+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... Last
    Forum Member

Default Hoods over Masks???

iv seen this a couple of times, im confused why these goods seem to go over the eyes on the masks.

Photobucket

Photobucket
    Last edited by Ambrose; 03-27-2008 at 07:42 PM.

Forum Member

anyone? lol im really interested in whats going on here. can they see through these hoods or do they not even cover their eyes?

Gone.

Personal preference, and in the second pic, the hood isn't even covering his eyes.

Forum Member

the person doesn't know how to wear a hood

Forum Member

I was going to make a joke about doing that when I'm scared, but I thought it might encourage you in your error. I don't know how far back you think the hood should go, but it's clear to me that these guys haven't covered their entire field of vision. I don't get that impression even at first blush. If you tried on some gear and looked at yourself, you'd probably discover the source of your confusion. I bet your dad will bring his stuff home for you sometime.

Forum Member

they can see out below the hood. the hood only covers what would be there forehead.... think about it... you can see a winter hat thats pulled down to your eyebrows.... they cant see the hood. with the scott masks you have to have the hood down that far because u have to keep it over the lip of the mask in front. thats the only problem with the scotts is that u have to pull the hood down that far to cover all the skin because the rubber part on the mask wont hold the hood without exposing skin.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nameless View Post
    the person doesn't know how to wear a hood
    That top guy does have the strap hanging out on the bottom there. But that's the problem with the sock hood--easily dislodged. And thin.

MembersZone Subscriber

I like to have the hood trapped up behind the center screw on the Scott masks. I've seen many with strong elastics become diminishing vision socks with much movement.

Forum Member

i do mine as preference, i pull the hood to the top of the mask, then run my fingers all the way down to the chin. this ensures my face gets wrapped, to me at least.

makes good girls go bad

Who needs a hood?
    Or bunker pants?
    Save your air Nightengale!
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

Forum Member

Maybe they are wearing two hoods.......
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    Maybe they are wearing two hoods.......
    HAHA you beat ChiFF to the punch!
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

MembersZone Subscriber

Why are they not wearing two hoods???? What's the point anyway, it's too dangerous inside anyway!
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Forum Member

There are a few guys around here that wear their hoods like that, and it never fails that at some point through out the call they will go over to someone and need them to move it because it shifted and now they cant see. I don't like it i tried it a couple of times at training burns and couldn't stand not having my full feild of vision.

MembersZone Subscriber

Someone needs to go back to school and learn how to don a hood properly.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

WFDFire2156
    Firehouse.com Guest

Default hoods

If you take a look at the Denver Fire Dept website that these photos came from and look at the captions you will learn that the people in the two photos are not firefighters they are news reporters doing a story on the life of firefighters. In that case we should not expect them to no how to don a hood correctly should we......

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by WFDFire2156 View Post
    If you take a look at the Denver Fire Dept website that these photos came from and look at the captions you will learn that the people in the two photos are not firefighters they are news reporters doing a story on the life of firefighters. In that case we should not expect them to no how to don a hood correctly should we......
    Actually yes they should know how. They should know the purpose and how to properly wear every piece of equipment they are given to use, they should also know what to do and who to tell if they feel that somthingh is wrong with the equipment they are wearing. I'm all for these reporters training with a crew to see how strenuous and tough the job is. But if somthing were to happen to one of them because their equipment malfunctioned or wasn't used right I would not want the guilt of knowing that I didn't properly train them on how to use it.

Piney Power
    Berkeley Township, New Jersey, United States

Our department requires us to wear our hoods over our face masks every time we go to a fire and put on the masks. I've never had a problem with the hood covering my eyes or hindering my vision in any way.
    Pinewald Pioneer Vol. Fire Co. No. 1 Sta. 20
    "Piney Power"

Berkeley Emergency Response Team (B.E.R.T./Haz-Mat/WMD/CBRNE) Station 85
    Berkeley Township, New Jersey 08721

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by PineyPower View Post
    Our department requires us to wear our hoods over our face masks every time we go to a fire and put on the masks.
    Honestly, I think that is a silly requirement. No reason to cover part of the clear face piece with a hood.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post
    Honestly, I think that is a silly requirement. No reason to cover part of the clear face piece with a hood.
    I was in hopes that he meant that the hood was pulled up after the mask went on, surely no one is stupid enough to make a rule that the hood must be over the view portion of the mask?

Forum Member

I guess that the way you wear it is all personal preference. Everyone has their own way of doing it. I know some people who don't wear hoods, and I've heard about people wearing 2. I like to tuck my hood into the lip in the edge of the mask. That ensures my face and straps are concealed, but the hood isn't blocking my field of vision. Works for me.

MembersZone Subscriber

I dont wear a hood. I find that wearing a hood hinders my vision as I'm running away bunked out screaming that there is a house on fire and save me jebus
    The Box. You opened it. We Came...

"You'll take my life but I'll take your's too. You'll fire musket but I'll run you through. So when your waiting for the next attack, you'll better understand there's no turn back."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JHR1985 View Post
    I dont wear a hood. I find that wearing a hood hinders my vision as I'm running away bunked out screaming that there is a house on fire and save me jebus

HELP ME TOM CRUISE!!!

To the OP, this just shows my pet peeve on the fire ground. I have said it a few times on here. People need to SLOW DOWN. Put your gear on right, and don't run. You are going to help nobody if you get hurt.

Forum Member

Other than the strap hanging out, the first looks pretty normal to me. The curvature of the Scott mask helps keep the hood up even though it may look otherwise in my opinion.
    Just know, I chose my own fate. I drove by the fork in the road and went straight.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingKiwi View Post
    Go put your pussy 2 1/2" lines away kiddies.

Quote Originally Posted by Explorer343

By the way KEEPBACK200FEET, you're so dramatic!

the 4-1-4

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... Last

Thread Information