MembersZone Subscriber

Question Is Buddy Breathing still NFPA compliant

Is the Buddy breathing option still NFPA compliant on current SCBA's?

MembersZone Subscriber

Deleted... double post.
    FTM-PTB-RFB
    IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by firewalker1105 View Post
    Is the Buddy breathing option still NFPA compliant on current SCBA's?
    I didn't think it ever has been, but we have it on all our packs and order it on all new ones. It's what's in our best interest if one of us runs out of air. Much better than having to pull a mask and share it if the situation arose.
    FTM-PTB-RFB
    IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

You can't copy/paste out of it - but you can read any NFPA standard directly from their web site.

You're looking for NFPA 1981: Standard on Open-Circuit Self-Contained Breathing Apparatus (SCBA) for Emergency Services

http://www.nfpa.org/aboutthecodes/Ab...sp?DocNum=1981

There are design & performance requirments for Rapid Intervention Crew / Company Universal Air Connection (RIC/UAC) but nothing regarding the use of a buddy breathing system that I saw.

Feel free to look it over yourself I went through pretty fast and could have missed something.
    Take Care - Stay Safe - God Bless
    Stephen
    FF/Paramedic
    Instructor

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by N2DFire View Post
    You can't copy/paste out of it - but you can read any NFPA standard directly from their web site.

You're looking for NFPA 1981: Standard on Open-Circuit Self-Contained Breathing Apparatus (SCBA) for Emergency Services

http://www.nfpa.org/aboutthecodes/Ab...sp?DocNum=1981

There are design & performance requirments for Rapid Intervention Crew / Company Universal Air Connection (RIC/UAC) but nothing regarding the use of a buddy breathing system that I saw.

Feel free to look it over yourself I went through pretty fast and could have missed something.
    I agree with fyrmnk I don't think NFPA has ever taken a position; it;s a last ditch effort when you or your partner are in trouble. I can only guess that there is nothing either way because requiring that feature it would condon an unsafe practice and saying it's against the rules would create an issue with every self rescue class in the country.

Could you imagine if buddy breathing was an NFPA requirement under SCBA and therefore we had to teach it to newbie before they've mastered SCBA basics.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by fyrmnk View Post
    I didn't think it ever has been, but we have it on all our packs and order it on all new ones. It's what's in our best interest if one of us runs out of air. Much better than having to pull a mask and share it if the situation arose.
    Absolutley. NFPA or not, they both have thier place and time (BB or RIC), and IMO all packs should have both. In a worst-case I would rather have a relatively safe and immediate option to help my buddy while waiting for help or that backup bottle.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by efd1524 View Post
    Could you imagine if buddy breathing was an NFPA requirement under SCBA and therefore we had to teach it to newbie before they've mastered SCBA basics.
    Va Beach has been teaching it as part of their recruit academy for many years now. Hell they were doing it before I went through their class.
    Co 11
    Virginia Beach FD

Amateurs practice until they get it right; professionals practice until they cannot get it wrong. Which one are you?

'The fire went out and nobody got hurt' is a poor excuse for a fireground critique.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Fairfax Co FRD teaches the use of the EBBS hook up for buddy breathing. Works pretty good too, and I agree with Marty: much better to self-help you and your partner rather than wait for something that might not make it to you in time.

Here is what the basic component looks like, minus the hoses.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Forum Member

You cant expect a bunch of cowards and engineers to possibly come up with something they have never experienced or been exposed to.

Good thing's happening

is it wrong to say who cares if it is still NFPA compliant if it is going to save your life ?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by eaglesrule1024 View Post
    is it wrong to say who cares if it is still NFPA compliant if it is going to save your life ?
    If anyone ever needs the ability to buddy breathe I doubt they will care about NFPA guidelines.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyirons2 View Post
    You cant expect a bunch of cowards and engineers to possibly come up with something they have never experienced or been exposed to.
    This has to go in the firehouse.com top ten ignorant statements of all time!

FYI.. just about everything we use on "the job", from the rigs we ride and drive to the fire with, the nozzles we use, to the HT''s we use communicate on the fireground with, the materials that our turnouts are made from and the SCBA that we use were designed by .. guess who?

An engineer or engineering team.

Got fire alarm systems and sprinklers in any of the buildings you respond to?

Do you go go to fires on motorized fire appartus?

Use ladders?

Wear turnouts?

etc. etc. etc.?

The standards they are built to conform with were formulated by the "cowards" you hold disdain for.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

You misunderstood it. How could a group of idiots that say what kind of everything we need possibly know about saving another brother's *****? They dont. If you agree, you probably think Ford Mustang's are fast or good looking :-) And if you think bunker gear is functional if you are doing anything but standing around, you need to think about that one! The engineers on the NFPA committee and the engineers in the real world are not the same. NFPA Engineers are swayed by politics and members on the board. If you dont believe it ask someone who is trying to get a product approved that is better than one already in place and widely accepted (and a member of the committee) so basically anything that competes with morning pride.
    Last edited by jonnyirons2; 02-16-2008 at 11:19 AM.

