Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Forum Member

Default Drag Rescue Device Issues

I read on one of the other sites I frequent for laughs (www.emtbravo.net) about guys getting hung up to the point of entanglement and entrapment with the DRD's while breaching a wall. Story came out of Binghamton NY about members drilling with breaching a wall and one of the guys got his caught on a nail and subsequently could not get out of his situation.

Anyone else have any experience? I am almost glad my new coat didnt come with it now.

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyirons2 View Post
    I read on one of the other sites I frequent for laughs (www.emtbravo.net) about guys getting hung up to the point of entanglement and entrapment with the DRD's while breaching a wall. Story came out of Binghamton NY about members drilling with breaching a wall and one of the guys got his caught on a nail and subsequently could not get out of his situation.

Anyone else have any experience? I am almost glad my new coat didnt come with it now.
    Certain manufacturers (not ours) have taken the step of having a velco or some other type of patch over the area. I would assume this greatly reduces the chances of this happening. There was atleast one other mention of this happening, somewhere else in NY. I cant find the damn article now, but ill keep looking.
    Proud East Coast Traditionalist.

MembersZone Subscriber

I'd have to see it to believe it. Any DRD I've seen is located just above where the SCBA bottle sits and is under a velcro closure. For a nail to catch it, he'd have had to have had the SCBA bottle off and the nail would have had to have opened the closure and grabbed the strap. In order for the nail to have opened the DRD closure, he would have had to have been going out butt first.

Unless he's got some kind of set-up I haven't seen before (I've seen the DRD's for Globe, Cairns, Morning Pride, and Securitex) or he's doing a wall-breach different than I've ever learned, I'm thinking BS.

Even if it did happen and the technique was being performed right, I'll take my chances with my DRD over the slight chance that I'd get hung up on a nail. I have serious doubts a little nail inside a wall is going to stop me should I be in a situation where I'm really needing to get through that wall.

Quote Originally Posted by Catch22 View Post
    I'd have to see it to believe it. Any DRD I've seen is located just above where the SCBA bottle sits and is under a velcro closure. For a nail to catch it, he'd have had to have had the SCBA bottle off and the nail would have had to have opened the closure and grabbed the strap. In order for the nail to have opened the DRD closure, he would have had to have been going out butt first.

Unless he's got some kind of set-up I haven't seen before (I've seen the DRD's for Globe, Cairns, Morning Pride, and Securitex) or he's doing a wall-breach different than I've ever learned, I'm thinking BS.

Even if it did happen and the technique was being performed right, I'll take my chances with my DRD over the slight chance that I'd get hung up on a nail. I have serious doubts a little nail inside a wall is going to stop me should I be in a situation where I'm really needing to get through that wall.
    Our Morning Prides dont have the velcro enclosure. the webbing is fully exposed, and sticks out about 2 inches. Its very possible. And the SCBA bottle will not affect in any way getting caught that high with a nail or something of that nature. If that was the case, my helmet wouldnt fit right because my bottle would keep knocking it off my head.

Last edited by nyckftbl; 02-16-2008 at 03:21 PM.

http://firefighterclosecalls.com/fullstory.php?59580

Y'all mean that article?
    I am fortunate enough to have mine fully enclosed in a flap held down by velcro.

If we are being taught to use SCBA straps to extricate a downed FF, what is the purpose of the DRD?
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

I can't get the pictures to copy and paste here so here's the link to the story:

With our DRD, it takes quite a bit of effort to actually get it to deploy thanks to the velcro flap.

Pictures in the story still don't do it justice in being able to determine what type it is.

BLSboy beat me to it.
    However, our department is stressing that the DRD is for horizontal (dragging) deployment and use.
    Last edited by ffbam24; 02-16-2008 at 03:21 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    Our Morning Prides dont have the velcro enclosure. the webbing is fully exposed, and sticks out about 2 inches. Its very possible. And the SCBA bottle will not affect in any way getting caught that high with a nail or something of that nature. If that was the case, my helmet wouldnt fit right because my bottle would keep knocking it off my head.
    I guess I've never seen a set-up with the DRD exposed. Is that a modification/add-on to an existing set of gear?

Beat ya by 2 min!
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

Forum Member

If you breach a wall to go through, unless youre a bare skeleton, you WILL NOT FIT THROUGH IT WITH AN SCBA ON. So you need to go to try and get through an approx 16 inch wide area on your hands and knees while maintaining the left hand "Death Grip- Thats for you nyckftbl".

