MembersZone Subscriber

Default This site and ethics

Ya know, I vented about it in the one thread about Kentland and it is still bothering me.

The ethics of the management of these forums and website are either on vacation or just plain non-existent. Do "they" really think "they" are that much smarter/better/whatever then us?

First they slap all of us in the face with the reasoning "Well we deleted the thread because it is old." Pure bull. They know it. They know we know it. Yet they tout it.

Now this crap with GeorgeWendtCFI.

I guess the supreme quest for the almighty dollar clouds some ability to differ between right and wrong. I said it before, if any of us were to bring MONEY into Cygnus and FH.com we would be allowed to get away with anything. They can allow "their" members to continual spam these forums. But someone else came onto these boards and did the same thing. Guess the result. Permanently Removed and the thread deleted within HOURS. But Major Spammer and his little buddy Mini-Spammer are allowed to continually post the SAME canned messages.

The management and web team turn a blind eye to the fact that these two ENCOURAGE potential firefighters to learn how to "beat" a polygraph and now in another thread to turn a blind eye to ILLEGAL actions. Yes. These are the your very own FH.com Memberszone contributors encouraging these despicably actions. Keep that in mind all you potential firefighters. You are either part of the problem, or part of the solution.
    I guess when it comes to the almighty Dollar and doing the right thing with Cygnus, the almighty dollar will win every time.

Hey, but they can sleep with themselves at night.
    Last edited by DocVBFDE14; 02-19-2008 at 05:11 PM.
    Co 11
    Virginia Beach FD

Amateurs practice until they get it right; professionals practice until they cannot get it wrong. Which one are you?

'The fire went out and nobody got hurt' is a poor excuse for a fireground critique.

Forum Member

Well stated. The WT only seems to do their job when the mood strikes them. Too many good discussions are stopped prematurely, while the BS posts and arguments are allowed to continue. There is a wealth of available knowledge here. To bad the power that be, want to put a leash and a muzzle on the ones that seem to have the most knowledge or at least encourage the better discussions.
    Jason Brooks
    IAFF Local 2388
    IACOJ

Forum Member

Goto www.bshifter.com
    NO CENSORSHIP there......

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DocVBFDE14 View Post
    Ya know, I vented about it in the one thread about Kentland and it is still bothering me.

The ethics of the management of these forums and website are either on vacation or just plain non-existent. Do "they" really think "they" are that much smarter/better/whatever then us?

First they slap all of us in the face with the reasoning "Well we deleted the thread because it is old." Pure bull. They know it. They know we know it. Yet they tout it.

I guess the supreme quest for the almighty dollar clouds some ability to differ between right and wrong. I said it before, if any of us were to bring MONEY into Cygnus and FH.com we would be allowed to get away with anything. They can allow "their" members to continual spam these forums. But someone else came onto these boards and did the same thing. Guess the result. Permanently Removed and the thread deleted within HOURS. But Major Spammer and his little buddy Mini-Spammer are allowed to continually post the SAME canned messages.

The management and web team turn a blind eye to the fact that these two ENCOURAGE potential firefighters to learn how to "beat" a polygraph and now in another thread to turn a blind eye to ILLEGAL actions. Yes. These are the your very own FH.com Memberszone contributors encouraging these despicably actions. Keep that in mind all you potential firefighters. You are either part of the problem, or part of the solution.
    I guess when it comes to the almighty Dollar and doing the right thing with Cygnus, the almighty dollar will win every time.

Hey, but they can sleep with themselves at night.

Quote Originally Posted by jbrescue View Post
    ...while the BS posts and arguments are allowed to continue.
    Such as this one.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

MembersZone Subscriber

What happened with George?

MembersZone Subscriber

???
    I see he's "temporarily inactive". But don't see any recent posts (last was 2/13) that would cause that.

