1. #251
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Western NC
    Posts
    17

    Default

    I will be registering for the next application process when ever that may be, Im originally from Cincinnati, now i live in NC and i hate it here lol miss the big city =]
    guess it would go ahead and help to get my National Registry as an EMT. since i just got my NC EMT this month.
    ALL gave some, Some gave ALL always remember 343

  2. #252
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    126

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CarnyTheKid View Post
    They will not pull from this list again. This is not uncommon for Cincinnati to only pull one class from a list. This will be at least the second if not the third time they only did one class from a list in the last four testing processes. For those who did not get hired this time around, unless the economy becomes a depression, there are nearly 100 firefighters that must retire by law in January of 2011. So if there is another test between now and then, there is your best shot at Cincinnati.
    And here it is......

    http://www.cincinnati-oh.gov/cityhr/...r_pdf35678.pdf

  3. #253

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1

    Default

    good luck to you all...maybe they won't skip that many people this time around.

  4. #254
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    32

    Default

    Oh come on Lung....I thought for sure you'd have something for this.last post..........I'll be waiting

  5. #255
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    56

    Default

    Well, Pus I hate to disappoint. So in July of 2010 they're going to pull from the 09 list. That should be a few very large groups or they still might pull from the current list before then to ease the work load on the training dept.

  6. #256
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    126

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Leatherlung1 View Post
    Well, Pus I hate to disappoint. So in July of 2010 they're going to pull from the 09 list. That should be a few very large groups or they still might pull from the current list before then to ease the work load on the training dept.
    Leather, first let me say I am not trying to argue with you but just tell everyone how it is. Again they will not pull from this current list again for 2 reasons. First they have canceled the 2009 class and pushed it back to 2010 which the new test is for. Second they will not pull from this list because there are not enough minorities left to hire. Whether you or anyone else agrees or disagrees with it, that is how it is. They still want to be an EEO employer and bring in minorities to the department. It is up to the department when and how many they hire each time and if they don't like the current list, they let it expire and start another one. Yes this is disappointing, but I know of a few people that had to take the test 4 times before they were hired, so keep your chins up, get in line for this next test and try again.

  7. #257
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    32

    Default

    Leather....I prefer Platy....however very clever

    Carny....peep this.....what would you say if I've taken the test 10 times....passed every time and still haven't been hired....what is the City of Cinci trying to tell me

  8. #258
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    126

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by platypus View Post
    Leather....I prefer Platy....however very clever

    Carny....peep this.....what would you say if I've taken the test 10 times....passed every time and still haven't been hired....what is the City of Cinci trying to tell me
    To try Columbus

  9. #259
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    37

    Default

    we got are own money problems...

  10. #260
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    12

    Default

    In the paper Feb 28th it said there is a class scheduled for fall of this year. The city is trying to get some Federal money to pay for it.

  11. #261
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    36

    Default

    What did everyone think about the exam?

  12. #262
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    182

    Default

    my first time taking cincy's test.. seemed like a good amount of people there.. i felt i did good but i think i should have spent more time looking through that study guide.

  13. #263
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    36

    Default

    I agree. It was much more from the study guide than it was last year. Guess we will find out in 5-6 weeks.

  14. #264
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    126

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SlightlyStoopid View Post
    In the paper Feb 28th it said there is a class scheduled for fall of this year. The city is trying to get some Federal money to pay for it.
    For anyone who wants the article here references a class in the fall...

    http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2...0108/902280363

    In reality the city needs to do another class this year and 2 next year to be prepared for the large amounts of retirements in 2011. But money makes the world go round...

  15. #265
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    12

    Default

    The current list for Cincinnati is only good for one year because not enough minorities made the list. This is almost the exact case about New Haven, CT's Firefighters that is going before the Supreme Court. There was no reason the City of Cincinnati should waste all the tax payers money on putting on another testing process just to meet quotas, not to mention the reverse discrimination against all the people on the current list. I think we have an excellent case to fight with the Firefighters in New Haven, CT.

  16. #266
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    126

    Default

    Go for it, the city presently is looking at cutting 5% immediately and more next year. One option was cutting 9 companies from the department. That is a lot more than 5% and probably wouldn't happen but worst case scenario it does, that's about 140 people laid off.

    Also I have done some research on the DROP and how many retirees there are. Even though everyone throws out the number 100 in January 2011, by what I can tell its more around 30-40. There are not that many people on the department that had enough time to retire in 2003 and enter the drop. So not to ruin anyone's hope but I had posted earlier the 100 number because that's what I was told. That just isn't the case.

