Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Does DOD certs transfer to Michigan

I Have my FF1, FF2, Haz OPS, Haz Awareness, Haz Technician, and Incident commander. I currently am looking forward to returning to Michigan after i seperate and really need some info on this so i can plan ahead. So if you can any information would be helpful. Thank you

pills11.com )

Forum Member

Try this.

Macomb Community College
    Ken Staelgraeve
    Fire Science Faculty
    Center Campus A-232
    phone: 586.226.4991
    email: staelgraevek@macomb.edu

Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Quote Originally Posted by tlinn2424 View Post
    I Have my FF1, FF2, Haz OPS, Haz Awareness, Haz Technician, and Incident commander. I currently am looking forward to returning to Michigan after i seperate and really need some info on this so i can plan ahead. So if you can any information would be helpful. Thank you

pills11.com )
    When I worked for the military as a firefighter all the certs were through IFSAC. Wisconsin is an IFSAC accredited state so my certs had reciprocity. If I read the IFSAC website right Michigan is NOT an IFSAC state so it would depend on the authority having jurisdiction what you certs would mean there.

Answer=NO. Nothing against Ken, but he runs the Fire Science Associates Degree program, not the fire academy.

I am a career FF/Medic in MI and a Marine Reserve FF. I had been a career FF for 7 yrs when I lateral moved to Crash Crew. DoD accepted nothing. I chased every possible lead at the time (1999-2001). The MI FF Training Council refused to have anything to do with IFSAC or NPQ, and therefore there is no reciprocity either way. My IFSAC Fire Instructor I/II (80 hrs) was considered irrelevant and I had to take a MI Fire Instructor class (16 hrs). I had to challenge the IFSAC in PA to get an IFSAC FFI/II cert.

Last I heard, your best option is to get on a vol/POC Dept which can sponsor you to challenge the FFI/II exams. The FFTC will not allow you to challenge without being sponsored by a member dept. Find out yourself through contacts here:

http://michigan.gov/dleg/0,1607,7-15...325---,00.html

BTW, the job market for FFs in MI sucks right now, maybe worse than the whole economy does here right now. If you insist on coming back, get your Medic license ASAP. Jobs are posted on the left side of the state FF union website: www.mpffu.org

Good luck
    Last edited by gunnyv; 02-15-2008 at 09:52 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

I moved here to michigan from NH with FF1+FF2,haz mat ops awareness, Mfr Rit, the whole 9 yards and NOTHING carried over. So You might want to make some phone calls. I called the Michigan volunteer firemans association and also the regional training dir and he said I needed to take all the classes over again. So good luck

Thread Information