Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rescue Saw

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Rescue Saw

Ok so I did a search for just the word "Saw" and it found nothing if I'm missing something just point me in the right direction thanks.

If I'm not then here is my question. I have been give the task of coming up with a "Rescue Saw" for our department. The big uses it needs to fill are roof ventilation, cutting up semi-trailers, etc. I had the opportunity to use a circular saw from a neighboring department that had a 14" 30 set up and it was so much nicer than the chain saws we have.

We have a rescue chain saw from Stilh that works well for us, and a few saws that we designed for cutting trees that we us for ventilation (they don't really work well for that), we also have a Demo saw from Stilh, with abrasive blades. We would like to get a circular "demo saw" type for our truck. Any thoughts or ideas would be great thanks.

Forum Member

Partner makes a great circular rescue saw. We use the warthog blade for vent work. Ventmaster is another company I have heard of that makes venting saws.

We used Stihl Circular Saws for years. They were heavy beasts. Probably not true of new ones

Most of our vent work is with chainsaws though. Of course we don't use standard chainsaws though. They have a Carbide Bullet Style chain instead of a standard chainsaw chain. Guides for depth of cut. Most of our guys grew up with chainsaws. Lightweight chainsaw that cuts shingles and nails, makes them happy.

Cutter's Edge is the brand we use. I think Ventmaster makes a similar saw.

Forum Member

Depends on how much money you have. Cutter's edge is a lot of money. Partner saw's work, if they didnt we would not have them in every truck co in NYC. and Don, look into a vanity call. kd7FDS you remember what fds is LOL

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyirons2 View Post
    Depends on how much money you have. Cutter's edge is a lot of money. Partner saw's work, if they didnt we would not have them in every truck co in NYC. and Don, look into a vanity call. kd7FDS you remember what fds is LOL
    Sorry, KD7FDS is my Ham Radio Call sign. Had it about 15 years, didn't even thing about the FDS part.

x2 on the warthog blade. That sumbitch will tear through anything.
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for the info guys... Seems like going with the Partner is the way to go. That worthog blade looks nice too, but the price might be a little on the high side, have to see what shakes out. Thanks again was a big help.

Forum Member

Another vote for the partner with a warthog blade we have used them in Philly for years. Recent switch to Husquvarna (SP?) but I just heard that maybe they bought out partner. Not sure. We also run with the cutters edge with the bullet chain.
    Just another one of the 99%ers looking up.

MembersZone Subscriber

Philly alludes to a point that is more important...more than one saw. Changing blades on the scene is the last thing I want to do. Having multiple saws ready IMMEDIATELY is the key. A great "do all" blade may have strengths in one area and take too long in a cut for another type of material.

MembersZone Subscriber mcaldwell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PFDTruck18 View Post
    Another vote for the partner with a warthog blade we have used them in Philly for years. Recent switch to Husquvarna (SP?) but I just heard that maybe they bought out partner. Not sure. We also run with the cutters edge with the bullet chain.

Yes, Husky Bought Partner.

Not a bad combo IMO. Husky has made solid motors for years, and Partner has produced the best/lightest/most functional saw chassis for FF'ing.

I think they should do well together.

http://www.partner-industrial.com/
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

Timely of you guys to bring this up now.We're looking to add TWO saws to our existing complement for out new Ladder(due 3/09).We already own a Stihl TS550 circular,CE,and a Jonsered 2040 turbo. We're looking for another wheel saw and a vent saw.One of the circulars will be set up with a diamond/abrasive wheel and one with a Warthog.Vent saws will be just that.I agree that a properly equipped Truck will have more than one saw. T.C.

Thread Information