Forum Member

Talking Do we get this option......

If we were to throw out our backs lifting this individual could we or would we even think of suing him. It's bad enough the physical dangers we face on the job then when we try to help someone (who obviously can't help himself) and something goes wrong they want someone to pay. Hopefully he uses the money to buy a house with no stairs and a crane so this won't happen next time he calls the Fire Department.

FDNY SUED by 500-pound man

A 500-pound man who dropped down a flight of stairs during an emergency evacuation is suing the New York City Fire Department for $5 million in damages.

James Maietta called emergency services on November 23, 2006, with health complaints, and requested to be taken to the hospital, a member of the law firm representing Mr. Maietta, Kenneth Berman, said.

Ten firemen rigged a pulley-operated plywood lift to carry Mr. Maietta down the staircase of his Midtown apartment, but failed to tie him down, Mr. Berman said.

Mr. Maietta, who is now living at a Yonkers nursing home, suffered injuries to his neck, back, and legs, Mr. Berman said.

The New York City Law Department could not comment last night because they had not yet received the legal documents.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Forum Member

All I can say to that is, wow.

That must have been something else. I can see this case going 2 ways, one, everyone feels bad for the big man and he gets $5mil. Or people blame him for letting himself get so huge or something weird like that.

Forum Member

Screw that I don't feel sorry for him one bit.

He weighs 500 pounds. It is his fault he can't be moved normally.
    BE A BACKBONE - NOT A JAWBONE

Forum Member

I'll second that.

MembersZone Subscriber

I hope this fat piece of crap gets thrown out court faster than he can buy a dozen donughts at the local bakery! It's one thing to have a genetic predisposition towards obesity but come on, 500 pounds! Take some personal accountability with your life style and do something to change the way you live man.
    Greater love has no man than to lay his life down for a friend.

Forum Member

Here's my free advice to this jagoff:

1) Don't live up massive flight's of stairs when you weigh 1/4 of a TON!
    2) Don't let yourself get too be a 1/4 of a TON!

I hope this guy loses this frivilous lawsuit!!!!

Is he suing McDonald's, Burger King, Wendy's, Arby's, Carls Jr, Hardees, Fat Burger, Jack In The Box, Taco Bell, Kentucky Fried Chicken, Churches Chicken, Popeye's Chicken, Del Taco, Long John Silvers, and every other fast food restaraunt that served him food and "let him get this big"? God knows.....it's not his fault!
    Last edited by AZFF25; 02-14-2008 at 12:31 AM.

Forum Member

You have to remember that it's a "disease" they can't help it, we should be so lucky that the cheeseburgers, fries, tacos, milk shakes aren't attacking our throats like they are this guy. Or maybe it's the departments fault because in the academy we train with 180lb dummies, c'mon now guys that's not the real world, you need 500lb dummies to train with.

MembersZone Subscriber

That does bring up an interesting question, can emergency responders sue the general public for injuries they receive? This is a split issue. For instance, can a firefighter sue the owners of a residence if that firefighter is injured while putting a fire out? Personally, I do not think so because that is a condition that the firefighter know could happen before he we to that fire. Then again, and EMT at an MVA is hit by a driver who is not paying attention. Can that EMT sue? I'm sure they can, because it was the direct result of someone else's negligence.

Everyone is sue happy these days.

Forum Member

you know, not for nothing, while his weight is his fault, according to the lawsuit he wasn't properly tied down, and was dropped down a flight of stairs, resulting in injuries to his neck, back and legs.

if the FD screwed up and didn't properly secure him, and he is permanently disabled because of it, maybe it's not as oblivious as people are claiming?

think of it this way, if the guy was only 200lb, and the same situation occurred, would all of you still be blaming the victim?
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

IACOJ BOD

If he weighed 200 pounds he would have been able to feckin walk to the hospital wouldn't he.

Just a thought.
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrParasite View Post
    you know, not for nothing, while his weight is his fault, according to the lawsuit he wasn't properly tied down,
    I agree about the part of not being tied down properly. My concern is I have never been trained on how to PROPERLY tie down a 500 lb. person. Not sure what this entails. Is this the same tie down procedures with larger straps, or is it a whole different animal? We need to wait and see what comes of this and possibly adjust our training.
    Just someone trying to help! (And by the way....Thanks for YOUR help!)

