MembersZone Subscriber

Question Glynn County vs Camden County

I am trying to decide which department would be better to work for. Glynn County Fire Rescue or Camden County Fire Rescue. These departments are in south Georgia. I haven't heard much about either department and would like to see if anyone has any information on these departments. thanks

MembersZone Subscriber

Question

surely someone has to work for these departments!

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Brothers

Don't work for either. Work at base nearby. Glynn County runs hard and employs a lot of great firefighters. Camden stays busy and again full of great guys. Lot of frinds that work at both. Train with both

MembersZone Subscriber

Default More info?

thanks for the reply, but from what I understand, Kingsbay only hires you PT

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Kings bay

In the process of changing. We are working on hiring full time parttimers from nearby depts so we can hire fulltimers off the street. Not far down the pipe
    Still have AC job open/ filled inspectorf job

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Kingsland?

So how does Kingsland compare to Glynn and Camden. I am not afraid to work, just want to know where the pay and benefits are. The base seems like it would be very SLOW.

Forum Member

I was on St Marys for a couple years. Combo dept. I will leave the politics out of it, but the dept seemed full of career vs vollie when I was there...we had just made the switch to combo from full volunteer....but that being said, the vols in st marys only respond to injusry accidents, fires, smoke investigations, and hazmat. The Base does have full timers, but for the most part fill in spots with part timers...they pay really well for part timers, like 18 an hour in lieu of benefits, and you get paid for 16 hours, and then get paid for the last 8 hours at 1.5 if you run a call after midnight...but not may calls on base...I cant say for kingsland, but I beleive they were straight volunteer. Camden County is a good dept, but when I was there they ran alot of one man trucks and had multiple trucks for all calls. If you do go to st marys they have a nice new quint at station 9 (old county station 9)...Camdne county even had a truck running out of a hotel for a while there too. They also staff the ambulances, and all paramedics are cross trained fire fighters and will fight fire...One apt complex in St Marys called ummm Cumberland village??? maybe we had guys on the dept that wore Bullet proof vests before they went in there at dark...even better was it is a gated apt complex...So I can speak for Glynn County, but I can say over all Camden county isnt bad..but seems to be underfunded...

On a side note, I lived in Pelican Point Apts, and we never went there...Saw the PD there ALOT though...damn navy towns..lol...but as far as community, really nice park at the waterfront, gas stations everywhere that stay open all hours of the night(ones around me now close at 10 or midnight)...cant buy beer in st marys from 2 am until 5am..weird law...and jacksonville fl is right there..with lots of beaches
    Last edited by FireDawgEMT22; 03-05-2008 at 03:11 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up thanks

thanks firedawg for the reply. I'm still deciding what to do. I guess I'll get my medic switched to Natl Registry and go where the money, pay and work environment is the best.

Thread Information