Forum Member

Default rescue on video,Chicago.

a dramatic rescue,caught on video ,in Chicago:

http://www.firefighterspot.com/2008/...-video-in.html

police men and firefighters did a great job.it could have been worse for the people trapped.
    "sauver ou périr"

"courage et dévouement"

2 french mottoes in french fire service.

Forum Member

I don't believe this! Those cops are at it AGAIN!!!!
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

MembersZone Subscriber

Amazing, there is a similar video of a Flat fire in the Bronx on the IACOJ site... and this too is a great Bread & Buter Persons reported Flat fire.

Very similar building to Blocks of Flats built in the UK with open balconies to the front...only difference is, the first crews up would have taken a long line, thrown it over the balcony, pulled the Hosereel up and gone in and hit the fire with the H/R while a 45mm (1.75) jet was halued aloft.

Does anyone in the US use this means of getting a line above the ground floor? It is a long established tactic for reducing the length of hoselines into buildings as well as getting the line to work a lot quicker?
    Steve Dude
    IACOJ member
    www.fireservice.co.uk

London Fire Brigade...."Can Do"

'Irony'... It's a British thing.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SteveDude View Post
    Amazing, there is a similar video of a Flat fire in the Bronx on the IACOJ site... and this too is a great Bread & Buter Persons reported Flat fire.

Very similar building to Blocks of Flats built in the UK with open balconies to the front...only difference is, the first crews up would have taken a long line, thrown it over the balcony, pulled the Hosereel up and gone in and hit the fire with the H/R while a 45mm (1.75) jet was halued aloft.

Does anyone in the US use this means of getting a line above the ground floor? It is a long established tactic for reducing the length of hoselines into buildings as well as getting the line to work a lot quicker?
    If you look on the left side of the video, I believe you can see them doing just that towards the end of the clip. The balconies at Cabrini are fenced in which slows this process down. I think that is what they were doing with the saw. Also, it looks like, for whatever reason, Squad 1 is the first company on scene by a couple of minutes. They don't have any hose at all, which I think is why it seems to take a long time to get water. In my district we have projects that are 7 story buildings that are 79 ft tall. Buildings over 80 ft are required to have standpipes. What a coincidence, huh? It is standard practice to drop a line out the window for a fire above the second floor
    Last edited by ChicagoFF; 02-18-2008 at 06:16 AM.
    I am a complacent liability to the fire service

MembersZone Subscriber

Yup,
    Cheers Bruv,
    Saw it again on the second viewing

Its around 5 floors and over we have Dry Risers fitted and over 20 floors they are wet risers with a mains fed tank and booster pumps.

As for the squad.... unlike yourselves and FDNY (and whoever else has Squad/Rescue Co's) we don't have our Fire Rescue Units assigned to the first call...if the job gets made up to 6 Pumps you will get them but never on a first call...so they should never have the problem faced by the CFB Brothers.... They do have cans in case they come across a job as they do from time to time, but no hose etc...
    Last edited by SteveDude; 02-17-2008 at 02:32 PM.
    Steve Dude
    IACOJ member
    www.fireservice.co.uk

Forum Member

As for the squad.... unlike yourselves and FDNY (and whoever else has Squad/Rescue Co's) we don't have our Fire Rescue Units assigned to the first call...if the job gets made up to 6 Pumps you will get them but never on a first call...so they should never have the problem faced by the CFB Brothers.... They do have cans in case they come across a job as they do from time to time, but no hose etc...
    The squads here are dipatched on "working fires" not just fires. They must just have happened to be the closest company on that night. On a fire you get 2 engines, 2 trucks and a battalion chief. If when you arrive you say you have a fire, then a squad (and other stuff, rit, command van, etc) is dispatched. Thats why you hear alot of "smoke showing" instead of "We have a fire" when companies report on scene. . The office will occasionally declare a working fire before any companies get on scene depending on how many calls they get for a particular fire. There are only 3 real squads here 1, 2 and 5. 7 is at O'Hare and doesn't really count. They are nothing but glory hound, clout spots in my opinion. They never make it in time to do any real work in my neck of the woods - thank god!

MembersZone Subscriber

C'go...
    I ain't even gonna comment on the validity of your squads... in London we traditionally had 8 Emergency Tenders (ET's..same as Rescue Co's) They were very experienced and took in all of the heavy frie duty on big jobs as well as all types of entrapment and rescue work alongside the local crews.

Back in the 90's.... when the old ET's were replaced by Fire Rescue Units, the powers that be decided we'd be better with 5. All of a sudden they became very busy and so it stayed until after 9/11 when it was realised there wasn't much resilience in only 5 so it was decided we'd have 10. This IMO was about right for a City of 8m people and 620 square miles. They kept reasonably active but there was a bit of resilience there.