Aggressive does not have to equal stupid.

** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrParasite View Post
    you know, not for nothing, while his weight is his fault, according to the lawsuit he wasn't properly tied down, and was dropped down a flight of stairs, resulting in injuries to his neck, back and legs.

if the FD screwed up and didn't properly secure him, and he is permanently disabled because of it, maybe it's not as oblivious as people are claiming?

think of it this way, if the guy was only 200lb, and the same situation occurred, would all of you still be blaming the victim?

My company was involved in this.....all I will say is the article makes it sound much worse than it was. And we had to go back and do it again about a year after this incident, and he was fine, and certainly not "permently disabled".....at least anymore than is prior "condition"

Getting a 500 plus size guy down 3 flights in an 100 year old tenement is not easy, My guess is you could do it better Dr...???

Forum Member

Goes along with what I was saying (didn't realise this had already been posted)

Where does this insane suing stop, it seems as though normal decency has gone out the window.

I feel sorry for you guys in America, having this threat over your head all the time, they call you for help, then sue you for your effort.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MattyJ View Post
    My company was involved in this.....all I will say is the article makes it sound much worse than it was. And we had to go back and do it again about a year after this incident, and he was fine, and certainly not "permently disabled".....at least anymore than is prior "condition"
    ok, I was only going on what limited information I had. don't kill the messenger, esp since my comments were only made on the article (which in your eyes makes it sound worse than it really is)

Quote Originally Posted by MattyJ View Post
    Getting a 500 plus size guy down 3 flights in an 100 year old tenement is not easy, My guess is you could do it better Dr...???
    i never said i could. maybe carry him down in stair stair with with the treads (much easier, especially with the heavy patients), assuming you guys carry them on your ambulances. I don't know.

but if for some reason the FD didn't properly secure him and he fell down a flight of stairs, and suffered serious injury, then the lawsuit still isn't frivolous regardless of the weight.
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

MembersZone Subscriber

Angry Fat ***!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

His weight is the issue. If he was only 200 lbs the FD would not of had to rig a Plywood lift (4' X 8") to lower his fat *** down three flights of steps. If he only was only 200 lbs. the FFs could have seen that he was not straped down to the board. He is 500 lbs they could not see through the rolls of fat that he was not strapped in. Maybe they ran out of rope?
    If you dont want to get dropped, dont weigh 500 lbs., dont live up three flights of steps. You say you cant help your weight, bull****! Push your fat *** away from the table. Its a gland problem you say. Hell its a "you're lazzy and eat to much problem" Muti-million $ lawsuit? I hope he eats his lawyer, or at least steps on his foot. He should accept the FF's sincere apology, tell them he sorry that he is a fat ***, thank them for their help and call it a day,
    Last edited by BULL321; 02-14-2008 at 11:13 AM.
    Stay Safe
    Bull

“Guys if you get hurt, we’ll help you. If you get sick we’ll treat you. If you want to bitch and moan, then all I can tell you is to flick the sand out of your slit, suck it up or get the hell out!”
    - Capt. Marc Cox CFD

Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.
    -WINSTON CHURCHILL

Badgerland FOOL

Who's definition of "improperly securing" a patient are they using, a 500lb guy and his lawyer who have never worked as a ff or emt?

Perhaps, the pt. was secured as properly as possible given the pts condition and means of egress from the building. Sometimes stuff happens especially when you're fighting the effects of gravity on 500 lbs of dead weight...if they took all precautions necessary and were using great care to prevent injury they FDNY should have no problem with this.

Again, as the NYC firefighter pointed out it sounds worse because we're only hearing one side of the story.....I'm sure the firefighters in question didn't just slap the guy on a board and giddyup and go. Which is how the guy is playing it off.

Someone mentioned using a stair chair....I don't know about the stair chairs on your rig, but the one on ours would not be large enough to accomodate a 500 lber. We have a taken a person that runs about 245 or so and they filled it out to the max. As said in other posts if the guy was more reasonable size they coulda used more orthodox means to get him out.
    Last edited by mvfd27; 02-14-2008 at 11:22 AM.

