Forum Member

Talking Brand Spankin New Kentland Thread

Here you go boys. A new and current thread to enjoy.

I am also amazed that these guys can run so many calls for a 100% vollie station. If they are aggressive, god bless them, but a little class goes along way. If they were around here, they wouldnt be invited to my party(or anyone elses) if they didnt play well. Does PGFD have mutual aid agreements in place? Whats the deal Harve?
    Last edited by Frmboybuck; 02-13-2008 at 09:25 PM. Reason: Outdated info...............
    Buck
    Assistant Chief/EMT-B

Forum Member

Hey, lets all start a Kentland thread. They can't shut us all down.............can they?

Forum Member

We could start another thread but we might not "finish what we start", we should just go home Kentland's got it.

MembersZone Subscriber

What is up with Kentland? I missed the last thread. What the big deal?

Thanks
    Bull
    Stay Safe
    Bull

“Guys if you get hurt, we’ll help you. If you get sick we’ll treat you. If you want to bitch and moan, then all I can tell you is to flick the sand out of your slit, suck it up or get the hell out!”
    - Capt. Marc Cox CFD

Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.
    -WINSTON CHURCHILL

Forum Member

Yeah, what is this "kentland" I hear so much about?
    I am a complacent liability to the fire service

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoFF View Post
    Yeah, what is this "kentland" I hear so much about?
    The land where Kent is from. Duh!
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking

Everyones a comedian now! I love it! Maybe we will start a pledge drive...
    For every new Kentland thread, you get a new whacker shirt! Once 33 threads are started, you qualify for a trip for two to ride along at Kentland! You ride the firetrucks while your girlfriend visits the bunkroom!

I love this place!
    Chris Polimeni
    Prince George's County FD
    Back at the Big 29er

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RspctFrmCalgary View Post
    The land where Kent is from. Duh!

hey now, don't go bashing kent, i live next to a city named kent and a very respectible fire department named Kent Fire Department, just because kent is in the name doesn't mean everything with kent is bad :P

Forum Member

You are all just a bunch of haters.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Quote Originally Posted by mhenrich View Post
    hey now, don't go bashing kent, i live next to a city named kent and a very respectible fire department named Kent Fire Department, just because kent is in the name doesn't mean everything with kent is bad :P

No Kent bashing going on here! I was referring to our friend from down under, PSFB
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

MembersZone Subscriber

Forget KENTland, I want to go to BARBIEland!

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs up Well............

Quote Originally Posted by Frmboybuck View Post
    Here you go boys. A new and current thread to enjoy.

I am also amazed that these guys can run so many calls for a 100% vollie station. If they are aggressive, god bless them, but a little class goes along way. If they were around here, they wouldnt be invited to my party(or anyone elses) if they didnt play well. Does PGFD have mutual aid agreements in place? Whats the deal Harve?

Buck, Two Things.............

1. IN BEFORE THE LOCK!!.......

2. In this area "Mutual Aid" is not a term that's used much. What we do is EVERYONE participates in the following arrangement:

If you are the closest FD or VFD to an Address, it's yours, Everything that is yours is known as your "First Due".

If you are the 2nd closest, you are 2nd due, and so on........... 75th due?? yeah, someone is........

Each County is required to have a Central Dispatch Center to serve that County.

Each County Dispatch Center receives all calls that orgionate in that County, via the 911 phone system. If you live in Maryland, You MUST call 911 for an Emergency and NO Agency may advertise any other phone number for emergency use.

All apparatus is dispatched solely on the basis of who is closest. Period. No Town, City, Township (Thank God we don't have Townships!!) or State lines interfere. A VFD north of us routinely gets Apparatus from 4 Different COUNTIES on a box alarm. (Box alarms are 4 Engines, 2 Ladders, A Heavy Rescue, and a couple of Chiefs. Minimum.) A box alarm is dispatched for every Structure Fire.

Mutual Aid? No, we all function as one huge organization, even though Apparatus colors and department names are different on every piece out there. And we wouldn't have it any other way.

Footnote: Not inviting someone to your Fire is not possible here. If an incident requires 10 Engines, you're getting the 10 closest Engines. If you don't want the 7th Engine, regardless of the reason, Tough, They're coming, and you have to use them. And like it.

Only One Person benefits from this system, and that's the person who needs help. And that, of course, is why we're here in the first place.
    Last edited by hwoods; 02-14-2008 at 12:06 AM. Reason: Adding stuff as I think of it......
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Sounds like a pretty good system Marylands got going.
    Hello. Fire dept.. You light'em, We fight'em!