Following the 7/7 attacks in 2005, all 10 were called or special called onto the three bomb incidents, at the same time a couple of MVA's were going on and local crews with their Holmatro RI kits were doing fine. However, in a SE London Suburb, there was a fast road MVA with a particularly bad pin job...we ended up having to call in Rescue from Kent...now I don't know about over by you, but 'Big City' Politics over here bleed right into the Fire Service...so it was decided that we would now have 16 Fire Rescue Units. Quite a few of them are in Central London and are getting very, very little exposure to work... they spend a lot of time training, but not gaining experience and because all of a sudden they went from being quite an elite unit to one that no one wants to ride. Subsequently the high performing professional experienced Ff's who have riden them since the early 1900's (not the same Guys I hasten to add ) are no longer inerested and there are a lot of 'pressed men' (and women) or keen but unexperienced young people riding them... I hear everything you say mate.

Anyway,
    Now our attendances. A fire like that would attract a two Pump attendance...on certain thoroughfares it would also attract an Aerial. If further calls were reecived (as would be likely in the video), then an additional 2 Pumps, a Command Unit and an ADO (Batt Chief) would be ordered.

In the case of this job, when the first Pump arrived a 'persons reported' message would be sent and maybe a 'Make Pumps four' message (If the 4 Pumps were already in then the message is 'This is now a 4 Pump Fire'. The PR message gets an ambulance sent on as well as the Fire Investigation team.
    Last edited by SteveDude; 02-17-2008 at 06:01 PM.
    Steve Dude
    IACOJ member
    www.fireservice.co.uk

MembersZone Subscriber

why you gotta be dissin the real firemen ChicagoFF....

your just ****ed that they turned down your resume
    The Box. You opened it. We Came...

"You'll take my life but I'll take your's too. You'll fire musket but I'll run you through. So when your waiting for the next attack, you'll better understand there's no turn back."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JHR1985 View Post
    why you gotta be dissin the real firemen ChicagoFF....

your just ****ed that they turned down your resume
    The day I put in for a squad you have my permission to shoot me.

Forum Member

C'go...
    I ain't even gonna comment on the validity of your squads... in London we traditionally had 8 Emergency Tenders (ET's..same as Rescue Co's) They were very experienced and took in all of the heavy frie duty on big jobs as well as all types of entrapment and rescue work alongside the local crews.

Back in the 90's.... when the old ET's were replaced by Fire Rescue Units, the powers that be decided we'd be better with 5. All of a sudden they became very busy and so it stayed until after 9/11 when it was realised there wasn't much resilience in only 5 so it was decided we'd have 10. This IMO was about right for a City of 8m people and 620 square miles. They kept reasonably active but there was a bit of resilience there.

Following the 7/7 attacks in 2005, all 10 were called or special called onto the three bomb incidents, at the same time a couple of MVA's were going on and local crews with their Holmatro RI kits were doing fine. However, in a SE London Suburb, there was a fast road MVA with a particularly bad pin job...we ended up having to call in Rescue from Kent...now I don't know about over by you, but 'Big City' Politics over here bleed right into the Fire Service...so it was decided that we would now have 16 Fire Rescue Units. Quite a few of them are in Central London and are getting very, very little exposure to work... they spend a lot of time training, but not gaining experience and because all of a sudden they went from being quite an elite unit to one that no one wants to ride. Subsequently the high performing professional experienced Ff's who have riden them since the early 1900's (not the same Guys I hasten to add ) are no longer inerested and there are a lot of 'pressed men' (and women) or keen but unexperienced young people riding them... I hear everything you say mate.

Anyway,
    Now our attendances. A fire like that would attract a two Pump attendance...on certain thoroughfares it would also attract an Aerial. If further calls were reecived (as would be likely in the video), then an additional 2 Pumps, a Command Unit and an ADO (Batt Chief) would be ordered.

In the case of this job, when the first Pump arrived a 'persons reported' message would be sent and maybe a 'Make Pumps four' message (If the 4 Pumps were already in then the message is 'This is now a 4 Pump Fire'. The PR message gets an ambulance sent on as well as the Fire Investigation team.

Steve, out of interest, do you guys run pump rescues, or just pumps with combi tools ? It seems odd to have so many Heavy Rescues when it would seem that having some rescue PODS and supplying crew from the pumps on those rare occasions that everything is over run.

Ah well, I am sure you know that

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoFF View Post
    Don't say that to a Texan.

I will never put in for a squad, either. Down here, they're like sq51 on Emergency!

MembersZone Subscriber

oh come on Johnny....

you mean you dont wanna run 20-30 calls a shift chasing ambulances....

Isnt the 7k worth it?

that would be sarcasm by the way

"You'll take my life but I'll take your's too. You'll fire musket but I'll run you through. So when your waiting for the next attack, you'll better understand there's no turn back."

