Training Officer

Default Do you have FETN and does it work?

Ok, I did a search and did not find exactly what I'm looking for....so don't bust me if I missed something. I'm looking into FETN video on demand subscription to assist with training our members. I would like to talk with other training officers/coordinators (what ever you're called) and see how it is working into your system. Currently, I deliver 2 hour training sessions each weekday morning (some classroom, some hands-on). I would like to see how others are working it into their system and also if you like or don't like it.
    Is that clear as mud?

Forum Member

Default Fetn

I used to work for a department that had FETN, and it was great. Our crews watched it almost daily. The way it works (as I understand it), is they have a 12 hour block of programs that run 2 times a day. This is repeated for 3 days (A, B, C shifts). So each shift you worked you were able to catch different topics. If I remember right, the programs rotated at least twice a month. There is also an Admin function that allows you to log on to their web site and take tests to recieve CE's for certain topics. It gives the student a certificate, and also allowed the Training Officer to track CE hours through the website. I personally enjoyed it, although I had nothing to do with the membership, fees, etc for it. As far as a training tool, it was great.
    The only person who does not screw up, is the person who does not do anything.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Did you ever get any more about FETN

I am looking at this (FETN) also. Did you get anymore information?

Default Re: FETN

I'd be cautious here. One of my neighbor departments uses FETN and from what we understand the company is taking a turn away from their EMS and Fire content. I guess they recently let go almost 60% of their staff too - http://biz.yahoo.com/e/080423/twlo.ob8-k.html

I recently met a group that the NFPA and IAFC are partnered with but I cant think of their name. They did an online training grant recently. I read about it on this board and I know some people have been having some success with them. I know they only do online training though. I'll get back when I find the name of the group.

Default Re: FETN

MembersZone Subscriber

Default FETN Out of Business?

Perhaps it is only a rumor, but I heard FETN has closed its doors. The website is still up, but we are downloading our records just in case. I called the customer service line and was told that our salesperson was unavailable and that they were going through a "difficult transition". The receptionist said she could not elaborate further.

Anyone else know what is going on?

Mike Linkins
    Deputy Chief
    Polk County Fire Services
    www.polkfl.com/fire

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Unable to Contact FETN

My department finally decided to go with the FETN VOD Service. I tried calling my sales person and his "mailbox is full". I tried other phone numbers from the web site and have been unable to contact anyone in the company. I just get full mailboxes or a dead line. It appears to me they have abruptly closed their doors.

MembersZone Subscriber

The web site is still running but I downloaded my departments records just in case it shuts down. We are in year three of a five year contract and just paid the $2500 annual subscription a few weeks ago. Looks like I have a bunch of phone calls to make tomorrow.
    -------------------
    "The most mediocre man or woman can suddenly seem dynamic, forceful, and decisive if he or she is mean enough." from "Crazy Bosses"
    -----------------------------------------------
    Genius has its limits, but stupidity is boundless.

MembersZone Subscriber

The stock is trading at 0.017, five years ago is was $15. Looks like they are all done. http://biz.yahoo.com/e/080930/twlo.ob8-k.html

From the article:

On September 29, 2008, after review of the Company's operations, the Board of Directors of the Company determined by unanimous consent that the Company will no longer be able to continue ongoing business operations. Further, it was determined that the Company will not be able to file its Annual Report on Form 10-K for the year ended June 30, 2008 The Company is exploring wind-down options, including filing for bankruptcy protection and the possible sale of assets.
    -------------------
    "The most mediocre man or woman can suddenly seem dynamic, forceful, and decisive if he or she is mean enough." from "Crazy Bosses"
    -----------------------------------------------
    Genius has its limits, but stupidity is boundless.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

Quote Originally Posted by KenNFD1219 View Post
    On September 29, 2008, after review of the Company's operations, the Board of Directors of the Company determined by unanimous consent that the Company will no longer be able to continue ongoing business operations. Further, it was determined that the Company will not be able to file its Annual Report on Form 10-K for the year ended June 30, 2008 The Company is exploring wind-down options, including filing for bankruptcy protection and the possible sale of assets.

That's a shame, I was seriously considering signing us up for it. Question is now, is there any other similar service out there that anyone knows of? Satellite based or web based? Or does anyone think someone might buy up FETN and get it operational again?
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream and I hope you don't find this too crazy is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

MembersZone Subscriber

We are looking hard at Target Safety. I was just at the NFA and spoke to several other departments who were considering the switch as well.

It seems to be a different set-up from FETN, but my guys like the record-keeping interface much better. We are still in a demo period and the jury is still out, but I'll let you know what we decide. They are coming on-site in a few weeks for a follow-up meeting since they will be in the area.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default online solution - centrelearn

i participated in a demo with a company called centrelearn solutions. it looks pretty good, exactly what we need for our department. theyre a reputable company, so i doubt they're going down like FETN

i'm going to take it to our next budget meeting for approval, which shouldnt be hard because they're prices are great... you should check it out before you settle on another solution

my demo was with Katie Farmer, their website is www.centrelearn.com and her number was 717-277-4655.

good luck

Thread Information