Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Default Balitmore Police Office Caught On Video

What Say You?

I caught some of this on the news this morning. There was no preamble identifying why this event was happening, so now I guess I "Know The Rest of The Story"

Officer's Altercation With Teen Skater Posted On YouTube

POSTED: 6:12 pm EST February 13, 2008
    UPDATED: 7:17 pm EST February 13, 2008

BALTIMORE -- A Baltimore police officer is in trouble after an altercation with a 14-year-old skateboarder is caught on video and posted to the Web site YouTube.

The teen and his friends were skateboarding last summer at the Inner Harbor in an area that's off limits. On the video, Officer Salvatore Rivieri appears to get upset about being called "dude" by the skateboarder. At one point, the officer said the boy needed to learn how to speak because "if you go around doing this kind of stuff, somebody's gonna kill you."

The incident was caught on camera, and since it was posted on YouTube Saturday, it has been viewed more than 300,000 times.

Once police saw it, they said, they suspended Rivieri without pay.

The teen's mother said she's furious.
    Copyright 2008 by nbc4.com.

In the video, the cop says something like "I'm not "Dude"." And then he takes the skateboard and walks off.

{firewall wont allow me to catch the YouTube link.}
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Forum Member

I saw it. And the LEO was a bit "over zealous", the kid(s) were honest and said he didn't hear the LEO. (And it was obvious because the kid was wearing an IPod.) Maybe the kid should have been a bit more respectful, but he wasn't disrespectful by any means. "Dude" is not that bad a name to be called. Normally, I do not go out of my way to defend skate boarders, because most are little XXXXXX.

Jokingly I say it was because the LEO was driving a "clown car" (one of those little electric ones), made him a bit upset?

Thanks Rescue, the report I saw was pretty sketchy at best, showing only what appeared from the kids view. To some extent I think I understand the officer's reaction - I have very little tolerance for skateboarders after having been nearly run over by enough of them, and actually seeing one kid smack down another, by hitting him in the head with one. Thats a long story.

But ya, if I had to ride around in those kiddy kars all day, I'd probably have a bad attitude by the end of the day too.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

Go to www.break.com and you will find the video in its entirety. The cops an @##$$!$ and should be fired. Don't get me wrong - I like cops but this guy has issues! He totaly loses it for no apparent reason. Was the kid breaking a rule? - Yes but talk to him and write him a ticket if you have to. Don't assault the kid who shows no threat what so ever!
    IAFF member, Love this job! Remember the oath!

Forum Member

Ok so he got carried away, but imagine the amount of crap he has to put up with everyday by little ****s like that, I know its no excuse but soemtimes thats what tips you over. We all know you can't get away with anything now as people tape it and upload it, I don't think the guy needs to be sacked over it, maybe they could counsel him and even give him some time off, it sounds to me that it was a last straw kind of situation.

How much sympathy for the kid now? Between Sht and syphylis in the Dictionary?

Teen In Police Video Says He Knows He Was Wrong
    Officer Caught On Tape Hitting Teen

POSTED: 7:14 am EST February 14, 2008
    UPDATED: 8:13 am EST February 14, 2008

BALTIMORE -- The 14-year-old whose run-in with an irate Baltimore police officer was posted on YouTube said he knew he was "100 percent wrong" for skateboarding in a prohibited area.

However, Eric Bush said the the officer overreacted and wouldn't have a job if it were up to him. The officer, Salvatore Rivieri, has been suspended pending an investigation.

Bush said he doesn't feel sorry for Rivieri at all.

The video shows Rivieri putting Bush in a headlock, pushing him to the ground and threatening to hit Bush, who repeatedly refers to the officer as as "dude" or "man."

The incident was caught on camera, and since it was posted on YouTube Saturday, it has been viewed more than 300,000 times.

Tony Santo, 15, taped the incident last summer.

Bush said he and his friends often have run-ins with police for skateboarding. Santo said he sometimes uses a camcorder to tape the interactions with police because they find humor in getting yelled at by officers.

