Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Best place to go?

Currently living in Wisconsin and having a heck of a time landing a career firefighter position. The questions I have if you were looking to go somewhere and nothing was holding you back where would be the best state or states to focus on getting hired from? Wisconsin seems to have only a hand full of jobs posting through out the year. I'm a single guy and have no kids or obligations holding me here. Any help would be appreciated!!

PortageFire53,

I was raised in Southern California and tested in CA, AZ, NV, OR, and VA. I was hired in AZ a little over 4 years ago. I was WILLING to go whereever I had to go to get this career. Decide on which states you would like to work/live in and go from there. The possibilities are endless.

Best Wishes

Forum Member

If you're a paramedic there are TONS of openings in Arizona and Texas.

Let's talk fire trucks! BoxAlarm187's Avatar

Maryland, Virginia, and the Carolinas are always hiring...
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

MembersZone Subscriber Paratrooper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BoxAlarm187 View Post
    Maryland, Virginia, and the Carolinas are always hiring...
    I second that. A lot of great departments in those areas.

Houston tests 2-3 times a year....

and if you got your medic patch, like it was stated.... Texas is ALWAYS looking for medics
    The Box. You opened it. We Came...

"You'll take my life but I'll take your's too. You'll fire musket but I'll run you through. So when your waiting for the next attack, you'll better understand there's no turn back."

MembersZone Subscriber

Currently NREMT Basic but also Wisconsin State IV Tech. The plan is get into a medic program come fall if I don't get picked up by a dept. before then. I just wish I would have taken care of my medic a long time ago......

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm from WI as well. Should try to test out of state if you can. I'm actually sitting in Los Angeles right now. I had an interview with the LAFD this morning. A few days ago I was taking my PAT in St Louis.

Also, Waukesha is taking apps right now. You need FF1(or a two-year degree) and EMT-B. Milwaukee should be taking apps this spring. Janesville just finished. I know that somewhere up north there are about 8 departments doing a joint test.(Eau Claire, La Crosse, Superior, etc.) They are small cities, but it's still a department. Wauwatosa should be testing soon. I'll let ya know if I hear of anything else. Good luck to you!
    Last edited by clark918; 02-14-2008 at 03:29 AM.

Default WI FF Jobs

Position: Part Time Firefighter
    Testing Agency: Sturtevant Fire & Rescue
    Requirements: FF I cert; EMT-B cert; Paramedic cert.
    Salary: n/a
    Filing Deadline: * Continuous Recruitment
    Special Instructions: Continuous Recruit Ė Accepting applications on a continuous basis. The testing agency does not have a position to fill at this time. They will accept your application and hold it on file for a certain amount of time.
    Contact Info: Application information available at 2801 89th St., Sturtevant, WI 53177. (262)886-7224.
    www.wisconsinjobnet.com

Position: Part Time Firefighter/EMT
    Testing Agency: Village of Waterford
    Requirements: At least 18; HS/GED; VDL; WI FF I cert; WI EMT-B cert.
    Salary: $10.00 per hour
    Special Instructions: Continuous Recruit Ė Accepting applications on a continuous basis. The testing agency does not have a position to fill at this time. They will accept your application and hold it on file for a certain amount of time.
    Contact Info: Application information available at 123 N. River St., Waterford, WI 53185. (262)716-5475.
    www.waterford-wi.org

Position: Various Positions
    Testing Agency: Rural Metro Corporation Emergency Services
    Location: Rural Metro Corporation Emergency Services, Various Counties, WI
    Requirements: Depending on position.
    Salary: NA
    Filing Deadline: * This job is open until filled.
    Special Instructions:
    Contact Info: Please visit the website below for all available positions.
    www.ruralmetro.com

Position: Firefighter
    Testing Agency: City of Waukesha
    Requirements: At least 19; HS/GED; VDL; AA or higher in Fire Science or cert of WI FF I cert; WI EMT cert.
    Filing Deadline: February 29
    Special Instructions: Applications will be available at Jan 27, 2008.
    Contact Info: Application information available at 130 W. St. Paul, Waukesha, WI 53188. (262)524-3651.
    www.ci.waukesha.wi.us

Testing Agency: Watertown Fire Dept.
    Requirements: HS/GED; VDL; at least 18; WI FF I cert; must live w/in 15 mile radius of City Hall.
    Contact Info: Application information available at 106 Jones St., Watertown, WI 53094. (920)261-3610.
    www.ci.watertown.wi.us

Testing Agency: Town of Brookfield
    Requirements: At least 18; HS/GED; VDL; FF I cert; EMT-B cert; no felony record.
    Contact Info: Application information available at 645 N. Janacek Rd., Brookfield, WI 53045. (262)796-3792.
    www.townofbrookfield.com

