Forum Member

Default Air Force many firefighters

AF bases through out the USA are hiring. All US citizens qualify and you can go to usajobs.com to apply.

Does anyone know why the Air Force is hiring so many?

Stay safe,

K

MembersZone Subscriber

Maybe because they are under a buget axe like other branches and have to draw down manning? Turning the FF jobs over to the DoD like other branches are having to do, and using their remaining manpower in vital functions.

Just a guess. Could be right, could be wrong.
    Co 11
    Virginia Beach FD

Amateurs practice until they get it right; professionals practice until they cannot get it wrong. Which one are you?

'The fire went out and nobody got hurt' is a poor excuse for a fireground critique.

Forum Member

Many of those ads on USAJOBS are ploys set up by recruiters to reel you in and try and get you to enlist (ever see the want ads in the newspaper "Firefighters Wanted! Worldwide locations! Excellent pay and benefits!, call 1-800-872-6289 (1-800-USA-NAVY!!!!)) I bet if you read the position description it states "Enlistment Required."

And yes, there are a shortage of firefighters stateside right now. At many posts, the USAF uses the enlisted personnel for the airfield, and civilians for structural.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

These are GS positions, so I do not believe you have to enlist. The job announcement is pretty long, so I could be wrong. It never hurts to apply.

Staty safe.

MembersZone Subscriber

These are called open continuous announcements. The navy does the same thing. There may not be a position open, but when you fill out the application, there will be a list come up with all the places you want to apply for, and you click the box.

They had firefighter/paramedic positions "open" at McConnell AFB. Unfortunately, there are no paramedic positions at McConnell AFB Fire (as of last month, when I asked)

178th FW

It actually took me a lot of effort and pulling strings to get my job in the Air Force. They were all about sending me to PJ school when I enlisted but I was heart set on being a firefighter.

Our base has civilian employee's on the fire dept. as well as the military guys. Makes for an interesting time.

Forum Member

So then what is the deal with the AF cutting civi jobs? for example..Langley...I heard its something like 900 spots are being cut

MembersZone Subscriber

Those job openings arent really jobs that are available, for example the base I am at just let go 10 civilians but if you look on usajobs you would think we were in dire need of crew chiefs. Once you fill out your app on the site it would tell you there are no jobs at that base try this base or something like that. The Air Force is in the midst of cutting both military and civilian fire fighters to cut back and try to just go off of the FAA staffing requirments of 1 or 2 people per crash truck instead of the 3 or 4 the Air Force likes to see on it. All I can say is try to apply and if your lucky you might get a job but dont be surprised if you dont or if it is just temporary while the guys are deployed and once they get back your looking for a new job.

Thread Information