Previous Stories:
    February 13, 2008: Officer's Altercation With Teen Skater Posted On YouTube

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press.
    Last edited by MalahatTwo7; 02-14-2008 at 09:14 AM.

Forum Member

See, my point exactly, this bloke is gonna be faced with losing his job because a bunch of toe rags wanted to have a laugh.

Preface:
    1) Haven't seen the video - YouTube & Break.com are blocked at work
    2) Not defending either the officer nor the skater - Based soly on the info given here I figure the incident really has enough fault involved for both parties.

3) This is NOT directly directly at Resq1scnd2none - this is more of a "Social Commentary" aka The grumpy old man speech.

Quote Originally Posted by Resq1scnd2none View Post
    Maybe the kid should have been a bit more respectful, but he wasn't disrespectful by any means. "Dude" is not that bad a name to be called.
    Maybe I'm just a leftover product from an earlier generation. I have always been told I am much "older" than my age.

Anyhow - While I agree that "Dude", "Bud", "Pal", "Guy" "Friend" or a plethora of other words are not bad names to be called, they are not names you use to address a figure of authority.

Maybe he should have been more respectful ?? If I were the kid in that scenario & My parents saw the video - the Officer would have probably gotten a thank you & I would have gotten an @$$ whoopin like no other.

there are Police officers in my County that are as much as 14 years my junior. I know these Officers on first name basis (a coule are also volunteer firefighters that I have taught in the past).

ALWAYS when I meet them in uniform thay are Officer so-n-so. I will never call one of these officers by first name unless we are in a private setting away from public view or they are out of uniform.

There's a sage old bit of wisdom that goes something like this:

"You don't have to like the person, but you have to respect the position [of authority]".

I don't care how bad of a day Offiver Rivieri may have been having, I'd be willing to bet if the kid as simply used a few "Yes Sir's" and "No Sir's" then this entire incident wouldn't have taken place.

O.K. - off my soap box now - Where did I leave my blood pressure medication ??
    Take Care - Stay Safe - God Bless
    Stephen
    FF/Paramedic
    Instructor

MembersZone Subscriber

What ever happened to the day when parents (where the root of the problem is) taught their kids to respect LEO's and other public servants? The way I was raised, the officer isn't "dude" or "man," he's "sir" or "officer."

I hate to imagine how long it'd be before I was able to sit again, let alone how long it'd be before I was allowed out of the house. I certainly wouldn't be the proud owner of a skateboard anymore.

Hell, what am I thinking, that's child abuse nowadays.

There is respect for police officers but this cop was way out of line I think. He shoves the kid to the ground for no reason. This looks like to me a case of police abuse caught on tape.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GgWrV8TcUc
    Hello. Fire dept.. You light'em, We fight'em!

"hard working, gear jamming, nail driving, "jake". "

IACOJ
    4-16-2010 "On the approach"

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firemonkey311 View Post
    There is respect for police officers but this cop was way out of line I think. He shoves the kid to the ground for no reason. This looks like to me a case of police abuse caught on tape.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GgWrV8TcUc
    Didn't the kid refuse to follow orders, dude? If I were the King I would order this kids parents to be beaten. Saw his mother on the news. Real good role model, defending law breaking and disrespect to law enforcement. If this were my kid and I saw this video...there wouldn't be any skateboarding (or anything else) for a long time. Whenever I hear ******bags screaming for some workingmans job over some BS, I just hope for some useless, petty BS to befall them and put their income and family at risk. Here's hoping it happens to you soon, you dumb monkey...
    Last edited by ChicagoFF; 02-14-2008 at 06:19 PM.
    I am a complacent liability to the fire service

There are two issues here...

First, we have a kid who knowingly broke the law and disrespected a police officer. I agree that I would have had my behind spanked if I acted that way. But, at the end of the day, it's left up to the parents. This kid isn't representing anything but his family and there are obviously no standards for that.

