Thread: Four words

Forum Member

How about if we boycott all of FH.com's advertisers (and let them KNOW we are boycotting them) until the webteam and cygnus agree to change the ways things are done, including allowing moderators like we were talking about a while back???????
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

makes good girls go bad

FWD, as much as I like that idea, how many of us can we get to do that? And how serious will they take us?

And, for the record, put me down as # 2 on the boycott!
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

Forum Member

I do a lot of purchasing for my department(s) it would be easy to stop using some sites and switch to other ones.

Forum Member

No it wasn't...
    Was so.
    How about if we boycott all of FH.com's advertisers (and let them KNOW we are boycotting them) until the webteam and cygnus agree to change the ways things are done, including allowing moderators like we were talking about a while back???????
    Are you kidding? I'm a professional firefighter...I can't afford any of that crap, anyhow.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by BLSboy View Post
    FWD, as much as I like that idea, how many of us can we get to do that? And how serious will they take us?
    That probably depends on some factors. Considering what, 5% or less of the registered users actually post with any sort of frequency and several of them agree (I think they do at least). Why stop with boycotting the advertises. See how active things are if those who post frequently quit posting for about a week (or longer).

I'm game.

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

The link just worked for me.
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BLSboy View Post

And, for the record, put me down as # 2 on the boycott!
    How serious would they take us??? It all depends on how organized we are, and how we enact our methods. Here's a scenerio:

"Hello, Chief Smith? My name is Dewey Cheetum, I am your regional sales rep for XYZ Fire Hose Company. I happened to note recently you received an ABC grant for a fire hose purchase, and I was wondering if I could come out and talk to you one night and bring some of my hose to leave with you for you to try out?"

"XYZ you say?? Well lissen, I'd like to talk to you, but I'm afraid we're between a rock and a hard place. You guys advertise on Firehouse.com, and we're having a bit of a problem with the way they and cygnus communications run things over there....We pledged to boycott all companies that advertise on fh.com until they take care of some grievances that we, and the other boycotters have with them. Tell your corporate HQ to lean on them to straighten out their universe, and then maybe we can talk!"

------------------------------------------

Another example: As I am typing this, there is an ad at the top of the screen for T-Shirts. Seems there are many of this type of ad, that depends primarily on individual interest in the products. I bet the majority of these advertisers have websites and email addresses. What if a whole poopload of us sent these "little guys" an email, saying we'll go to their competitors, unless if fh.com starts listening to us instead of giving us "we'll do what we want, when we want, to who we want, and wont explain ourselves, and you'll like it."

This may be the last thing I ever post- I figure approximately one hour or less after I hit "enter", the men in black will burst through my front door and flashy-thingy me.

If I die, I die in vain. I die in memory of George.
    Last edited by FWDbuff; 02-19-2008 at 09:53 PM.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by hwoods View Post
    You be REAL careful there............
    He'll hit you with his cane.

Forum Member

Go to bshifter.com They don't ban anybody.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BULL321 View Post
    "I see!" said the blind man. I would still like the web team to pony up and give their official version of the events that occured to get "George" kicked off. Paying customers would like to know.

Stay Safe
    Bull
    I have to ask. Why the hell would you pay for firehouse.com?

oh, and Bring Back George.

If the WT is going to ban him, it should be for a good reason, not reminding them of their own T.O.S.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by johnny46 View Post
    Go to bshifter.com They don't ban anybody.
    Do they ever update anything on there now? It was pretty slow the last time I looked.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Geinandputitout View Post
    Do they ever update anything on there now? It was pretty slow the last time I looked.
    But the forums are independant of that.

Forum Member

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    How serious would they take us??? It all depends on how organized we are, and how we enact our methods. Here's a scenerio:

"Hello, Chief Smith? My name is Dewey Cheetum, I am your regional sales rep for XYZ Fire Hose Company. I happened to note recently you received an ABC grant for a fire hose purchase, and I was wondering if I could come out and talk to you one night and bring some of my hose to leave with you for you to try out?"

"XYZ you say?? Well lissen, I'd like to talk to you, but I'm afraid we're between a rock and a hard place. You guys advertise on Firehouse.com, and we're having a bit of a problem with the way they and cygnus communications run things over there....We pledged to boycott all companies that advertise on fh.com until they take care of some grievances that we, and the other boycotters have with them. Tell your corporate HQ to lean on them to straighten out their universe, and then maybe we can talk!"

------------------------------------------

Another example: As I am typing this, there is an ad at the top of the screen for T-Shirts. Seems there are many of this type of ad, that depends primarily on individual interest in the products. I bet the majority of these advertisers have websites and email addresses. What if a whole poopload of us sent these "little guys" an email, saying we'll go to their competitors, unless if fh.com starts listening to us instead of giving us "we'll do what we want, when we want, to who we want, and wont explain ourselves, and you'll like it."

This may be the last thing I ever post- I figure approximately one hour or less after I hit "enter", the men in black will burst through my front door and flashy-thingy me.

If I die, I die in vain. I die in memory of George.
    The more I think abou this thing, the more I think of Cuba. I heard on the news today that Fidel Castro stepped down after the 38 year embargo with the United States. I'm thinking that maybe we need a tactic that might work in a time span measured in days not decades?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post
    I have to ask. Why the hell would you pay for firehouse.com?

oh, and Bring Back George.