"hard working, gear jamming, nail driving, "jake". "

IACOJ
    4-16-2010 "On the approach"

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by hwoods View Post
    Buck, Two Things.............

If you are the closest FD or VFD to an Address, it's yours, Everything that is yours is known as your "First Due".
    Harv how is this determined? We just finally got an automatic mutual aid system working in our county, but it is still based on your original territory. We have our coverage area that we normally respond to, but if we have a confirmed structure fire the next closest department sends an engine. The way you describe sounds like a much better system as we have an area that is only 5 road miles from our station. The problem is that the department that has this area is 9 miles away so we are technically 2nd due for mutual aid.

One other question. How long has your dispatch system been in place? I would love for something like this to happen in our county!
    It's a jungle out there. You have to watch out for number 1, but be careful not to step in number 2! - Rodney Dangerfield

Some people are like slinkies, not really good for anything but you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.

Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first.

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm in Montgomery County, sort of the other side from PG, but generally speaking:
    - You get called first for what's in your first due (naturally). [ Chief, the first due lines are terminated at the county lines, correct? So that would mean that some places in your first due might actually be farther from your station than from one in the neighboring county. But you'd still get them before the closer station in the other county. Right? ]
    - If a piece from your station is already committed on a call, the next closest station - from whatever jurisdiction - gets it. Our stations next to the PG County line are routinely called directly by PG, then check up with our own ECC as they start on the call. 12 (Hillandale) and 15 (Burtonsville) run a lot into PG, just as PG 34 runs a lot into Montgomery.
    - The mutual aid agreements are automatic, so there's no extra clearance needed to request aid. Montgomery units routinely run into Frederick, Howard, Carroll, and Prince George's counties, the District of Columbia, and into Fairfax (VA) County (usually on the Beltway).
    - The integration between these jurisdictions (via the Washington area Council of Governments) has tightened up considerably over the years; most use interoperable 800-MHz radios and most have gone to the new COG numbering system, where each jurisdiction gets a prefix (7 for Montgomery, 8, for PG, etc.) For example, Montgomery medic 299 is now Medic 729, PG Engine 341 is now Engine 834.

Forum Member

Thanks Harve, I now have 2 posts in before the lock. I was wondering how that worked out there. Around here we get to decide who we play with. We get along with pretty much everyone here but there are those that we call for first and those that will always be called last. Our mutual aid is mainly for water. Thats normally all we need as the fires dont get very big around here to constitute large amounts of manpower. Our district is 85 square miles and set up really weird. For example,on the west we go within 1/4 mile of the neighboring town(7 miles from our station). Why it is set up like that i'll never know but thats the way its been for years.
    Buck
    Assistant Chief/EMT-B

Forum Member

Firefighter for Vestal 32-2

American Red Cross Volunteer

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by sts060 View Post
    I'm in Montgomery County, sort of the other side from PG, but generally speaking:
    - You get called first for what's in your first due (naturally). [ Chief, the first due lines are terminated at the county lines, correct? So that would mean that some places in your first due might actually be farther from your station than from one in the neighboring county. But you'd still get them before the closer station in the other county. Right? ]
    - If a piece from your station is already committed on a call, the next closest station - from whatever jurisdiction - gets it. Our stations next to the PG County line are routinely called directly by PG, then check up with our own ECC as they start on the call. 12 (Hillandale) and 15 (Burtonsville) run a lot into PG, just as PG 34 runs a lot into Montgomery.
    - The mutual aid agreements are automatic, so there's no extra clearance needed to request aid. Montgomery units routinely run into Frederick, Howard, Carroll, and Prince George's counties, the District of Columbia, and into Fairfax (VA) County (usually on the Beltway).
    - The integration between these jurisdictions (via the Washington area Council of Governments) has tightened up considerably over the years; most use interoperable 800-MHz radios and most have gone to the new COG numbering system, where each jurisdiction gets a prefix (7 for Montgomery, 8, for PG, etc.) For example, Montgomery medic 299 is now Medic 729, PG Engine 341 is now Engine 834.

Yeah and from what I have heard.....no one likes using the whole idea of using COG unit numbers in county. Pretty f'ing stupid if you ask me.

So these are the old designations on the left and new on the right:

RS19= R741
    RS18= R741B

M10= M741
    M11= M741B
    M12= M741C

A13= A741D
    A14= A741E
    A15= A741F

To hell with the damn COG numbers, they will always be Squad 18 and Squad 19 to me.

