Forum Member

Question Entry level red card cert.

I am a volunteer firefighter from CT and I am looking to get certified in FFT2. I have gone online and found some places that offer this course with and without sponsership. The one I am looking at is called Colorodo Firecamp, Does anyone have any information on this facility. Or has anyone been there, or know anyone who has, who can give me some feedback on it. If you know of any other places that are good please let me know. Thanks for the help and stay safe.

MembersZone Subscriber

I know here in minnesota our dnr provides the training for free if your already apart of a fire dept/ems dept. Not sure if that helps but i figure it might help save money.

Back In Black

Quote Originally Posted by AXE471WFD View Post
    I am a volunteer firefighter from CT and I am looking to get certified in FFT2. I have gone online and found some places that offer this course with and without sponsership. The one I am looking at is called Colorodo Firecamp, Does anyone have any information on this facility. Or has anyone been there, or know anyone who has, who can give me some feedback on it. If you know of any other places that are good please let me know. Thanks for the help and stay safe.
    I think there is a wildland academy in New York on Long Island every fall.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/education/73.html
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

Axe, if you could swing it, get a job with the feds for the summer here out west. They will pay you for the training as part of the job. You won't pay anything towards a retirement, and your health bene's are entirely out of pocket unless it's a LODI, or you got some insurance from somewhere else.
    IACOJ
    Stopping controlled burning DOES NOT stop the burning, only the control!
    http://www.wy.blm.gov/fireuse/fums.htm

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by RxFire View Post
    Axe, if you could swing it, get a job with the feds for the summer here out west. They will pay you for the training as part of the job. You won't pay anything towards a retirement, and your health bene's are entirely out of pocket unless it's a LODI, or you got some insurance from somewhere else.
    Wouldn't happen to have a web site would you?

Forum Member

Just good old USAJOBS.gov ... however this link is set up to take you straight to the series search, where you will look for 0462 and 0455 series - Forestry Technician and Range Technician respectively. I would do multiple searches, searching small geographic areas instead of just the whole state. It's getting a bit late, but once you apply, also call where you apply to make your name stick out better among the masses. Some places may have special hiring authority (like prefered hiring of students) in place you can take advantage of, so definately do some calling and make use of all those minutes the cell phone companies rob you of.

For more info, search this forum... this is a commmon question and has been answered multiple times.
    IACOJ

Forum Member

Last edited by kuntrykid; 09-12-2008 at 03:35 PM. Reason: Don't want to be a member of these forums, so I deleted my posts.
    My comments do NOT necessarily reflect the opinions of my department, my fellow volunteers, or anyone else with whom I am associated.

Forum Member

If you aren't driving, just being a body to dig and squirt, I don't know if there is a problem with your vision. If you are licensed to drive regular cars and trucks, you probably will be allowed to as well on the job. Ideally that's a question to pose to whoever is offering you the job. I don't know what the medical standards are that seasonals are held to... and if you get signed off by the doc, you should be good to go, once CHS (contracted medical quacks ) reviews you.
    IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by RxFire View Post
    If you aren't driving, just being a body to dig and squirt, I don't know if there is a problem with your vision. If you are licensed to drive regular cars and trucks, you probably will be allowed to as well on the job. Ideally that's a question to pose to whoever is offering you the job. I don't know what the medical standards are that seasonals are held to... and if you get signed off by the doc, you should be good to go, once CHS (contracted medical quacks ) reviews you.
    RxFire,

If he is legally blind in one eye and has to go through the new medicals that are being required, he will probably unfortunately not pass and get hired. I work with a guy that is blind in one eye and has been doing wildland firefighting for several years until this new medical. He was denied clearance and also lost his appeal.

Ropeguru

Thread Information