Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience

View Poll Results: Should this be a "rule"?

Voters
110. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, fair is fair

94 85.45%
  • No, let the heartless jags run off at the mouth with no chance to judge them

16 14.55%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Forum Member

Default New Forum Rule Proposal

After reading many threads on this site about people making mistakes (the most recent about the Baltimore cop and the punk) I have noticed a trend. Everytime one of these videos comes up there is a group that is screaming for someone to be fired. Not reprimanded. Not disciplined. Not suspended. Fired. As in out of work and no food for the family and children. This kind of vulturous (is that even a word?) attitude has always bothered me.. If I made a mistake I would want a little slack and understanding at least from the fire people, and also to some extent from the law side. That is seldom given here. A bad day caught on tape? Fire 'em! Video of a bad decision in the heat of the moment? Fire 'em! Screw their families!

In light of this trend I would like to propose a new "rule" (obviously this would be an honor system enforcement) - If you call for someone to loose their job, pension, healthcare, and put their family in jeopardy - then you have to submit a video of your department at your last few fires and let us judge your actions (or lack thereof) and decide if your incompetant ***** needs to be fired. It would only be fair, get off your moral highground and be judged as you are so quick to judge others - you pack of jackels...
    Last edited by ChicagoFF; 02-15-2008 at 03:47 PM.
    I am a complacent liability to the fire service

MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Chicago, you and I are quite often at odds regarding opinon and sometimes even tactics and strategy, however in this case, I am in 100% agreement with you, and pretty much for the same reasons you state.

The only time that I might recommend/support the absolute dismissal of a person for actions is if he/she had acted with a complete and total disregard for safety, and directly endangered or caused direct physical harm due to those actions or in some cases inaction.

In short, I like your recommendation.

Chicago, yes I too would have to agree with you on this one. However, when you find videos like this. It is kind of hard not to feel as though people should not be given a second chance. Don't get me wrong. I like a beer (high gravity is my choice) and a good time. However, it is crap like this that gives all firefighters (career or volunteer) a bad rap.

When it comes to dricking the dawg on a fire scene, unless you get the whole story and six sides of a fire, you should just STFU. There are just too many people who try to make themselves look better by making others appear worse.
    Last edited by FDAIC485; 02-15-2008 at 02:28 PM.
    I believe them bones are me. Some say we are born into the grave. I feel so alone, gonna end up a big ol' pile a them bones

-J. Cantrell

Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Quote Originally Posted by FDAIC485 View Post
    However, when you find videos like this. It is kind of hard not to feel as though people should not be given a second chance. Don't get me wrong. I like a beer (high gravity is my choice) and a good time. However, it is crap like this that gives all firefighters (career or volunteer) a bad rap.
    I may be way off base here, but when I first saw that video (last week?) my first impression was that it looked like some Jakes just back from saying goodbye to one of their own (or a celebration of some sort, perhaps a parade or firefighter wedding?) as they are not going anywhere, just sitting in the truck in the parking lot. The uniforms, accents and flowers (?) in their lapels, smoking & drinking beer, truck isn't moving.

Otherwise, I would agree with your assessment. If I recall, the majority of the replies on that thread were of the same ilk.

As to ChiFF's topic .... HELL YEAH!
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

OK I voted just for kicks ... so who was the one "NO" vote???
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

MembersZone Subscriber

Sounds great....but as we've seen...the people that make the statements that cause the need for this rule are precisely the same people who would refuse to follow such a rule...clear as mud right?

FTM-PTB

Forum Member

I think I just herd a pin drop

Quote Originally Posted by FFFRED View Post
    Sounds great....but as we've seen...the people that make the statements that cause the need for this rule are precisely the same people who would refuse to follow such a rule...clear as mud right?

FTM-PTB
    Why is my head hurting really bad right now?
    I believe them bones are me. Some say we are born into the grave. I feel so alone, gonna end up a big ol' pile a them bones

-J. Cantrell

Gone.

Those who cry wolf are all Hippies. End of story.

MembersZone Subscriber Engine58's Avatar

I'm usually pretty quiet on the forums and chime in from time to time...so this is one of the moments I'll chime in! We watched the video of the Baltimore cop yesterday at work and applauded what he did. Well except the whole knocking the kid to the ground but still. He was only speaking the truth...Should he of been fired? Absolutely not! I could see firing someone for something absolutely outrageous but to ruin a guys whole career/life for what happened on that video. Ridiculous!
    Andrew
    Firefighter/EMT
    New Jersey

I voted no - -

... but only to throw off the poll results. I do the same thing when pollsters call me at home. It's important to keep that margin of error legit.

Those that will run off at the mouth will do so no matter what. They will also look at what others do as being the screwed up bunch. That is just a sad fact of life, especially here.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RspctFrmCalgary View Post
    ... so who was the one "NO" vote???

Perhaps someone from Louisiana?
    The thoughts and opinions posted here are mine and mine alone and do not reflect the thoughts and or views of city or dept affiliation.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jasper45 View Post
    I voted no - -
    Damn cheeseheads - always stirring the pot!
    I am a complacent liability to the fire service

Forum Member

Jasper, you voting No does nothing to the margin of error. The margin of error is a number extrapolated from the amount of people polled and the projected amount of total voters. You voting NO just adds to the NO vote, does nothing to the margin of error. If you were to say you had 4 voting members in your household and only had 2 you would add to it. So basically youre just being as the Ghetto street trash calls it ignaint.

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyirons2 View Post
    So basically youre just being as the Ghetto street trash calls it ignaint.

I guess you would know what "ignaint" is, as you seem to be the master.

You missed the part where I was joking around, obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoFF View Post
    Damn cheeseheads - always stirring the pot!

Maybe by us cheeseheads stirring the pot, it will ****** you Illinoiseyans off and keep you on your side of the line.

but, I'll still vote yes for your poll.

This hole thing smells of poop!

I voted with the mob BTW.
    IAFF

This thing is going south pretty quick.

I am withholding my vote until all the facts are in......Wait a minute, that is why we are voting in the first place!! I vote YES!!!!
    Just someone trying to help! (And by the way....Thanks for YOUR help!)

Aggressive does not have to equal stupid.

** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

I'm not really a big fan of consequences.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FDAIC485 View Post
    Chicago, yes I too would have to agree with you on this one. However, when you find videos like this.
    the only thiing they should be punished for is filming it. That's just stupid. They weren't driving and clearly weren't on duty. They also didn't appear to be out in public. On top of that, they didn't appear drunk. Sure they were acting goofy, but how many men do you know that act way dumber than that stone sober?

Thread Information