Position: Part Time: Firefighter, Firefighter/EMT & EMT
    Testing Agency: Palmyra Fire Dept.
    Requirements: At least 18; VWIDL; WI FF cert; EMT cert.
    Contact Info: Application information available at 126 N. First St., Palmyra, WI 53156. (262)495-2380.
    www.palmyrafd.com

Position: Firefighter/EMT-B & Firefighter/EMT-P
    Testing Agency: Town of Brookfield
    Requirements: WI FF I cert; WI EMT-B or EMT-P cert; current CPAT.
    Salary: $11.01 - $14.16 per hour
    Filing Deadline: March 1
    Special Instructions: n/a
    Contact Info: Applications available on website below.
    www.townofbrookfield.com

Position: Firefighter/EMT
    Testing Agency: New Berlin Volunteer Fire Dept.
    Requirements: At least 18; VDL.
    Contact Info: Application information available at 16300 W. Nat'l Ave., New Berlin, WI 53151. (262)785-6120.
    www.newberlin.org

Position: Firefighter
    Testing Agency: Mount Pleasant Fire Dept.
    Requirements: HS/GED; FF I cert; Paramedic cert; at least 18.
    Contact Info: Application information available at 6126 Durand Ave., Racine, WI 53406. (262)554-8750.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by PortageFire53 View Post
    I just wish I would have taken care of my medic a long time ago......
    Here, here! The game and the rules change quickly when you're a medic.

This from another candidate:

This is the farthest I have ever gotten in the process.

I tested for two departments in Nevada at the beggining of the month: Henderson and Las Vegas City. Las Vegas City was an open test and my best guess is that at least 4 to 5 thousand people tested. Henderson was a medic test and I was only competing against 76 people.

"Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

MembersZone Subscriber

You are approaching this the wrong way. Decide the region/state you want to spend the rest of your life in. Once you have done that, learn the minium requirements for your target departments.

The way you are going about it, you are going to land a job in an area where you don't have any connection to the community or area. Being a firefighter on a good department in an area that appeals to you is the template for a great life.

Being a firefighter on a department that you don't care for in an area of the country that you don't like is a recipe for unhappiness.

Sit down and create a plan before you go any further.

Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    www.aspiringfirefighters.com
    Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    www.aspiringfirefighters.com

Forum Member

Default Life Can be Plan B

Jon and his 9-fire technology academy buddies set out to target six departments in the northwest they wanted to work for. Their plan A would cultivate these departments and be in a position when they tested. After almost two years no one got hired or was high enough to be considered. Then Jon read on this web that encouraged candidates to test wherever they could get to.

Take Any Test You Can!

"Luck is given to the prepared" Thomas Jefferson

This made since to Jon especially when he figured out that he was only able to take around two tests a year. Like hands on academy and education skills if you donít use your oral board skills you will get rusty faster than trying to throw a 35í wood ladder or laying a line when you havenít donít it for awhile.

This is not taking into consideration that departments donít always test every two years, switch to medics only, or hire only laterals. Jon also figured out that with most departments 100% of the score to get hired was in the oral board so he ordered our program so he learned how take a firefighter interview which is like no other.

So, non medic Jon tried to convince his 9 buddies to expand their horizons and establish plan B to test any and every where they could to keep their oral board skills at the cutting edge. None of his buddies were interested because they believed that because of their academy training and education and how they were laying the ground work it would only be a matter of time before one of the six departments on plan A would pay off.

In a short time non-medic Jon found out the more tests he took the better he got at taking tests. His oral board scores started climbing and he was getting called back for chief interviews. Then BINGO! Jon gets a job offer from THE PREMIUM fire department in the southwest (yea, that one Phoenix). As he was packing to leave he offered our program that helped him get hired to his buddies. He was surprised they werenít interested. Didnít need it. They were still banking on plan A.

Itís now 3 years later and Jonís dream department, THE PREMIUM department in the state of Washington (yep, thatís the one, Seattle), announces their test. Guess what? Jon gets a job offer and gets to go home with his new bride, also from Washington.

So, how many of his 9 buddies were hired during this period of time? None, zip, nada.

Sometimes life can be plan B.
    ______________________________ _______________

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Default Test where you want to be

Maybe its just me but, I tested for every department who threw a test. With that being said I had to turn down their offers to get my dream Department. I think going to a Department and then training with them and then leaving them for your dream department is wrong. It takes up precious time and money to train you ....just to go to another department. I think you should stay where you are at and wait for the department you want to call and quit wasting time and money where you do not want to be.
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Forum Member

TEXAS TEXAS TEXAS - Fort Worth, Houston, San Antonio, Austin, Dallas - TEXAS TEXAS TEXAS

MembersZone Subscriber

Hasn't the Fort Worth test already taken place? I was planning on going but I couldn't get time off from work. And does Houston truly test 2-3 times a year? For some reason it has always been one of the top departments I've ever wanted to work for.

