Thread: Union

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Union

Hey all,
    I'm a full-time guy on a dept with one other full time guy, we are looking at hiring another person. I want to go union, any ideas to get the others to go? Im not sure how the other guy feels about it and when the new guy gets hired, I don't want to try to start one and it not work out and I get in trouble or fired.
    Thanks,
    Josh

Forum Member

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firefighter6991 View Post
    Hey all,
    I'm a full-time guy on a dept with one other full time guy, we are looking at hiring another person. I want to go union, any ideas to get the others to go? Im not sure how the other guy feels about it and when the new guy gets hired, I don't want to try to start one and it not work out and I get in trouble or fired.
    Thanks,
    Josh
    I would bring it up in a casual conversation to get a feel for what they think... and like geinandputitout posted.. contact the IAFF.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Thumbs up

I'd contact your IAFF district rep to get some help. He'll have a ton of info and advise. Your not the first guy to travel down this road, thus learn from others mistakes..and your district rep will be the guy with the answers. If you don't know who your rep is, contact a local unionized local. They should be able to put you in touch with the proper people.

Just be ready for a suggestion that you might be asked to consolidate your new union with a larger already established union. Power is in numbers and a small union of 3 is difficult at best. We've had a few smaller depts around here try to orgainize and ended up consolidating with a neighboring established local. So far that seems to be working out great.

Hope this helps.

JD

Thread Information