The watch desk has alot of info on it.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

MembersZone Subscriber

"The watch desk has alot of info on it."

The Watchdesk makes the National Enquierer look like the New York Times. The info on there is barely relevant.

Not a shot at you RFRD, thats my opinion, but I think I am pretty close to the mark.

Maybe someone else can correct me if I am wrong. But I believe there are Box Assignments in Pg (34's area) that Mont. Co. is actually listed as first due and with the new COG number, is actually dispatched as such. I know down by me, the new National Harbor project will have Fairfax and I believe NDW units dispatched on the initial box alarm.

And yes, just about everyone HATES the new COG numbering.

Stay Safe

Long Live The Kentland Threads
    Chris Polimeni
    Prince George's County FD
    Back at the Big 29er

Let's talk fire trucks!

Most of Virginia is just as though Harve described.

In my rural volunteer county, we're dispatched just like PG. There are 5 independent VFD's that are dispatched through the county's 911 center, and we work in harmony with one another. Likewise, if there are stations in another county that are closer to the scene, they automatically respond, and vice versa. This includes the large, 500 person career department that borders our 1st due .... when we respond automatic aid into their jurisdiction, we're just plugged into the system like one of their own, and when they respond in our county, we have them fill the role of the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd due engine as outlined in our county's SOP's.

Although I know it happens all over the US, the practice of "picking" your mutual aid is so foreign folks in our area.

Now, back to the original topic, you know the boys on Landover Road have to be sitting back a laughing as we continue to talk about 'em...
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

makes good girls go bad

Quote Originally Posted by hwoods View Post
    Footnote: Not inviting someone to your Fire is not possible here. If an incident requires 10 Engines, you're getting the 10 closest Engines. If you don't want the 7th Engine, regardless of the reason, Tough, They're coming, and you have to use them. And like it.

Only One Person benefits from this system, and that's the person who needs help. And that, of course, is why we're here in the first place.
    Chief, that is an EXCELLENT system. Too bad that will never fly here. City vs County vs Vollies vs ANYone paid consumes us.

There was recently a fire that made the front page of FH.com, and resulted in multiple calls to my cell that happened just down the road from me. Problem is, it came as news to me, since we were never called. Certain Depts will call in their own apparatus, scattered all abouts the County, rather then call in the closest. The CLOSEST dept was less then a mile away. But the incident was literally, 100 feet outside their city. They never left quarters. But stations that are 5, 6, and 7 miles away were banged out.

While the "stupid vollies" (as how I am referred to from certain paid "Brothers") of Md can not only "get it", but provide the best service to the citizens of their State, there are still circa 1800 ****ing matches going on here. And in a county of high and mighty paid firemen.

(Authors note: this was partly fueled by my rage at the stupidity of the county, the depts not being able to play nice together, and being harassed by my "Brother" Firemen for being "just a vollie", as I go through school to, ironically enough, become a paid fireman.)
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

Forum Member

hwoods and BLSboy-

I agree, the Maryland system does sound like a great way to do things. I think the key to making the system work is that it is a county wide funded thing. Makes it harder for people to squawk about how their tax dollars are paying for a firetruck to go to some other municipality/district.

Has it always been this way?

Forum Member

Yeah, the watch desk might not be great, but its the closest that I can get to whats happening back in MoCo.

And I absolutely hate how up here in OH you need to say..... give me XYZ's Engine etc.

And dont EVEN GET ME STARTED how the closest person dosnt go to a call just because of political boundaries.
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

makes good girls go bad

I would like to see more County involvement here. County wide dispatch, and closest station dispatching. County wide EMS protocalls as well.

I DO like the ability for different depts. Keeps the different Govts on their toes to pay better, and give better benes, or loose experienced FFs.
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Even though I see it all the time now, I am still not acustomed to to having ore than 8 or maybe 15 pairs of hands on any job, unless specifically called for. Fairfax County shares a simliar line of operations to what Good Chief Woods describes. A box alarm here gets more hands than I would ever know what to do with if I were "Back On The Hill".

Nearest stations get the call to the event that is near them. The thing I like most about that is that as the first arriving apparatus, you don't have to spend time calling for a 2nd or 3rd engine, its already on the way. Striking a second alarm will almost double the first alarm, again from the next nearest available stations. GOTTA LOVE IT! No need to run through your list of phone numbers: "Gee... Billy Bob is out of town, so his engine is out. Sam Jay and I are not on speaking terms right now....Hmmmm..."
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Thread Information