Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Default Vancouver Explosion Determined To Be Arson

Ya don't see this in a Western city very often.

Police confirm arson after explosion rocks Vancouver strip

Andy Ivens, Canwest News Service Published: Wednesday, February 13, 2008

VANCOUVER - An early-morning restaurant explosion that blew out several Vancouver storefronts, shattering windows down the block and sending debris onto the street, was the work of an arsonist using accelerant, Vancouver police confirmed Wednesday.

Nobody was injured in the massive blast inside a Taco Del Mar on West Broadway, the city's main east-west thoroughfare.

Within seconds, a man was seen emerging from the black smoke, then stopping to discard a burnt balaclava a half-block from the scene, according to one witness who heard the blast after midnight.

The smoke was starting to roll very quickly," said the witness, who provided reporters with only his first name, Craig. "This was a matter of seconds after (the explosion). This individual stopped just below my window.

"I thought, 'Why this individual at this hour would be not jogging but moving very quickly?' Through this smoke - it was almost eerie - this figure comes running."

Craig, who said he lives in a third-floor apartment less than a block away, said the man he saw took two articles of clothing out of his pocket and threw them in the bushes.

"Right away I thought this was not normal," said Craig, wearing a bright red beret. "The police told me it was a balaclava that was burnt and another piece of clothing."

The blast, which damaged a Starbucks next door among other businesses, was so loud it rattled neighbours and shocked witnesses.

"There was this giant boom," said Kathleen Bell, who saw the explosion.

"It was like someone pounding on your chest," she said, adding the building was completely destroyed. "At first I couldn't even tell that it was a Starbucks."

Across the street, windows were being replaced at the busy London Drugs outlet while gawkers stopped to examine the damage and take pictures on their cell phones.

A guest at a hotel a half-block away was rocked out of her sleep with the sound of the window in her room exploding inward, said hotel manager David Goguen.

The glass went flying "in and out of the room," said Goguen, who arrived on the scene about 3 a.m. and soon opened the hotel's restaurant as a courtesy to police and fire crews. {thumbs up there! }

He said the guest, who asked not to be identified, "was very startled, very shaken," but decided to spend another hour in her room before catching her flight.

"She said she heard a big explosion and saw a big fireball."

Stephen Hackett surveyed the damage and marvelled at the strength of the blast that caused so much damage.

"It's scary stuff," said Hackett, who works at the HSBC bank across the street.

"That's my bus stop, I go to that Starbucks every morning. It's pretty shocking to think I go there every day."

He said, "It looks like something in a movie or a war zone."

aivens@png.canwest.com

© Vancouver Province 2008

Photo credit:
    An explosion in the 600-block West Broadway early Wednesday morning destroyed several businesses. Police and fire officials are investigating the incident. PROVINCE STAFF PHOTO BY JASON PAYNE [PNG Merlin Archive]
    Jason Payne/The Province
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

The suspect is in the hospital. Took one cab from the scene and another cab to the hospital with 40% burns. Video proof from both cabs. They haven't arrested him yet because his health is their first concern, and he may not make it.
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

MembersZone Subscriber mcaldwell's Avatar

I sure hope this is the work of a one-off homegrown nut, and not the precurser to an Anti-Olympic campaign.

We seriously have enough work to do already.
    Last edited by mcaldwell; 02-14-2008 at 11:52 PM.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

Thread Information