Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Campus Shooting

Default Campus Shooting

There has been a campus shooting at Northern Illinois University in DeKalb. What is wrong with people?
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

When is this madness going to stop?

http://www.daily-chronicle.com/artic...ews/news01.txt
    SFPD Member MABAS Division 47
    Told my wife I'm at work. Told my boss I'm sick. I'm really at the fire station.
    I.A.C.O.J.

Forum Member

It's unbelievable, I know of numerous people who go to school there...still waiting on word from them that everything is alright. Never thought something like this would hit so close to home...

At least two people are reported down in DuSable Hall, and one person was shot in the head, according to eyewitness reports. It could not be confirmed if it was from a gunshot.
    If not a gunshot, shot with what?

With every day that passes, I'm glad I took my Mass Communications degree and became a firefighter.

Forum Member

Last I heard was at least 15 "wounded" with "four to five head wounds" - shooter dead.
    I am a complacent liability to the fire service

What the hell is wrong with people. Unbelievable
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Forum Member

Did anyone respond to this call and have more info. I heard they called for a MABAS Box to the 5th Alarm right away. Looks like the response was quick and well organized.

MembersZone Subscriber KevinFFVFD's Avatar

All the more reason why I take online college classes :-). It is sad though, almost makes you scared to walk down the streets these days.

I'm in Rockford, local news is now saying five fatalities. Not sure if this includes the shooter.

Reports are also claiming now that the shooter wasn't even an NIU student. What I wonder is why he chose a campus? Could have been a shopping mall, large office complex, etc.
    "Share your knowledge - it's a way to achieve immortality." - Stolen from Chase Sargent's Buddy to Boss program

Quote Originally Posted by npfd801 View Post
    I'm in Rockford, local news is now saying five fatalities. Not sure if this includes the shooter.

Reports are also claiming now that the shooter wasn't even an NIU student. What I wonder is why he chose a campus? Could have been a shopping mall, large office complex, etc.
    Now six with shooter.
    "Share your knowledge - it's a way to achieve immortality." - Stolen from Chase Sargent's Buddy to Boss program

Quote Originally Posted by bkmcse View Post
    Did anyone respond to this call and have more info. I heard they called for a MABAS Box to the 5th Alarm right away. Looks like the response was quick and well organized.
    I know of 2 that I saw on the news, but i will let them identify themselves.......
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

They went beyond the 5th level box and got into interdivisional.

They also activated ILEAS for police.

6 dead including the guman. 15 others injured.
    Someone once told me that time is a predator that stalks us all our lives. But maybe time is also a companion who goes with us on our journey, and reminds us to cherish the moments of our lives because they will never come again.

MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

I caught a part of this on the news last night, but every station I turned to, all I got was the last 5 seconds of each broadcast. And double because of the event, even without the details. Here is what the local news had to say this morning.

7th Student Dies In Campus Shooting
    Gunman Shoots 21 People Before Killing Himself, Authorities Say

UPDATED: 8:12 am EST February 15, 2008

The death of another student in Illinois raises to seven the number of students killed in the latest campus shooting.

Six of the students killed were in a crowded hall for a science lecture at Northern Illinois University when a gunman walked onto the stage and opened fire. At least 15 other students were wounded before the attacker turned one of his guns on himself and took his own life.

Police have yet to uncover a motive. According to a release on the school's Web site, the shooter was an NIU graduate student in sociology in the spring of 2007, but was not currently enrolled. DeKalb police said they know the identity of the shooter, but they are not releasing his name.

University President John G. Peters said officials believe the shooter had no criminal record and had not been in contact with police prior to the shooting.

The Chicago Tribune reported that the shooter has been tentatively identified as a 27-year-old graduate student in social work at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.

The NIU campus in DeKalb, about 60 miles west of Chicago, is closed Friday.

The Chicago Tribune reported that the DeKalb County Coroner's Office, at the same time it announced the seventh victim Friday morning, identified four of the victims: Daniel Parmenter, 20, of Westchester, Ill.; Catalina Garcia, 20, of Cicero, Ill.; Ryanne Mace, 19, of Carpentersville, Ill.; and Julianna Gehant, 32, of Meridan, Ill.

Peters said four people died at the scene, including the gunman, and two others died later at a local hospital. He said the victims were four female students and two male students. All of those shot were students, Peters said, including a graduate teaching assistant who was the class instructor.

The shooter, armed with a shotgun, a Glock pistol and another, small-caliber pistol, opened fire around 3 p.m. in geography class inside an auditorium in Cole Hall. Police said the shooter did not fire all the ammunition he possessed, the spokesman said. One of the handguns had not been located Thursday evening, but authorities said they assumed it would be found at the scene.

Tom Ahern, an agent with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, said agents did not know the make or models of the guns, but they would be analyzed on a high-priority basis.

The gunman shot himself on the stage after a rampage that lasted just a few minutes and sent terrified students screaming, crying and running for the doors.

Journalism major Desiree Smith was at the back of the hall when the gunman opened fire. She said she dropped to the floor and kept telling herself, "Oh God, he's going to shoot me. Oh God, I'm dead."

Authorities don't know if the gunman targeted specific people or just shot at random.

Police said when the shooting was reported, officers were at the scene in "less than two minutes."

The FBI is processing the crime scene, campus officials said, and the investigation is being aided by the Illinois State Police, the ATF, the State Crisis Management Team, the city of DeKalb police, city of Sycamore police, DeKalb County Sheriff's Department, the Ben Gordon Center and the DeKalb, Sycamore and Cortland fire departments, as well as FEMA.

