Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Forum Member

Post Tiller v Mid Mount

My company is about to replace it's 135' RM E-ONE ladder. Sonce E-One dosent make it anymore we have narrowed the decisions down to TDA's and MM Towers. Looking for pros and cons of both. Thanks
    It takes a little intelligence to enjoy humor,satire & wit, but none to be offended by it.

It take more than a new Leather Helmet to make you a good officer

Forum Member

Tiller
    Easier to maneuver.
    Requires two operator.
    Tons of compartment space.
    More moving parts.
    Not normally equipped with pump or tank.
    Less expensive than mid-mount.

Mid-Mount
    Better for elevated streams.
    No need to train tiller operator.
    Easier to ft with pump and tank.
    Can operate independently as a quint if necessary.
    Platform offers versatility.
    1000# ladder rating.

For starters.

Is this really a Tiller vs. A MM query, or a STICK vs a BUCKET query?

Two completely different animals, with two sets of completely different operating theories, tactics, and mindsets. Once you figure out what you want, there's the answer to your vehicle's make-up.

And what is a TDA? That sounds like an anal-retentive chief from the west coast!
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

T ractor D rawn A erial . I gotta explain everything to you? Nissan fixed yet? 10 weeks to the second coming(I'm not talking Christ here)hehe T.C.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    T ractor D rawn A erial . I gotta explain everything to you? Nissan fixed yet? 10 weeks to the second coming(I'm not talking Christ here)hehe T.C.
    Rescue101, thanks for enlightening FWD. Thought we were going to have to call 807 to set him straight

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post

Two completely different animals, with two sets of completely different operating theories, tactics, and mindsets. Once you figure out what you want, there's the answer to your vehicle's make-up.
    I agree in general. The first questions are: What do I want this truck to do and where will it be required to do it? A water tower or an aerial ladder, tight narrow urban streets or in a more suburban landscape?

They are two different animals, and department's usually use tend to stick with one or the other. Dallas is one notable exception.

Don't believe Rescue101, TDA is a new acronym from your "favorite" manufacturer to the northwest:

T- Totally
    D- Dysfunctional
    A- Apparatus

C6

MembersZone Subscriber

Smile

I'm stayin' out of this one!

Forum Member

I should know better too, but I have to learn lessons the hard way.

C6

Some Guy

Tiller, Tiller, Tiller, Tiller, Tiller, Tiller, Tiller, Tiller, Tiller, Tiller, Tiller, Tiller, Tiller, Tiller, Tiller, Tiller, Tiller, Tiller, Tiller, Tiller, Tiller, Tiller, Tiller, Tiller, Tiller, Tiller, Tiller, Tiller, Tiller, Tiller, Tiller, Tiller, Tiller, Tiller, Tiller, Tiller, Tiller, Tiller, Tiller, Tiller, Tiller, Tiller, Tiller, Tiller, Tiller, Tiller, Tiller, Tiller, Tiller, Tiller, Tiller, Tiller, Tiller, Tiller, Tiller, Tiller, Tiller, Tiller, Tiller, Tiller, Tiller, Tiller, Tiller, Tiller, Tiller, Tiller, Tiller

... because I like them and think they are cool.

Sorry Redbarron, I have to be honest. I did every thing I could to sway the captain and chief to get a tiller.
    This space for rent

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by KyleWickman View Post
    Tiller, Tiller, Tiller, Tiller, Tiller, Tiller, Tiller, Tiller, Tiller, Tiller, Tiller, Tiller, Tiller, Tiller, Tiller, Tiller, Tiller, Tiller, Tiller, Tiller, Tiller, Tiller, Tiller, Tiller, Tiller, Tiller, Tiller, Tiller, Tiller, Tiller, Tiller, Tiller, Tiller, Tiller, Tiller, Tiller, Tiller, Tiller, Tiller, Tiller, Tiller, Tiller, Tiller, Tiller, Tiller, Tiller, Tiller, Tiller, Tiller, Tiller, Tiller, Tiller, Tiller, Tiller, Tiller, Tiller, Tiller, Tiller, Tiller, Tiller, Tiller, Tiller, Tiller, Tiller, Tiller, Tiller, Tiller
    Just so I have this right:

You prefer a tiller?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RoofTopTrucky View Post
    My company is about to replace it's 135' RM E-ONE ladder. Sonce E-One dosent make it anymore we have narrowed the decisions down to TDA's and MM Towers. Looking for pros and cons of both. Thanks
    So, I ran this through babblefish to get the translation. It is as follows:
    "I was really bored and thought I would stop by here and stir the pot good then sit back and watch the fun."