Quote Originally Posted by Catch22 View Post
    I guess I've never seen a set-up with the DRD exposed. Is that a modification/add-on to an existing set of gear?
    new gear. see the pic i added. the orange thing is what im referring to.

"Swim manuveur" works pretty well for squeezing thru studs (if you have the vertical room)

If you breach a wall to go through, unless youre a bare skeleton, you WILL NOT FIT THROUGH IT WITH AN SCBA ON. So you need to go to try and get through an approx 16 inch wide area on your hands and knees while maintaining the left hand "Death Grip- Thats for you nyckftbl".
    Johnny, is that with the way the FF in the picture is, or crawling on your hands and knees?

I have had problems getting through any wall breach (I'm not huge, by any means) but even the big ol boys I went through didnt have any issues swimming through with their packs.
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF

Quote Originally Posted by BLSboy View Post

Y'all mean that article?
    I am fortunate enough to have mine fully enclosed in a flap held down by velcro.

If we are being taught to use SCBA straps to extricate a downed FF, what is the purpose of the DRD?
    Not everyone has the DRD, and in some cases, it still may be easier to grab the SCBA. Just another option.

Also, the DRD can only be used horizontally, its not designed for going up stairs, etc. With making the SCBA a harness, its atleast possible.

Ive done it numerous times. And Im not exactly a small guy.

Forum Member

Well its time for you to man up and hit the gym. Ive never fit through a pair of studs without doing a reduced profile and even then it was with someone pushing me through. Next time you go to a job, ask the boss if you can take out a wall and try it. And of course youre not a big guy, if you were you would be in the truck :-)

Well its time for you to man up and hit the gym. Ive never fit through a pair of studs without doing a reduced profile and even then it was with someone pushing me through. Next time you go to a job, ask the boss if you can take out a wall and try it. And of course youre not a big guy, if you were you would be in the truck :-)
    Im obviously not going to convince you, which is unfortunate. Ive done it at drills after jobs, and Ive done it at a wall breach simulator, at the Rock and at other places. If you would like, I will try to provide pictures for you the next time I drill on it.

Like I have said before, just because YOU havent been able to accomplish it, doesnt make it impossible. And I can guarantee you Im not the only one here who has managed to do it without doing a reduced profile. Ive done the swim move to get through, and Ive done it going though back first, using my legs to push.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BLSboy View Post
    Johnny, is that with the way the FF in the picture is, or crawling on your hands and knees?

I have had problems getting through any wall breach (I'm not huge, by any means) but even the big ol boys I went through didnt have any issues swimming through with their packs.
    We have 45 minute cylinders, which add a few inches and about 8lbs to your already overloaded ensemble, 30 minute jobs are like pony tanks when diving, tuck em up anywhere@!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ffbam24 View Post
    "Swim manuveur" works pretty well for squeezing thru studs (if you have the vertical room)
    swimming here too

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    Im obviously not going to convince you, which is unfortunate. Ive done it at drills after jobs, and Ive done it at a wall breach simulator, at the Rock and at other places. If you would like, I will try to provide pictures for you the next time I drill on it.

Like I have said before, just because YOU havent been able to accomplish it, doesnt make it impossible. And I can guarantee you Im not the only one here who has managed to do it without doing a reduced profile. Ive done the swim move to get through, and Ive done it going though back first, using my legs to push.
    Just because you have done it where you work, does not mean it works in area's where construction and security are paramount to our best interests. One of the Lt's in my house is in the forefront of FE I presented him your idea about using the Hydra-Ram for outward opening doors, and even he said, how many guys do you have working with you? with three guys you can do a lot, when youre the ov and alone, you get the saw. Same with this, if youre breaching a wall where we work, its cause its bad on the other side, or you need to get out quick. You wont be standing up and slipping through, youre going to be on the ground and its not gonna be easy. Perhaps youre a lot smaller than me, or you have nothing in your pockets. I have tried it and want it to work, but it just doesnt for me. Its unfortunate, cause I want to be right there with you on the other side of that wall, getting the F out of there.

We have 45 minute cylinders, which add a few inches and about 8lbs to your already overloaded ensemble, 30 minute jobs are like pony tanks when diving, tuck em up anywhere@!
    Same deal, cept I am stuck with 45 min Draegers. I have never had a problem scampering through the 16 inches provided.
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF

Thread Information