Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Angry Memphis High School Shooting

I hope no one from the Boards is involved directly with this incident.

Student Shot At Memphis High School
    Suspect In Custody; Student In Critical Condition

POSTED: 11:36 am EST February 11, 2008
    UPDATED: 11:55 am EST February 11, 2008

MEMPHIS, Tenn. -- Police said a student has been shot in a cafeteria at a Memphis high school, and a suspect is in custody.

Police spokeswoman Monique Martin said the student was shot Monday morning at Mitchell High School and was believed to be in critical condition.

Martin told CNN that the injured student has at least two gunshot wounds and is a male in the senior class.

It is the second shooting reported in a Memphis high school this month. On Feb. 4, a 16-year-old student was shot in the leg inside a classroom during an argument with another student over music. The student suffered non-critical injuries and the suspected shooter was charged.

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

MembersZone Subscriber

Prayers to those involved.

I do find this rather disturbing...

It is the second shooting reported in a Memphis high school this month.

Forum Member

Just watching it on TV is as close as my involvement is.I've forgotten most of my Memphis geography after living in Kentucky for 10 years but I doubt Memphis E34A,Lt Kramer's station is in that area either.
    The worst part about this is the worry that the parents who are raising their kids right couldn't get to them to physically touch them and see for sure that their child was all right.You could see it in their faces,how they'd gotten a text from their kid or school notification and all the could do was be herded into the auditorium until further notice.
    The people that will use this to speak for their dislike of firearms and those that own them don't even rate mention as "the worst part".This was not done by someone who went through the hoops required of a legal gun purcahse.It was done by someone who had a beef with another student and shot him for it.
    I had plenty of grudges with other students when in school.I never thought to go home and get Daddy's gun and settle it.
    If I have a problem at work,the thought of gunfire doesn't enter my mind today either.
    I guess maturity has its benefits.

It looks hot in there PureAdrenalin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by doughesson View Post
    Just watching it on TV is as close as my involvement is.I've forgotten most of my Memphis geography after living in Kentucky for 10 years but I doubt Memphis E34A,Lt Kramer's station is in that area either.
    The worst part about this is the worry that the parents who are raising their kids right couldn't get to them to physically touch them and see for sure that their child was all right.You could see it in their faces,how they'd gotten a text from their kid or school notification and all the could do was be herded into the auditorium until further notice.
    The people that will use this to speak for their dislike of firearms and those that own them don't even rate mention as "the worst part".This was not done by someone who went through the hoops required of a legal gun purcahse.It was done by someone who had a beef with another student and shot him for it.
    I had plenty of grudges with other students when in school.I never thought to go home and get Daddy's gun and settle it.
    If I have a problem at work,the thought of gunfire doesn't enter my mind today either.
    I guess proper parenting has its benefits.
    Fixed it, that reads better.
    'Adversus incendia excubias nocturnas vigilesque commentus est"

www.vententersearch.com

Forum Member

What does this have to do with firefighting? I mean guys ripped the other guy a new one for posting a code to save us money, this is not related one bit.

I didn't make it, but just about every school in Memphis allows for the same opportunity. It is sadly, just the state of the city. I have made people murdered over a sack of pork rinds!

Watch the First 48 on A & E sometime. Many of the episodes follow a case in Memphis.

Oh and by the way, it is the second school shooting this WEEK!!
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Forum Member

Sounds like natural selection to me!

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyirons2 View Post
    Sounds like natural selection to me!
    And in many attributes, you are dead on!! It does kind of suck for the decent folks that are just trying to make a living or a few of the decent kids that for the most part, don't stand a chance.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

What does this have to do with firefighting? I mean guys ripped the other guy a new one for posting a code to save us money, this is not related one bit.

We do have a few brothers on the Memphis FD who post here. Rick 's post is more of concern for those Brothers who may have had to respond to this, nothing more, nothing less.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo View Post
    We do have a few brothers on the Memphis FD who post here. Rick 's post is more of concern for those Brothers who may have had to respond to this, nothing more, nothing less.

I agree. Not only for the safety of our brothers and sisters that may have responded but, maybe we can learn something from these incidents that can help us stay safe if this happens in our area. We're seeing this happen too much on the news lately, and it doesn't have to be a large city.

Forum Member

You guys didnt post to the discount thread, but you have guys that rip apart a poster for posting something to help us out, but then this thread comes up and its still like, what is the value to us? We are not cops, we dont run in to a scene we wait for PD to clear it, we dont have anything to shoot back with!

You guys didnt post to the discount thread, but you have guys that rip apart a poster for posting something to help us out, but then this thread comes up and its still like, what is the value to us? We are not cops, we dont run in to a scene we wait for PD to clear it, we dont have anything to shoot back with!
    Quite true, but in a lot of departments which do run fire based EMS, we deal with the situation after the PD clears.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber ullrichk's Avatar

And of course all medical calls are exactly as advertised by dispatch . . . not.

These incidents are worth discussing as emergency responders. PD and FD can and do work together before the scene is secure. Remember the engine used as cover during Columbine? Remember the FF who was targeted by a marksman becuase his long turnout coat looked like a trench coat at the same incident?

I don't suggest that the FD should be placed in the line of fire, but sometimes the risk vs. reward may call for just that.
    ullrichk
    a.k.a.
    perfesser

a ship in a harbor is safe. . . but that's not what ships are for

Exclamation

Let's discuss tactics ...

One of our local schools used to be affiliated with a nearby technical college. Someone called the police to say there was going to be a shooting on the technical college's main campus, so -- as you can imagine -- there was a general freak-out about the affiliated campuses, too.

I was told that, in the event of an incident at the school in our district, each member of the engine company was to drive a piece of apparatus by themselves so that we could have as many units on scene to block traffic with. That's quite a plan.

Thread Information