A spokeswoman for Gov. Rod Blagojevich said the governor would ensure that state agencies provide emergency assistance for authorities in DeKalb County.

Victims Mourned

More than 100 students cried and hugged overnight as they held a candlelight vigil outside a fraternity house to mourn a sophomore who was among those killed.

"Our hearts and prayers go out to the victims and their families," Peters said Thursday night. "We thank the community for the outpouring of sympathy during this terrible time of tragedy."

Peters urged students to remain calm and seek counseling.

"We've asked them to reach out to each other during this difficult time, and they've done that, and I'm proud of them."

The NIU Department of Public Safety is asking that any individuals who witnessed the Feb. 14 shooting, or who believe they have any information related to the shooting, call the University Tip Line at 815-753-TIPS. Police will return calls as soon as possible.

Distributed by Internet Broadcasting Systems, Inc. The Associated Press
    contributed to this report.

Best wishes to those who attended this event, and heartfelt prayers to the families for their loss.

I echo the question: What is wrong with people that they should feel the need to do such things?

Forum Member

I'm wondering how it is that all the gun control laws that Illinois has didn't stop this.If he was on medication,why did he stop taking it and why didn't he have a loved one notice the stoppage and try to get him to restart his meds?
    BTW,the shooter at Mitchell High the other day here in Memphis is being charged as an adult,which I think is the correct action.
    A 17 year old just bringing an unloaded gun to school,sure,charge him as a juvenile.For all we know,he was going hunting this weekend and was planning to leave as soon as the bell rang.
    When a 17 year old brings a loaded gun to school after having gang related arguments with someone and shoots that someone,they should be held,charged and tried as an adult.
    If 17 is old enough to be trusted with a 3,000 lb deadly weapon(you've never heard of people deliberately running down another?how sheltered),they are old enough to know that pointing a loaded gun at another person can result in serious injury and/or death.

Gun laws don't stop criminals from being criminals, they just make it harder for law abiding citizens.

The 7 death toll was a error, the death toll remains at 6 including the gunman.
    Someone once told me that time is a predator that stalks us all our lives. But maybe time is also a companion who goes with us on our journey, and reminds us to cherish the moments of our lives because they will never come again.

Forum Member

Default Shooting

My niece was in class yesterday in a nearby classroom building, she is ready to graduate in May and as luck would have it only has classes on Tues/Thurs. pm's. I talked to her this AM, she said they were very quickly secured in classrooms, lights off, doors locked. They were told to call parents or somebody to let them now they were OK after things settled, her problem was call dropped due to tower congestion while she was talking to my sister in law which scared my sister in law. She told me shortly after they locked down an officer stopped in room to let them know he was in their building.

I know a couple of the responders, they said the whole thing was surreal and this came from some vets. I have heard nothing but good things about the response, quite simply in this time frame there is nothing anybody could have done, I'm sure as the story comes out we'll learn more.

And I have to credit the U President and Chief of U Police, I thought they handled media well considering all the stupid questions and comments, I felt sorry for them.

I work for a college system in a nearby state now, our security guy is having a rough day but he's handling it well.

I'm sure alot of gun law issues will come up, I'm more concered with our reporting laws and the need for revision. I think its time campus security is notified if a health professional feels somebody could commit an act like this on a campus or see's a red flag. It is not a sure fire cure, but at some point it may prevent another tragedy.

Forum Member

I happened to be at Sycamore Fire doing a SCBA demo at the time of the shooting and here are the departments that I heard respond. I am not sure what alarm levels brought what, but here is what I remember:

DeKalb, Sycamore, Genoa-Kingston Fire, G-K Rescue, Kirkland, Rochelle, Ogle-Lee, Shabbona, Malta, Sugar Grove, Burlington, Cortland, Waterman, Maple Park, Hampshire, Lifeline Helicopter (2 others, at least dispatched)

I am sure their were more, but these are the ones I remember. My hat is off to DeKalb Fire, NIU Police, DeKalb Police and any other agency that assisted in the initial mitigation of the incident. Everything sounded like it went pretty smoothly considering all of the victims involved.

Stay safe,

rfd599
    www.IllinoisFireStore.com

Forum Member

Default Thanks Folks

Quote Originally Posted by rfd599 View Post
    My hat is off to DeKalb Fire, NIU Police, DeKalb Police and any other agency that assisted in the initial mitigation of the incident. Everything sounded like it went pretty smoothly considering all of the victims involved.
    Having lived in the area I can attest you have named some very outstanding departments in northern Illinois. The fact that they have done interagency training TOGETHER, had a plan, and make it work smoothly says a great deal. While not everybody notices, just watching medic rigs enter and exit in a very organized manner shows outstanding incident management. It's also nice to see that people obviously took critical or large scale ICS and paid attention.

Despite what a few outsiders or some of the media want to insinuate when they don't know how things are done, I want to say that all involved did an outstanding job and made everybody in public safety proud. The CID and crtitque is yet to come, but my sincerest admiration to all involved.

Forum Member

After the fact,it irks me when news reports mention the death toll and include the shooter(s) in the total like they were victims as well.
    No,I prefer to only count the innocents that had their lives unreasonably shortened.The guy that pull the trigger can account for himself.

Quote Originally Posted by MrJim911 View Post
    Gun laws don't stop criminals from being criminals, they just make it harder for law abiding citizens.

The 7 death toll was a error, the death toll remains at 6 including the gunman.

Wow, strict firearm laws and "gun-free" zones sure are doing the trick.

You can ban firearms all you want, but you can't ban Crazy.

Thread Information