Forum Member

Default Husband and Wife Firefighting Team Help Save House

I know Shawn and Michelle they are great people as I heard this on the news last night it didn's surprise me in the least it was them. Hats off to them.

http://morningjournalnews.com/news/a...articleID=8602

Firefighting neighbors help save garage in Negley

By MATTHEW SCHOMERJournal Staff Writer

NEGLEY — A husband-and-wife team of firefighters held back a blaze at a neighbor’s garage Saturday night until other firefighters could arrive.

According to Negley Volunteer Fire Association President Bev Shell, Fire Lt. Sean Ensell was driving his sons home around 9:15 p.m. Saturday and saw what he thought was burning garbage at the home of David and Janet McCoy, 47892 Carmel Achor Road, who live just a few houses down the road from Ensell.

After dropping off his sons, Ensell returned to the house to investigate and saw something fall from the attached garage, Shell said, which is how he discovered that the garage was on fire. He and his wife, fellow Fire Lt. Michelle Ensell, held off the flames until other firefighters from Negley and New Waterford could arrive.

While the garage sustained a moderate amount of damage from flames, smoke and water, Shell said the house remained almost fully free from damage.

“If he hadn’t saw it, it would’ve gone up,” Shell said. “It’s a good thing they have nosy neighbors,” she continued with a laugh.

Firefighters have tracked the cause of the fire to a woodburning stove in the garage, which Shell said ignited some rafters and other things in the garage. There was no one home at the time the fire broke out.

While the Ensells were the first on the scene, Negley sent out two engines, two tanker trucks and two squad trucks while mutual aid from the New Waterford Volunteer Fire Department provided one tanker truck and one pumper truck.

mschomer@mojonews.com
    Training does not make perfect. Training makes permanent!

IACOJ probie

Forum Member

fireguy919, I'm curious what they used to hold off the fire until help arrived, garden hose, extinguishers, etc.? Kudos to Shawn and Michelle. That's what being a firefighter is all about, helping others.
    SFPD Member MABAS Division 47
    Told my wife I'm at work. Told my boss I'm sick. I'm really at the fire station.
    I.A.C.O.J.

Forum Member

I am not sure as of yet. Tonight is our County Fire meeting. I am working the ambo but hope it stays slow so I can find out more info.
    Training does not make perfect. Training makes permanent!

IACOJ probie

Thread Information