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by pumper8032 View Post
    Steve, out of interest, do you guys run pump rescues, or just pumps with combi tools ? It seems odd to have so many Heavy Rescues when it would seem that having some rescue PODS and supplying crew from the pumps on those rare occasions that everything is over run.

Ah well, I am sure you know that
    Pumper,
    You are right mate... they could have done that and plenty suggested they could have had 'strategic' Stations where the Pumps Crews were FRU qualified then could go out with a truck full of equipment.

The answer was... firstly they have enough to do as it is without the additional FRU training, secondly and wisely I suppose. those 6 Additional FRU's meant an additional establishment of 20 Ff's and 4 Officers per Station, so an extra 144 Operational posts throughtout the Brigade which no one is going to sniff at in this day and age.

Most of the Brigades in the UK have downsized since 2003, London has actually increased in size on the back of 9/11 and 7/7. We may have lost a few of Pumps and one Station from Central London, but we have increased the number of Personnel.

As for our rescue capability. A lot of UK Brigades run Rescue Pumps and Water Tender Ladders. As you will remember, in London we simply run Pump Ladders and Pumps (Identical but the PL has a 45ft ladder and the P has a 35ft Ladder) both of which carry Holmatro Rapid Intervention sets.
    Steve Dude
    IACOJ member
    www.fireservice.co.uk

Forum Member

I think your quote from a few threads back was:

I'd rather have a sister in a whore house than a brother on a squad.

I liked that one better.

Forum Member

Question

It is standard practice to drop a line out the window for a fire above the second floor
    Even for buildings with standpipes? I assume no, but just wanted clarification.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BKDRAFT View Post
    Even for buildings with standpipes? I assume no, but just wanted clarification.
    Correct. Just for buildings without standpipes.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JHR1985 View Post
    oh come on Johnny....

you mean you dont wanna run 20-30 calls a shift chasing ambulances....

Isnt the 7k worth it?

that would be sarcasm by the way
    If I had to choose between the two, the squad would win every time, as long as I wasn't a paramedic, which, thank God, I am not.

MembersZone Subscriber

lucky.....

Forum Member

ChicagoFF, is there an S.O.P. in place that prevented the squad members from taking a couple of PW's to the fire floor and knocking down some fire, and giving a little protection for their searches? Or is this just not a tactic that is used in your city?

This is a legitimate question that I have been wondering about, not trying to say anyone's tactics are right or wrong so please dont take it as such.

Forum Member

Oh, I loved that end interview with the resident. "Well........The fire departments kind of slow, but,.........for real."

Are you kidding me? Does she expect them to be around the corner when it starts? Ungrateful people, I'd hate to see what she would say if she lived out in the country and had extended response times.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by KAPNKRNCH View Post
    ChicagoFF, is there an S.O.P. in place that prevented the squad members from taking a couple of PW's to the fire floor and knocking down some fire, and giving a little protection for their searches? Or is this just not a tactic that is used in your city?

This is a legitimate question that I have been wondering about, not trying to say anyone's tactics are right or wrong so please dont take it as such.
    To be totally honest I don't know if the squad carries cans or not. Even if they did, we don't use PW cans here. We use 5 gallon hand pumps.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by edge1317 View Post
    Oh, I loved that end interview with the resident. "Well........The fire departments kind of slow, but,.........for real."

Are you kidding me? Does she expect them to be around the corner when it starts? Ungrateful people, I'd hate to see what she would say if she lived out in the country and had extended response times.
    ChicagoFF correct me if I am wrong, but yeah she does expect them to be right around the corner as the closest station is right around the corner from the Cabrini Green(sp) projects. They must have been out on a call as it was said earlier that the Squad got there first.

This is one of the hand full of projects remaining in Chicago as they are tearing them down to build condos and all of the mopes are moving being forced to move to the projects in the suburds. At least this is what I was told by both some cops and ff's last time I visited the city.
    Real men wear kilts. www.forourfallen.org

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GFDLT1 View Post
    ChicagoFF correct me if I am wrong, but yeah she does expect them to be right around the corner as the closest station is right around the corner from the Cabrini Green(sp) projects. They must have been out on a call as it was said earlier that the Squad got there first.

This is one of the hand full of projects remaining in Chicago as they are tearing them down to build condos and all of the mopes are moving being forced to move to the projects in the suburds. At least this is what I was told by both some cops and ff's last time I visited the city.
    Engine 4, Tower 10 are right in the middle of what is left of Cabrini. Robert Taylor is gone, Cabrini mostly gone. Many of the lage, dense projects are gone. We still have many clusters of low rise and mid rise scattered all over.

http://www.gangstacity.net/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_7xzKVVrT8

Hahahahahaha
    Last edited by ChicagoFF; 02-19-2008 at 11:32 PM.

Thread Information