Forum Member

Default History of the LA-style Fire Helmet

Don't get me wrong, I will not have anything other than a "traditional" protecting my noggin. However, can anyone tell me why and how the LA-style helmet came about?
    I believe them bones are me. Some say we are born into the grave. I feel so alone, gonna end up a big ol' pile a them bones

-J. Cantrell

MembersZone Subscriber

I believe it was created by a group of west coast fire"persons" who felt that they needed to show up those East Coast bullies who's time and battle tested helmet wasn't "progressive" enough.

They had a show about nursing outside the hospital comming on TV soon and needed something to catch everyones eyes (other than Julie London's chest).

The overall goal was to develop something so queer that not even Elton John or Liberace would wear it in public!

Today most west coast fire"persons" are most often mistaken for amature cave explorers or DOT workers....or as so nicely put by ChicagoFF a few weeks ago...who let "Bob the Builder near the fire building?"

And that is the abridged history of the tactical tupperwear.

FTM-PTB

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFFRED View Post
    I believe it was created by a group of west coast fire"persons" who felt that they needed to show up those East Coast bullies who's time and battle tested helmet wasn't "progressive" enough.

They had a show about nursing outside the hospital comming on TV soon and needed something to catch everyones eyes (other than Julie London's chest).

The overall goal was to develop something so queer that not even Elton John or Liberace would wear it in public!

Today most west coast fire"persons" are most often mistaken for amature cave explorers or DOT workers....or as so nicely put by ChicagoFF a few weeks ago...who let "Bob the Builder near the fire building?"

FTM-PTB
    This really wasn't the intended result. However, LOL and ROFL!!!!!

Is there anyway we could put on a LA vs. FDNY Truck Company roof-work competition? I think it would be awesome.
    I believe them bones are me. Some say we are born into the grave. I feel so alone, gonna end up a big ol' pile a them bones

-J. Cantrell

Come on now, Cali guys are too interested in wildland stuff than actual fires. Sheesh.

MembersZone Subscriber

How can you not like this helmet?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Forum Member

FFFRED- This is the story I heard.....

One night, while enjoying their dinner of Goat Cheese/Tofu Salad and Seaweed/Kelp Soup, someone suddenly had the bright idea to place one of the bowls on their head......And the rest is history!
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFFRED View Post

FTM-PTB
    There you have it, ladies and gentlemen. The actual, documented history of the L.A. style construction...Err, I mean salad...Uh, rather motorcycle-looking, it's no wonder it didn't catch on anywhere else, I wouldn't be caught dead wearing it, "fireperson" helmet.
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    http://www.tfdfire.com/
    "Fir na tine"

Forum Member

There are going to be alot of tears and hurt feelings before this is over...
    I am a complacent liability to the fire service

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    FFFRED- This is the story I heard.....

One night, while enjoying their dinner of Goat Cheese/Tofu Salad and Seaweed/Kelp Soup, someone suddenly had the bright idea to place one of the bowls on their head......And the rest is history!
    Oh yes... I believe Timothy Leary was there.

Forum Member

Talking Must have been something they smoked.

Being from Mexifornia originally, the helmet you speak of is made by Phenix Fire Helmets. Here is a link to their site that has a little history behind it http://phenixfirehelmets.com/. God, but they are ugly. I really like my traditional leather.
    Craig Walker

Union Strong...Union Proud

An Irishman is the only person in the world who would walk over 12 naked women to get to a bottle of Stout.

Forum Member

The original LAFD was run by a construction company.

Forum Member

Thumbs up

Some firefighters created it when they were worried more about function than fashion.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoFF View Post
    There are going to be alot of tears and hurt feelings before this is over...

Yes, tears of laughter! These threads are keeping me on the sane side of insanity. (the other one is the Berzerkley thread!). Thanks guys. .
    Last edited by superchef; 02-16-2008 at 02:23 PM.

Permanently Removed

*deep breath*

This is really no "LA style helmet". They are just seen in the media and in FH magazine so often wearing a particular make/model. Just like there is no "New York style gun". (Glock)

The quick story I got was two Firefighters thought of the design, had it made up at a fiberglass shop and they then offered it FOR FREE to MSA. MSA turned them down, they went into production themselves and are both millionaires today.

I got this short story from both of those two Firefighters myself. More info. at www.phenixfirehelmets.com
    Last edited by CALFFBOU; 02-15-2008 at 08:09 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CALFFBOU View Post
    *deep breath*

This is really no "LA style helmet". They are just seen in the media and in FH magazine so often wearing a particular make/model. Just like there is no "New York style gun". (Glock)

The quick story I got was two Firefighters thought of the design, had it made up at a fiberglass shop and they then offered it FOR FREE to MSA. MSA turned them down, they went into production themselves and are both millionaires today.

I got this short story from both of those two Firefighters myself. More info. at www.phenixfirehelmets.com
    Thanks, Bou! Sounds good to me. Now let the Rotary Saw vs. Chainsaw or radiostrap vs. axe-sheath wars begin LOL!

-J. Cantrell

Permanently Removed

Quote Originally Posted by FDAIC485 View Post
    Thanks, Bou! Sounds good to me. Now let the Rotary Saw vs. Chainsaw or radiostrap vs. axe-sheath wars begin LOL!

Copy.

Forum Member

Bou, I may have to break down and send you a pic...... Although not nearly as good as the last ones I sent you.......
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

Permanently Removed

Quote Originally Posted by firenresq77 View Post
    Bou, I may have to break down and send you a pic...... Although not nearly as good as the last ones I sent you.......
    Please do.

Forum Member

We wear the same helmet as LAFD and LACoFD. I can assure all on these boards none of our departments have ever had a shortage of applicants because of our helmets.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Quote Originally Posted by firenresq77 View Post
    *Raises her eyebrows*
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BKDRAFT View Post
    Some firefighters created it when they were worried more about function than fashion.

do they actually function that much better than leathers or traditional style helmets?

MembersZone Subscriber

if I remember correctly... Dallas Texas used the same looking helmets for a long long time. Then, they wisened up and discarded them.

I mean... its worse than eating hot sauce from New York. You got Yankee Hot Sauce and Hippie fire helmets....

whats the world coming too
    The Box. You opened it. We Came...

"You'll take my life but I'll take your's too. You'll fire musket but I'll run you through. So when your waiting for the next attack, you'll better understand there's no turn back."

Forum Member

Ugly, ugly helmets. I was the ONLY guy in my academy class that was issued one, while everyone else got the traditionals. Anyways, I was always told that the salad bowl existed as it was lighter. (We compared one day in class, and mine was equal weight to a traditional)....
    Probationary Firefighter

FF/EMT-B
    Paramedic in training..

Gone.

I think it came from the fact that the California Fire Departments were fighting a huge wildland fire many years ago, and they saw like 1,000 Mexicans running out of the forests with Tortilla bowls on their heads trying to keep the ashes out of their hair and they got this wonderful idea to make a helmet out of plastic that was super lightweight.

MembersZone Subscriber

i'll go with that story
    The Box. You opened it. We Came...

"You'll take my life but I'll take your's too. You'll fire musket but I'll run you through. So when your waiting for the next attack, you'll better understand there's no turn back."

Thread Information