:
    It was a FH Magazine/Members Zone combo deal. Not that they give a SH*T what we think either, and after the way the web team acts, I have to admit you are asking a very very good question. I love the magazine, But .....

Bull

P.S. BRING BACK GEORGE!!
    Last edited by BULL321; 02-20-2008 at 01:52 PM.
    Stay Safe
    Bull

“Guys if you get hurt, we’ll help you. If you get sick we’ll treat you. If you want to bitch and moan, then all I can tell you is to flick the sand out of your slit, suck it up or get the hell out!”
    - Capt. Marc Cox CFD

Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.
    -WINSTON CHURCHILL

Forum Member

ehhhh, didn't really see anything to warrant a suspension, don't really care though. Wasn't me that caused his suspension, although maybe it was George's arrogance that caught the WT's attention.

think of the WT as a sleeping bear. it doesn't do much, and generally just sleeps, and if you don't bother it, it won't bother you. but if you poke it long enough, it's going to wake up, and bite you, even though you might not deserve it.

He'll be back annoying us in no time.

and for those who say he should get another purple hydrant, he violated the TOS according to the WT. he wasn't doing something honorable like straightening out a newbie. he was being his usual self (my exact opinion of him would probably get me suspended too, so I won't mention it), and I guess the WT had enough and spanked him. maybe when he returns he will learn his lesson and stop being such a thorn in everyone's side.
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by scfire86 View Post
    Gimme a break. If any of us spent our time calling out each other on grammatical errors we wouldn't be talking about anything else.

I don't expect the Queen's syntax on message boards.

But hey, if you feel good with your "gotcha" moment, who am I to deny you that momentary happiness.
    They're loathe to admit it, but die-hard right-wing Republicans and dyed-in-the-wool left-leaning Democrats have one thing completely in common:
    None of you is capable of laughing at yourselves, and how dare anyone try to make light of you...

Man, it must suck to have such gravity about yourself that you risk imploding into a black hole.
    Yep, it was a "gotcha" moment, but a mildly humorous one, so sit back and laugh... or sit down and quit cryin. Either way, lighten up a bit, Francis, before you take our galaxy down with you!
    My opinions might coincide with someone of importance's POV... I wouldn't know, since I never bothered to ask. My policy is: "Don't ask, don't care."

IACOJ--West Coast PITA

Forum Member

I say "Bring George Back".

If not, we can try a new game. See how fast the WT can ban us all. And after we are all banned, let's do something constructive with our lives.......

Ahhhhhh, screw it!!!
    Just someone trying to help! (And by the way....Thanks for YOUR help!)

Aggressive does not have to equal stupid.

** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

MembersZone Subscriber

You know I have to admit I'm amazed.

There are like 5 or 6 active threads right now with some serious WT bashing going on, and no sign of any response.

Honestly, in my short 5 years visiting here, there has been dissent and disgruntled movement by the subscribers and participants, but I have not seen the natives this restless before...
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mcaldwell View Post
    You know I have to admit I'm amazed.

There are like 5 or 6 active threads right now with some serious WT bashing going on, and no sign of any response.
    Give it a bit, they're trying to figure out the "ban most users" function. Pretty soon it'll be the Bobs and whatever other "contributing editors" all trying to hock each other (and the chirping crickets around here) their wares.....
    My opinions might coincide with someone of importance's POV... I wouldn't know, since I never bothered to ask. My policy is: "Don't ask, don't care."

IACOJ--West Coast PITA

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Bring Back George Wendt

You want Him...You Got Him !!!

George Wendt.doc

I must second,third,fourth...etc...BRING BACK GEORGE WENDT !!!

MembersZone Subscriber

I would think George will come back, if for nothing else, just to show up the WT. I guess I will jump on the boycott wagon, even though I don't buy anything anyway.

The link works, I just read it. I totally applaud George for speaking out against the Bob's for what they are promoting. It is hard enough to get good applicants, and these jokers are screwing with the ethical process of it. I think I will post something about them on my union website, just to make sure people are aware of what kind of crap is being fed to applicants nowadays.

Harve-stand by for a pm ref a fire my last shift. And don't come after me with your cane!

Stay Safe
    Chris Polimeni
    Prince George's County FD
    Back at the Big 29er

Forum Member

just to show up the WT
    That is not George's style.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Quote Originally Posted by FlaFireGator View Post
    You want Him...You Got Him !!!

Attachment 14058

I must second,third,fourth...etc...BRING BACK GEORGE WENDT !!!
    THIS is the "Real George". I had to dig REALLY DEEP to find this one, and ya, its almost older than dirt now.

http://forums.firehouse.com/showthre...light=george+w
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Forum Member

One of our good sales reps was permanently removed from here a while back. It wasn't for advertising. It was because he called someone on some things they were saying. They got into a bit of an argument (who hasn't?) and, BAM, so long. Talked to him a few weeks ago and he said he's tried to register again but got rejected. Guess his employer didn't advertise enough so he got da boot.

BRING BACK GEORGE AND CRIS!
    SFPD Member MABAS Division 47
    Told my wife I'm at work. Told my boss I'm sick. I'm really at the fire station.
    I.A.C.O.J.

Forum Member

The simple fact is this website is no longer the only game in town. The powers that be should really re-examine their customer service skills.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Thread Information