MembersZone Subscriber

Default Overweight apparatus

My supervisor just found out are Quint is overwight by 3,000lbs. When he advised the Chief of the department he stated "just be cautious". I believe there is something by the US Transportation Authority but cant't find it. If anyone has anything they could help out please shoot me back something. We plan on bring this up at the next board meeting.

Forum Member

I don't have anything formal, but a little real life experience.

I know a guy that delivers fire apparatus. Most apparatus, particularly quint type stuff is overweight. I've seen a 100 ft aerial on three axles that weighs 76,000 lbs.

Anyway he gets stopped by a DOT guy in the midwest. The DOT guy puts the scales on the truck, and says you can't go anywhere. The thing is way overweight. The guys says, its a fire truck. The DOT guy asks him where he is taking it. He says that he is taking it to departments in the area as a "show model". The DOT guy says it is not fire truck because it is a demo and writes him tickets for 750+ dollars. The DOT guy said that if he were delivering to a department it was classified as a fire truck, and exempt from weight limits / requirements.

The manufacturer picked up the fine. I saw the ticket, I know its legit. However, I don't know if it was an overzealous DOT guy or the rest of the story. If this were regularly enforced there wouldn't be tradeshows with apparatus exhibits?

MembersZone Subscriber

Your state may have exemptions for fire apparatus. I know Missouri allows fire apparatus to be overweight and/or overlength.

I won't say it's smart, but it's on the books.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Geinandputitout View Post
    Anyway he gets stopped by a DOT guy in the midwest. The DOT guy puts the scales on the truck, and says you can't go anywhere. The thing is way overweight. The guys says, its a fire truck. The DOT guy asks him where he is taking it. He says that he is taking it to departments in the area as a "show model". The DOT guy says it is not fire truck because it is a demo and writes him tickets for 750+ dollars. The DOT guy said that if he were delivering to a department it was classified as a fire truck, and exempt from weight limits / requirements.

WOW that is ridiculous.

MembersZone Subscriber

should have done some better research or the company screwed you...

easy way to reduce the 3000lbs....

quints, which are worthless anyway , typically have 350 gallon tanks...

just drive around with it empty...

350*8.2=2870. Most of your problem solved...

research what you bought and what you got. If you spec'ed out a certain truck with a certain weight and it doesnt match, the manufacturer owes you
    The Box. You opened it. We Came...

"You'll take my life but I'll take your's too. You'll fire musket but I'll run you through. So when your waiting for the next attack, you'll better understand there's no turn back."

Forum Member

oh, it's just retaining water.

drain the tank, problem solved
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Early Adopter

Exclamation I've been where you are

Our brush truck has always been overweight and I've been in a few hairy situations trying to stop it on short notice. One shift, we had it weighed and brought a copy of the print out from the scales to the chief. We were told that DOT rules didn't apply to fire apparatus. I've wondered aloud if a judge or jury would think the same thing if we're involved in an accident with that rig.

MembersZone Subscriber

You have to check your state regs, as there can be a myriad of exemptions for fire apparatus.

Up here, we can apply for a term overweight permit for fire apparatus up to 10% in excess of tire capacity, and they are usually approved without an issue.

I suspect there could always be a liability issue if your state had a similar process in place, but it was not utilized by the dept.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

Forum Member

Default Axles or regs

Is the truck overweight for the stated GVWR or just the local weight regs? I have driven, delivered and demo'ed many aerials that were overweight for the state regs but were well within the GVWR as designed by the builder.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ha11igan View Post
    WOW that is ridiculous.
    Actually it's not rediculous. If it is not official property of a FD or an AHJ, it is a commercial vehicle, within commerce. Check out this same thread down in the engineering forums.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ha11igan View Post
    WOW that is ridiculous.
    Actually, it's not.

The Massachusetts Fire Academy has 5 pumpers, two aerials and a tanker.

In the drill yard, we call them "fire apparatus".

The minute they go off the property, they become "training vehicles", subject to DOT rules and regs and require a CDL to operate.
    Last edited by CaptainGonzo; 02-11-2008 at 07:13 PM.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

Gonz.....So you're saying that your dept requires a CDL of all of its drivers?

Under a lot of rules or whatever, you guys seem to think that fire apparatus change type during certain circumstances??? This is rediculous.....So, is it a parade truck in a parade? What happens when they have to go to a dealer for repair? And what did it take for someone to get puleed over? Who pulss over fire rigs? Come on.......

Forum Member

My FD doesn't.

The Academy does, and only for Academy apparatus if the truck is going to be driven off of the property.

Our rigs are registered as emergency vehicles.

A dealer driving from point A to point B and beyond to show a truck isn't an emergency vehicle... he's a salesman going out for a test drive with prospective clients.
    Last edited by CaptainGonzo; 02-11-2008 at 07:12 PM.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo View Post
    Actually, it's not.

The Massachusetts Fire Academy has 5 pumpers, two aerials and a tanker.

In the drill yerd, we call them "fire apparatus".

The minute they go off the property, they become "training vehicles", subject to DOT rules and regs and require a CDL to operate.

Which is ridiculous.

Forum Member

Over which weight? The states weight of the trucks GVW? I don't think exceeding the truck's GVW is a good idea whether it is allowed or not.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Thread Information