MembersZone Subscriber

Can't argue with you one bit. This is one of the big reasons Cygnus no longer gets any of my money.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by quint1officer View Post
    I believe he got a 30 day pee pee whacking.
    Jason Brooks
    IAFF Local 2388
    IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ffbam24 View Post
    ???
    I see he's "temporarily inactive". But don't see any recent posts (last was 2/13) that would cause that.
    Go to the "four words" thread, there's info there.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks, I just read that. This place is becoming more and more like a high school joke every day.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks, I just read that. This place is becoming more and more like a high school joke every day.

Exactly why I let my subscription and memberzone lapse. I didn't want to feed the joke.
    "The uniform you wear was given to you. The respect that comes with it must be earned."

Heretic
    Lieutenant
    Vermont

Forum Member

He spoke out against one of the webteam's protected children. He got whacked.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

But just think of how ripped his forearms'll be...........

My opinions might coincide with someone of importance's POV... I wouldn't know, since I never bothered to ask. My policy is: "Don't ask, don't care."

IACOJ--West Coast PITA

Forum Member

You'll be banned for that one for sure!!!!
    Just someone trying to help! (And by the way....Thanks for YOUR help!)

Aggressive does not have to equal stupid.

** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

MembersZone Subscriber

First the eBay boycott.... now this revolt.

There's blood in the air, I tell ya.

And I assure you, WT/Cygnus.... firefighters do NOT like their intelligence insulted, and we have very long memories, especially in our in-house circles, such as this site.

I hear a flushing sound getting louder....
    You only have to be stupid once to be dead permanently
    IACOJ Power Company Liason
    When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution
    and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy. - Dave Barry.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ElectricHoser
    And I assure you, WT/Cygnus.... firefighters do NOT like their intelligence insulted, and we have very long memories, especially in our in-house circles, such as this site.
    Especially true of Truckies--just like elephants, their brains are the size of peanuts, and they never forget.
    My opinions might coincide with someone of importance's POV... I wouldn't know, since I never bothered to ask. My policy is: "Don't ask, don't care."

IACOJ--West Coast PITA

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by THEFIRENUT View Post
    You'll be banned for that one for sure!!!!
    Oh no! What would I do with the extra 15 minutes in the day?
    Jason Brooks
    IAFF Local 2388
    IACOJ

Forum Member

You guys are gettin you're panties in a knot for nothing.
    George has been ran out of here before, probably will happen again.
    He also took a year and a half or so off from here, I missed him then.
    He can do this time standing on his head. Then he'll be back and you'll forget all about this personal hell you're putting yourself through.
    IAFF

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by snowball View Post
    You guys are gettin you're panties in a knot for nothing.
    George has been ran out of here before, probably will happen again.
    He also took a year and a half or so off from here, I missed him then.
    He can do this time standing on his head. Then he'll be back and you'll forget all about this personal hell you're putting yourself through.
    I can only speak for myself personally. For me it isn't about the ban/suspension or whatever.

To me it is all about the continued double standard or rule enforcement.

I don't agree with it in the military and probably speaks to why I remain an E5.

Major Spammer and his cohorts are nothing but our annoying little sister. Start crap and then run to mommy and daddy for protection.

Influence in poor ways naive canidates but then fall back on the lame "but it is a .com site" I detest that annoying "Who me?" routine of trouble makers.

And anyone who aids trouble makers is just as bad.
    Co 11
    Virginia Beach FD

Amateurs practice until they get it right; professionals practice until they cannot get it wrong. Which one are you?

'The fire went out and nobody got hurt' is a poor excuse for a fireground critique.

MembersZone Subscriber

O.K. -I've read all the threads for days and I have done my utmost best to try and stay out of this but I just can't take it any more. I'll probably take some lumps for this one too but so be it - I've got to have my say.

1) George and I have disagreed as much as we have agreed through the years. However I always respected his opinion and the fact that he was willing to give it, explain it, and if need be defend it. You always know where George stands and for that he has my respect.

2) I fully agree with the sentiment that there is favoritism, double standards, and an all around lack of general over-site here.