Default Good Thread!

Like clark918 said earlier, Milwaukee will be taking applications soon. If you want to work in a big city department like that, you should fill out their job interest form to get on the mailing list. Here's the link if you're interested: JOB INTEREST FORM Milwaukee doesn't hire very often, so I'm definitely going to be applying there myself.
    Until you've been on a Harley-Davidson, you haven't been on a motorcycle

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by strub34 View Post
    Hasn't the Fort Worth test already taken place? I was planning on going but I couldn't get time off from work. And does Houston truly test 2-3 times a year? For some reason it has always been one of the top departments I've ever wanted to work for.
    Fort Worth tested in December. They are testing about once a year now. Houston does test that often and they have a number of ways you can get picked up. They test for certified paramedics, FF/EMTs, or straight civil service.

Forum Member

Can I improve my chances of getting hired if I move to a different area?

Do yourself a big favor. Test everywhere you can from where you live. Because the more tests you take the better you get at taking tests. Donít even think about moving until you get the invitation in writing that you have the job. Never move away from family, friends, support and established connections thinking that will improve your chances of getting a badge.

ďThe grass is greener on the other side of the fence. Itís just as hard to crew, you have to water it too, itís just different grass.Ē

This is not the first time I've seen this question. A candidate is invited to the chiefís oral. He just knows they want him. He gives notice at his job, his apartment and finds a new apartment for the city he is being considered for. He starts packing. After the chiefís interview he is notified to complete the medical, given the date for the academy, uniform fitting and then the psych. He flies down to complete these items in two days. He goes by with his wife to check on the new apartment, flies home and waits for the mover to show up the next day.

Donít touch that dial. There is something wrong with the psych interview. It comes back inconclusive. They want him to retake the psych. But the movers are on their way. I can taste that badge. I know they want me.

"Captain Bob" www.eatstress.com

Here is a link to everything hiring in Texas right now.

http://www.tcfp.state.tx.us/employment.asp
    Drew Lyman,
    "Dear Chief, much has happened since we talked last..."

Forum Member

I know who PortageFire is and we were in the same Fire Protection program together. I also have tested for many of the same departments listed and many of the same places he went to. The problem in Wisconsin, and the country in general, is most local governments are looking at hiring freezes due to the poor economy of today. While one can test and test, ace an interview and being number one on a list, doesn't mean a thing if no one is hiring.

Many of the departments posted by AZFF are POC and not really what the O.P. is looking for. The fulltime departments may hire, but it isn't guaranteed. The state was in similar financial straits in '01 to '04, yet many departmenst still tested, interviewed and so forth, they just didn't hire.

Portage, I would definately work on getting your paramedic certification. Look at testing where you can, but paying for flights, hotels, gas and so forth adds up fast for a job that may not be a guarantee, whereas that money could be spent on schooling. Get into a medic program and keep looking at depts where it is easier to test to. Once you get your paramedic, there are many doors that can open for you and your options go further than a fulltime dept you get hired in.

I did much of the same thing as you when I was looking. I tested many places, concerned about the job moreso than the area I would be living if I got hired. There is good and bad everywhere you go and it is what you make of it. Meaning if the job is more important to you than the area, I say go for it. I would still recommend doing your schooling for medic. One can only improve themselves with more education.

Also, there is some talk that the Shared revenue program wants to get reviewed and go before the govenor. Basically there are several folks, of both parties and many communities, working on a proposal where municipalities and areas are grouped together and the area benefits from the growth etc of individual municipalities. Such as Madison, Janesville, Edgerton, Fitchburg, etc are lumped into the same area and the Shared Revenue would benefit everyone in that area, vs the way it is now where those places that are growing reap the most benefit. With the proposal rural areas would benefit along with those areas growing. In the Green Bay area, etc the city would benefit by the expansion of the suburbs, etc. Basically, it can spread the Shared Revenue money out better and help alleviate the money crunch facing most cities with full time departments.

In the end, if this does work out and you get your paramedic certification, the times it takes you to get that and apply for departments, I think things may be better economy wise and you'll see departments hire again. Good luck to you and feel free to contact me anytime if you have questions. I believe you have the email.
    The thoughts and opinions posted here are mine and mine alone and do not reflect the thoughts and or views of city or dept affiliation.

Thread Information