't ask, don't care."

IACOJ--West Coast PITA

Back In Black

Quote Originally Posted by the1141man View Post
    You've got 42 years on, Chief?!

We knew you were old, but..... j/k
    LOL, don't make me hit you with my walker!

Forum Member

LOL, don't make me hit you with my walker!
    Hehehe, another riddle:
    What do grandpas and zombies have in common?
    Besides moaning a lot, you can outrun both at a brisk walk.
    My opinions might coincide with someone of importance's POV... I wouldn't know, since I never bothered to ask. My policy is: "Don't ask, don't care."

IACOJ--West Coast PITA

so would these be a good boot to get? there only 199..which is better the lace to toe? or without it going to the toe?http://drewsboots.com/firelogg.htm#E910V

Forum Member

I'm intrigued. Do all firefighters in the US have to buy their own boots? What about the rest of the PPE? I see so many threads where people talk about buying gear - that I'm just interested.
    "Professional" means your attitude to the job...

Nullus Anxietas ..... (T Pratchett)

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by volfirie View Post
    I'm intrigued. Do all firefighters in the US have to buy their own boots? What about the rest of the PPE? I see so many threads where people talk about buying gear - that I'm just interested.
    Nope. But wildland types have to buy their own boots, that's the only thing not provided.

As for the threads about buying their own gear......
    Well, let's just say, at least in the US, that your department has a legal obligation to provide you PPE appropriate to the hazards you'll face. Now, if you happen to be a "cold zoner" who doesn't require PPE but wants it anyways...... or perhaps someone who wants a spare set to keep in their trunk "just in case", well, I suppose you'd be asking about buying gear.

IACOJ--West Coast PITA

Back In Black

I think the rationale for boots is that it's such an individual preference, and the fit has to be just right...

I am 100% fine with buying my own boots. I get paid when I fight wildland fire here in New Jersey (or get sent out of state) and my money goes back into this. That said, I have a pair of redwings and a pair of white's. I love both and have had both repaired and would be ticked off if I were issued boots. They are broken in and match my foot perfectly.

Also, a good percentage of the wildland firefighters are seasonal, contracted, or part time. So, to issue boots and take them back... kind of gross.

Forum Member

I think the rationale for boots is that it's such an individual preference, and the fit has to be just right...

Also, a good percentage of the wildland firefighters are seasonal, contracted, or part time. So, to issue boots and take them back... kind of gross.
    Thanks for that Chief - I asked the question then lost the thread! But as I said, I was just interested. Vol and career here are all issued boots, whether structural or wildfire - and yes, the idea of taking the boots back and re-issuing them? Gross. Thankfully that's against our OH&S rules. Our 'forest service' only do wildfire work, and they use a lot of seasonal FF's. Some go back year after year, some don't.

Wearing boots in? Our issue boots tend to take a whole day to wear in - they're great. Come complete with a red stripe down the back to try and discourage people from wearing them all day every day... But I've said that before somewhere, I wonder where?
    "Professional" means your attitude to the job...

Nullus Anxietas ..... (T Pratchett)

Back In Black

Wearing boots in? Our issue boots tend to take a whole day to wear in - they're great. Come complete with a red stripe down the back to try and discourage people from wearing them all day every day... But I've said that before somewhere, I wonder where?
    If you are not familiar with the "logger" type boots that we use in the US to fight wildland fires, they are heavy leather construction with a thick hard rubber sole. The leather pieces are stitched together with double and triple stitching, the sole is also stitched into the leather uppers and the sole is multiple layers of materials (rubber, wood?, etc) that is also all screwed together.

They are heavy duty. I've found it may take a few weeks of wearing them to really break them in. The upside is that they then fit well and offer great protection.

I encourage our guys with new boots to wear them around the house while doing yard work or better yet use them to hike and climb terrain that is as close to the terrain they might see out there in the field.

Those that haven't broken in their boots correctly have almost been incapacitated on the large fires by the blisters.

When i'm on a handcrew i'm often the guy that will apply moleskin or give advice on applying moleskin. I advise them to take off their boots when it's safe and you have a minute around mid-day to check on your feet, look for hot spots, etc.

I'm not advertising, but here is the boot I have and is pretty popular.
    http://www.whitesoutdoor.com/store/p...y=Boots&id=701

Great picture of the construction of the boot:

http://www.whitesoutdoor.com/anatomy-of-a-legend.php

I also have a pair of redwings. Not as heavy duty, but they're pretty decent boots too.

MembersZone Subscriber

White's take quite a while to break in, far more than a day. It's more like a month or so, but after the break in period they are very, very comfortable.

Forum Member

Exclamation La Sportiva Boots are approved!

I realize this is a little close to fire season, but important to hear if you have not purchased boots. La Sportiva boots are an acceptable choice for fire season, and are safe and "approved" (for lack of a better word). I purchased a pair last season and couldn't be happier. I fight wildfire for a state forestry agency and it was recently approved by our organization after a report was issued by the Forest Service. It stated (I wont quote the whole thing so I'll summarize) that it would be unjust to only allow one specific type of boot - i.e. Nick's, White's, Drew's, etc. Instead, we, as fire professionals, should adhear to the regulations already outlined. Those guidelines are that the boots must be all leather construction, have a Vibram OR lug sole, and be a minimum of 8 inches high. First, as stated earlier Sportiva's are usually 8 inches high (some of the smaller sizes don't measure up), next they do have a vibram sole. NOTE that nowhere does it say that they MUST be stitched or screwed. As for the all leather part, they are all leather. They simply just don't look like the usual style boots, but are all leather.

One reply stated that you should purchase that $400 dollar pair of Nick's, White's, Drew's, etc.... as opposed to LaSportiva's because they will last longer. I run a handcrew and hike ALL season long. My sportiva's have lasted just as long as my previous pair of Nick's, for around half the cost. I have seen Forest Service Hotshot crews with them, BLM Hotshot crews wearing them, and just as many folks on engines wear them. Everyone I talk to about them, can't say enough positive things about them.

I realized this post is a sounding a bit like a LaSportiva ad, but I just wanted to give you the other side of the story and defunk some of the mis-information that was posted earlier.

Thread Information