3) I have been a member of several forums that covered several topics and even just a general "chat" forum. I have even been a moderator on a couple of them - and I can say that some of the most trouble free were the "self moderated" forums (which was suggested and rejected by FH.com)

HOWEVER - no matter if you subscribe to the magazine, memberzone, or both - these forums are still the property of FH.com / Cygnus Publications and they can manage them (or mis-manage them) as they see fit. End of story.

It's like the "old days" of sand lot baseball - It's my bat & my ball so I get to make the rules and I can enforce them or overlook them as I see fit whenever I want.

No amount of complaining, whining, or "other discussion" is going to change that. You'd have better luck getting blood from a turnip.

So your best course of action is to acknowledge the fact that this sort of thing is going to happen & get over it - or find a different forum to use.

I still come here (almost daily) because, for better or worse, this is still by and large the single most used & most visited firefighting forum on the web. For that - I'm willing to accept that it has issues.

In my humble and almost insignificant opinion the firefighting community at large has much more pressing issues and bigger problems to worry about than who gets to advertise for free on a web forum and who got their pee-pee whacked for speaking out about it.

This topic is much like that of Death and Taxes. You can't change it, you can't avoid it, and most likely you're not going to enjoy it either.

There - I spoke my piece and counted to three. You may now resume your regularly scheduled discussion.
    Take Care - Stay Safe - God Bless
    Stephen
    FF/Paramedic
    Instructor

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by N2DFire View Post

So your best course of action is to acknowledge the fact that this sort of thing is going to happen & get over it - or find a different forum to use.
    This isn't directed at you. I hear your message.

My thing?

People who run things like this, allow it to continue because no one will/wants to speak up because everything thinks exactly that. It would be useless to try and change anything, lets just accept it.

Positive change can only begin or happen when people get tired of just "accepting" and begin to do/prompt change.
    Co 11
    Virginia Beach FD

MembersZone Subscriber

This isn't directed at you. I hear your message.

My thing?

People who run things like this, allow it to continue because no one will/wants to speak up because everything thinks exactly that. It would be useless to try and change anything, lets just accept it.

Positive change can only begin or happen when people get tired of just "accepting" and begin to do/prompt change.
    Trust me Brother - we are on the same page. My previous post wasn't directed at you (or anyone in particular for that matter). Even though my profile says "member since 2000" (or whatever) - I've been here longer than that. One of the "Forum Software upgrades" caused everyone to have to re-register.

Anyhow - my reason for bringing that up is - back then FH.com was a really nice place to be and it's steadily gone down hill over these years.

I commend you for having the desire to "stand & deliver" in an attempt to turn this situation around. I guess it's just a lot of the "old timers" like myself have just gotten tired of fighting and just "deal with it" or they have left for other sites.

If you think you can get things to change, then by all means please continue. I just think that things have gone downward for so long that pretty much nothing short of a true "walk out" is going to get things to change and with the sheer number of people who come to this site - I don't see that happening.
    Take Care - Stay Safe - God Bless
    Stephen
    FF/Paramedic
    Instructor

FIGJAM

So do what myself and thousands of other doing- head on over to www.firefighternation.com

The forums are pretty broad but within the site there's groups set up by users who then moderate their own group's membership, forums, etc.

I set up the "Vehicle Extrication and Rescue" group.

It's still a new site and has no where near the membership of this one, and it also lacks a huge amount of the BS to go with it...
    Luke

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by lutan1 View Post
    So do what myself and thousands of other doing- head on over to www.firefighternation.com

The forums are pretty broad but within the site there's groups set up by users who then moderate their own group's membership, forums, etc.

I set up the "Vehicle Extrication and Rescue" group.

It's still a new site and has no where near the membership of this one, and it also lacks a huge amount of the BS to go with it...
    Shameless plug..wait till the w/t sees this.
    IAFF

FIGJAM

Quote Originally Posted by snowball View Post
    Shameless plug..wait till the w/t sees this.
    Yeah, whatever....
    Luke

Thread Information