Forum Member

In my opinion, it all comes down to personal accountability. This country is not holding anyone accountability for anything anymore. It is always someone else's fault, never the person who initiated the problem. The guy is 500lbs, that is his choice, nobody forced the food he ate down his throat. Therefore he should be held accountability for his weight. Individuals cannot expect the fire/police/ems departments to have a piece of equipment for just for them. Could the department have handled the situation differently? Yes they could have, however they did what they felt was necessary and was the best option at the time. The guy placed himself in this situation and should be held accountable for it.
    Last edited by mpullen32; 02-14-2008 at 11:25 AM.

Forum Member

Put a big mac on the end of a stick and use it to lead him down the stairs and into the ambulance.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

I'm assuming theres no set way of taking a morbidly obese person down the stairs. What exactly constitutes properly tieing this man down? Im sure the firefighters believed they had him properly tied down and to the best of their ability tried to secure him to the makeshift lift.

Just putting it out there though, an animal shelter center near me does large animal rescue training yearly and attracts agencies from all over the country. Sounds like a class, everyone should take for when you need to get a large animal out of a building.

Forum Member

Reminds me of Denis Leary's skit on Fat ****s...

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by nameless View Post
    I'm assuming theres no set way of taking a morbidly obese person down the stairs. What exactly constitutes properly tieing this man down? Im sure the firefighters believed they had him properly tied down and to the best of their ability tried to secure him to the makeshift lift.

Just putting it out there though, an animal shelter center near me does large animal rescue training yearly and attracts agencies from all over the country. Sounds like a class, everyone should take for when you need to get a large animal out of a building.
    I'm not sure what "properly" tying them down would involve. If you've ever moved people of that size, you know it's like trying to secure a 50 gallon drum of jello. We regularly had to pick up a heifer (668lbs when she died) and she just flopped off the heavy duty stretcher we bought just for her. I can only assume that going down stairs at such an angle you would have to secure them so tight it would damage something. Then they'd be getting sued for something else.

MembersZone Subscriber

[QUOTE=DrParasite;919772]
    i never said i could. maybe carry him down in stair stair with with the treads (much easier, especially with the heavy patients), assuming you guys carry them on your ambulances. I don't know. QUOTE]

Even if they had the "new fancy treaded" stairchairs 500lbs isnt easy to carry down 3 flights of stairs no matter what way you look at it. Someone who's 350lb just BARELY fits into one of those chairs and it was rough carrying them down 1 flight of stairs I could only imagine putting a 500lb person in a chair and doing 3 flights. People are right..how do you properly secure a 500lb person? Its impossible...We had a 600lb person in cardiac arrest in my area one night and we had to remove doors and part of the wall just to get them out of the bedroom they were in and secured the patient to the reeves the best we could. Its a shame we live in a world where everyone is sue happy...makes our job just that more difficult sometimes...
    Andrew
    Firefighter/EMT
    New Jersey

makes good girls go bad

Quote Originally Posted by Engine58 View Post
    We had a 600lb person in cardiac arrest in my area one night and we had to remove doors and part of the wall just to get them out of the bedroom they were in and secured the patient to the reeves the best we could. Its a shame we live in a world where everyone is sue happy...makes our job just that more difficult sometimes...
    Eff that. Check rhythm. Asystole? Two rounds, Epi or Vasopressin and Atropine. Still Asystole?

Ashes to ashes.....
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

MembersZone Subscriber

Here is a link to the fancy treaded stair chair........

http://www.ems.stryker.com/detail.jsp?id=5

We have them and they do work great. But it is still a "normal" size chair. We have used it on people who weigh about 300 lbs, and it is still a struggle. The flubber just lays over the sides and makes the weight uneven. I could hardly imagine a 500 pound person fitting down the staircase of a tenement if he was walking, much less having to be carried. If you are that morbidly obese, move to the first floor. I would have to imagine that this fat f*@k was a shut in, I am sure he had been up or down those stairs in a long time.

Stay Safe
    Chris Polimeni
    Prince George's County FD
    Back at the Big 29er

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by BLSboy View Post
    Eff that. Check rhythm. Asystole? Two rounds, Epi or Vasopressin and Atropine. Still Asystole?

Ashes to ashes.....
    I agree 100% with you but unfortunatley they went into arrest while we were there... Otherwise....Def a pronouncement..
    Andrew
    Firefighter/EMT
    New Jersey

Thread Information