    I would almost guarantee they cut some companies which may make hiring a lot off this list difficult.

  17. #267
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    3

    Default

    Any word on the Cinci hiring process with all the budget issues going on?

  18. #268
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    74

    Default

    Looks like they are going to be laying off
    http://www.wcpo.com/news/local/story...0OMxJRGRA.cspx

  19. #269
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    126

    Default

    I would say there is a 100% chance that no one is hired from this list and possibly never finish this hiring process.

    However many they layoff, they will call them back before they ever hire anyone.

  20. #270
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    26

    Default

    CarnyTheKid:

    In reality the city needs to do another class this year and 2 next year to be prepared for the large amounts of retirements in 2011. But money makes the world go round...

    I would say there is a 100% chance that no one is hired from this list and possibly never finish this hiring process.
    However many they layoff, they will call them back before they ever hire anyone.



    With the recent talks about layoffs, where would that leave the candidates that are going through the process currently. Will they still complete the testing and create a new eligible list for a future class or would they do away with it all together?

  21. #271
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CarnyTheKid View Post
    I would say there is a 100% chance that no one is hired from this list and possibly never finish this hiring process.

    However many they layoff, they will call them back before they ever hire anyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by CarnyTheKid View Post
    For anyone who wants the article here references a class in the fall...

    http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2...0108/902280363

    In reality the city needs to do another class this year and 2 next year to be prepared for the large amounts of retirements in 2011. But money makes the world go round...



    Would this also impact those candidates going thru the testing process right now that applied/tested in 09? Will they still be creating a new eligible list or due to the potential lay offs will they do away with the current testing process all together?

  22. #272
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    26

    Default

    Does this impact the candidates that applied in 09 and are currently going thru the process? Will they continue on with the process and create a new eligible list or will they do away with the testing all together?

  23. #273
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    26

    Default

    sorry about the multiple posts....must have been a delay

  24. #274
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    126

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by runner32 View Post
    CarnyTheKid:

    In reality the city needs to do another class this year and 2 next year to be prepared for the large amounts of retirements in 2011. But money makes the world go round...

    I would say there is a 100% chance that no one is hired from this list and possibly never finish this hiring process.
    However many they layoff, they will call them back before they ever hire anyone.



    With the recent talks about layoffs, where would that leave the candidates that are going through the process currently. Will they still complete the testing and create a new eligible list for a future class or would they do away with it all together?
    Actually there are no large amounts of people leaving in 2011. If you talk to most FFs on CFD they believe there are over 100 that leave that year. In reality there are only 35. I will explain. In 1975 the CFD had layoffs that took until 1980 to hire everyone back. Therefore the only ones who were eligible to DROP in 2011 were the ones hired in 1975 or brought back by 1978. There are presently only 25-35 of those people left on the department. The large hires started again in 1980. This meant those FFs were eligible to enter the DROP in 2005 and can stay until 2013. So no they do not need that many classes. 35 spots can easily be cut through attrition if the city wanted to do so.

    As far as this current test I don't know what they will do. To save money they should stop the test. Or they could finish it and use it for the next time they are able to hire instead of starting a whole process over again. But that is up to the city. I don't want to give anyone false hope as I really don't know what they will do with this test. The city manager almost guarantees layoffs in 2010. If any are FFs, they will be hired back before anyone is hired from this list.

  25. #275
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    26

    Default

    Hey Carny,

    Thanks for the info. Would this be the case if the city decides to go with plan A. I checked on the website and it looks like plan B would have them doing away with 9 stations and laying off over 105 firefighters. Looks like plan A requires less of a cut, removing a couple ambulances. Just curious how this might pan out due to the fact that I think I scored pretty well and am moving forward with the oral board.

    Thanks for all the info

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Charlotte Fire Department 2008
    By TED1435 in forum Hiring & Employment Discussion
    Replies: 101
    Last Post: 01-28-2009, 12:28 AM
  2. Arlington County, VA - February 2008 Exam
    By jremNY in forum Hiring & Employment Discussion
    Replies: 93
    Last Post: 01-25-2009, 10:31 PM
  3. 2008 Dallas Texas Exam
    By dmfireschool in forum Hiring & Employment Discussion
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 04-15-2008, 10:47 PM
  4. Cincinnati,Ohio Exam Prep
    By dmfireschool in forum Hiring & Employment Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-20-2006, 07:40 AM
  5. Cincinnati Fire Swap Meet & Antique Fire Engine Show
    By Box2565 in forum Meet and Greet
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-08-2001, 02:07 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register