Forum Member

You misunderstood it. How could a group of idiots that say what kind of everything we need possibly know about saving another brother's *****? They dont. If you agree, you probably think Ford Mustang's are fast or good looking :-)
    As the owner ogf 2006 Mustang GT.. yes..

And if you think bunker gear is functional if you are doing anything but standing around, you need to think about that one!
    While I am a deputy and do more "standing around" on a fireground... I do work in the burn building at the Fire Academy, where i am bunkered out most of the time.

The engineers on the NFPA committee and the engineers in the real world are not the same. NFPA Engineers are swayed by politics and members on the board. If you dont believe it ask someone who is trying to get a product approved that is better than one already in place and widely accepted (and a member of the committee) so basically anything that competes with morning pride.
    I wear Janesville with Morning Pride "tactical tupperware" at the MFA and Globe Xtreme and Cairns leather at the MFD. If someone in the FDNY upper echelon is in bed with Morning Pride for your turnouts, that's a internal political problem. Engineers still engineeer... dontcha know!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

I wear globe where I volunteer, its far lighter and less restrictive. As for an engineering going in to bunker gear, its not by guys that wear it, thats for sure! Everything we use is engineered to meet a specification then adapted to fit us. Our overly litigious society prevents anything from making sense, I mean cmon, ford is actually mass producing the Edge Model! :-)

Forum Member

I mean cmon, ford is actually mass producing the Edge Model! :-)
    Yup... got one of those too....
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

I saw your photobucket thats why I brought it up :-) We need a few firemen on those committee's so it gets realistically implemented. Morning pride is like microsoft, in many cases you have no choice but to choose them.
    Last edited by jonnyirons2; 02-16-2008 at 05:31 PM.

Let's talk fire trucks!

Morning pride is like microsoft, in many cases you have no choice but to choose them.
    After wearing MP and then GXtreme, we chose the Globe hands-down.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

Try and find a vendor that give you 22k sets of gear with minimal turn around time. Now you see the difference. I wish I could ditch my MP garbage.

Let's talk fire trucks!

Point taken.

At work, we buy 50-75 sets of Securitex a year. So far, I think we're the only satisfied US customer they have.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

I saw your photobucket thats why I brought it up :-) We need a few firemen on those committee's so it gets realistically implemented. Morning pride is like microsoft, in many cases you have no choice but to choose them.

NFPA does ask for our input, as George Wendt has so often mentioned.

We tend to close the firehouse doors and accuse, ascribe, attack, bemoan, bewail, bitch, carp, cavil, charge, contravene, criticize, defy, demur, denounce, deplore, deprecate, differ, disagree, disapprove, dissent, expostulate, find fault, fret, fuss, gainsay, grieve, gripe, groan, grouse, growl, grumble, impute, indict, lament, lay, look askance, moan, nag, object, oppose, **** off about, protest, refute, remonstrate, repine, reproach, snivel, sound off, wail, whimper, whine, yammer about NFPA... and when we get what we don't want, we accuse, ascribe, attack, bemoan, bewail, bitch, carp, cavil, charge, contravene, criticize, defy, demur, denounce, deplore, deprecate, differ, disagree, disapprove, dissent, expostulate, find fault, fret, fuss, gainsay, grieve, gripe, groan, grouse, growl, grumble, impute, indict, lament, lay, look askance, moan, nag, object, oppose, **** off about, protest, refute, remonstrate, repine, reproach, snivel, sound off, wail, whimper, whine, yammer about what was forced down out throats.

We as firefighters can either sit back and take it, or step up and make it!
    Last edited by CaptainGonzo; 02-16-2008 at 06:26 PM.
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Um, where on the NFPA site does it ask for our input? Enlighten us. Ill be more than happy to volunteer my time to help.

Forum Member

George sits on a technical committee for NFPA. I'm sure he can direct all of us to the appropriate people.
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

George does a valuable service for the NFPA in regards to Arson Standards. But look at the rest of the committees, last time I checked Plano Tx wasnt doing half of what Camden, Detroit, Boston, NYC, any place that goes to fire. Its a joke that not one single place that does work is on any committee.

http://www.nfpa.org/assets/files/PDF...-A2003-ROC.pdf

Let's talk fire trucks!

But look at the rest of the committees, last time I checked Plano Tx wasnt doing half of what Camden, Detroit, Boston, NYC, any place that goes to fire. Its a joke that not one single place that does work is on any committee.
    However, there are openings on these NFPA committees. Anyone's eligible to apply for any committee under several different categories. Here's the application.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Thread Information