At least it isn't a brand name argument...........yet.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    All the manufacturers who make tillers (that I'm aware of) and every tiller I've ever seen are straight sticks.

Has a manufacturer ever made a tiller tower/platform?

Has anyone ever seen a tiller tower/platform?
    Last edited by ChiefSquirrel; 02-20-2008 at 04:10 PM.

Let's talk fire trucks! BoxAlarm187's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefSquirrel View Post
    All the manufacturers who make tillers (that I'm aware of) and every tiller I've ever seen are straight sticks.

Sutphen made a one-off tower tiller in the mid-to-late 1990's. Only one was ever made, and it now sits in pieces behind one of their manufacturing facilities. It was kind of a neat concept, I was there when it was debuted at FRI. Created quite a few comments and quizzical looks.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefSquirrel View Post

SUTPHEN tried something back in the late 80's, early 90's. It involved the "bucket" (which had glass panels for obvious reasons) coming down and becoming part of the "tiller cage" when in the stowed position. There were numerous engineering problems with it, including the roof, the doors, the floor, the waterway, etc. Only one demonstrator was produced, none were sold, and I understand it currently sits out behind the plant rotting away. Somewhere online I have seen a scanned brochure of it, lemme see if I can dig it up.

Now, as for the rest of you clowns in the peanut gallery out there- since I was 16 years old, I have been buffing some of the busiest firefighting units in the world, in New York City, Newark NJ, Philadelphia Pa, Baltimore Md, the list goes on and on......Never, not once, have I ever heard anyone even remotely associated with any of these fine organizations mention a "Tee Dee Ayy." I have, however heard a Batallion Chief in Philly scream at the top of his lungs "GET THAT FOOKING TILLER ON THAT CORNER AND GET THAT EXPOSURE!!!!" I have also been asked by a fellow buff "Hey did you get a picture of 147's new TILLER yet?"

Imagine you are a firefighter at any of the above locations. You are at roll call at 0800 or 1800. The Captain has his clipboard, points at you and says "You got the Tractor-Drawn-Aerial-Rear-Steering seat." You would look at him like he was nuts!

The only person I have ever heard refer to a TILLER as a "Tee Dee Ayy" is some hawiian-shirt wearing moron from Phoenix, Az. I am sure that those tofu and goat-cheese salad eating hippies in California probably call them that also.

Take the term "Tee Dee Ayy" and stick it up your Ayy Ess Ess!

Rant off!
    Last edited by FWDbuff; 02-20-2008 at 04:29 PM.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Sam, I think someone needs their meds readjusted.
    "Share your knowledge - it's a way to achieve immortality." - Stolen from Chase Sargent's Buddy to Boss program

Let's talk fire trucks! BoxAlarm187's Avatar

Uh oh, I better tell all the boys down here in the Old Dominion to stop using "tiller" and "TDA" interchangeably.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by npfd801 View Post
    Sam, I think someone needs their meds readjusted.
    I'll tell Star, I'm sure she'll have something to contribute.

Well, see, there you go Buff,you're buffing on the WRONG coast!If you was buffing in tuppywareville(left coast)you would know tillers as TDA's.Particularly in the L.A. area.Now about that Nissan? Still speedshifting or did you get a skinny fook to hook up the other end of the wire?I can picture that Philly BC just as vividly as if I were standing there,what a hoot! You might speak a little more kindly of Bruno,after all he's made more money than you,Sam and I together.So who's the DA here? T.C.

Baron,you eat some bad fruit or sumthin'? Not like you to back off from a good time.Where you hidin' this week? T.C.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by chiefengineer11 View Post
    I'll tell Star, I'm sure she'll have something to contribute.
    S/W Star (Mrs. Buff, RN) and Sandy (Mrs. CE11, RN aka "Mom"). They agree that there are several known effective courses of therapy for this condition. However, none of them are socially acceptable. Perhaps the contents of a sign at his work desk will provide some insight.

"Arguing with the Building Inspector is like mud wrestling with a pig. Sooner or later you realize that the pig enjoys it."

Thread Information