The second issue is a police officer who doesn't appear to know what courtesy is, who is entirely too quick to snap and who uses force that seems unnecessary for the situation. If the kid was breaking the law, the officer should have cited him or arrested him or done whatever the violation called for. Instead, he decided to disgrace his department by being a jack*****. When you put on the uniform, you need to do your best to put your personal issues aside and represent the department and the public that you serve.

a cop friend of mine from a urban/suburban department once told me that police officer can pretty much do whatever they want to a person, and have pretty much unlimited discretion in how they operate, provided no one from the press catches them operating inappropriately and video tapes it.

I guess with video camera cell phones, and digital cameras that record videos that can all appear on YouTube, there is another thing that police officers need to worry about when they push the limits of what they are permitted to do.
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

MembersZone Subscriber voyager9's Avatar

I think the best part of the video was the last 5 seconds...

"Are you recording? I better not end up on"....
    So you call this your free country
    Tell me why it costs so much to live
    -3dd

Forum Member

hmmm. Bad parenting. My parents would have whipped my butt, and then thanked the cop for setting me straight. Same thing would happen to my son once he gets a little older, 2 is still a little young I think.

The only person who disgraced that cop, his badge and his department was that cop. He has no business carrying a gun or a badge.

14 yr old kids are stupid. They do stupid things. Some are spoiled rotten brats who have little respect for authority. From what I saw in that video, tha cop went ballistic because a kid was skateboarding (yes illegally) with headphones on and couldn't hear him. And he frickin' snaps like that?

There are a lot of good cops in this world....and that tool was not one of them.

Discipline the cop and have the kids done for entrapment - after all, didn't they admit to skateboarding illegally to upset cops and video it for 'fun'?

Anyway. You know, I don't think I've ever called a cop 'sir' in my life. As a kid, we were ALWAYS very respectful (or we'd get a smack round the ear) even in the nasty area I grew up in. Nowadays it's 'mate'. Or when I'm pulled into a random breath testing station "g'day mate'. But then, that's seen as polite here

Now how can I word this? On a recent job that was deemed to be arson, we had to try and damp down the hot spots so that the thing wouldn't burn away before the Arson Squad got there in daylight; we had to be signed in and out of the area. The cop doing that job told us to yell out "Hey , can I go in now?" Is that polite enough? This guy is one of our favourite locals, friendly as, spiky hair, blond tips, visible piercings, you name it. He very clearly puts over the message of 'don't mess with me' though.

Forum Member

What also goes unanswered is how many times this officer has dealt with these same group of kids before?

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs down Well...............

You need to know the Streets of Baltimore to really have a handle on this type of thing........ N2DFire and Catch22 pretty well covered it for me, and Coz also raised a good point.

Here's A Personal Point about SOME, not all, Baltimore Kids.

One of the Fun things I do in life is spend a lot of time in our State Capitol when the Legislature is in session, as my wife and I represent several Fire Service groups as unpaid Lobbyists. Recently, I found myself in a position where I had to pass a group of unruly demonstrators who were yelling, waving signs, blocking the sidewalks, using loud profanity toward the Governor's Office, and more. The Police agencies that work these things are very, very good at it, and the Officers have a measure of patience that is beyond me, but, on this day, they were running short too. As I walked by, one of the demonstrators said, "Look at that S#$% The *****&#@$ Cops Boss is here." (I was in Dress Blues) Another said "He be a Fireman, see what it say on his jacket". The first one comes back with "I can't read dat S@#$".

THESE DEMONSTRATORS WERE 12 to 15 YEARS OLD AND WERE BROUGHT THERE TO HELP (They didn't do anything helpful that day) THE CAUSE OF GETTING MORE FUNDING FOR THE BALTIMORE CITY SCHOOL SYSTEM!!

One Lawmaker reportedly commented that the money would be better spent on Correctional facilities. The day ended with an adult and three kids charged with various infractions............

I Place 100% Blame for this situation with the Parents. Period. No Excuse.
    Last edited by hwoods; 02-15-2008 at 08:51 AM.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoFF View Post
    Here's hoping it happens to you soon, you dumb monkey...
    Personally, I think the cop was a bit over the top, but this quote is the funniest thing I have seen on here in a long time!!
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Thread Information