Thread: Pattstrap?

Forum Member

Default Pattstrap?

Anyone ever use one of these to beat ITBS?

Im border-line desperate to shake this ugly and recently recurrent knee pain. I have a little bit of time, but I cant NOT be able to run come summer.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default ITBS... what I would do...

In my view, ITBS is due to an imbalance in musculature in the hip and knee complex. I go after this kind of thing from several directions:
    In office care, 3 times a week:
    1. Ultrasound on the whole length of the muscle/tendon, from hip, down just below the knee. 5 minutes, 2.0 continuous.
    2. cross friction massage down on the lateral side of the knee.
    3. Stripping fascial massage along the length of the muscle from the knee all the way up to the illiac spine.
    4. Active release technique for the gluts.
    5. Ultrasound again, 2.0, continuous 5 minutes.
    5. Ice: mainly down by the knee, as that's where the deepest, toughest work takes place.

Homework:

I have my people do this 3 times per week. Done ever after, it helps maintain muscluar balance of the area.

1. Warm up with 8-20 minutes of light bike work. This does a couple of things. It warms up the area, and second, it works the medial quad, when running really works mostly the outside of the leg. Biking is something you should continue for 20 minutes 3 times a week, even after you are better, to keep you more balanced!

2. Leg extensions in the last 15 degrees of extension. I do this because this part of the range of motion employs the medial quad. ITBS is an indication that the lateral part of the quad and the outside of the leg has musculature that is too tight and imbalanced in relation to the medial parts. Be careful not to slam the leg into hyper extension. Do 3 sets of 10, light weight.

3. Hamstring curls. Hamstring curls are essential for maintaining balance in this area. Do at least 3 sets of 8. Go light while you are still hurting.

4. Adductor Work: They have these machines in the gym, and they look kind of silly to use, but they serve their purpose. You sit, with pads between your knees. There is a weight stack in front. The action is, slowly resist as the weight lowers, and squeeze on a count of 3. Start light, 3 sets of 20. Use maybe 50 lbs.? It depends... this should not irritate your problem.

4. Foam Roller. Lots of gyms have them. Lie, injured side down, and roll up and down along the length of the ITB, 5 minutes. It won't feel good. Bare with me.

5. Find a Theraball that is about knee height. Use it to stretch. Stretch. This is a hard area to stretch, and tough to explain. Lie, opposite hip down, on a ball. You injured side should be up. Try to relax your upper body, into a sideways arch, with your arms on the floor...over your headů on your side, but bent over a ball. Your bad side foot should be slightly forward of the other. You should feel a stretch in the ITB on the up-side. 5 minutes.

OK. So, I would do all of it if I wanted someone to get better really fast. Long term, the homework needs to be done on an ongoing basis, or the problem will come back!

Hope this helps!!!

Dr. Jen
    www.fireagility.com

MembersZone Subscriber

If you have faulty pelvic mechanics you'll have a lot of trouble getting rid of ITB pain on your own. Stretching alone won't probably won't do it.

I have tried TFL stretching, ice, ultrasound, etc. over the outside of the knee with little success. That's because the problem is not at the insertion in the knee - that's just where the pain is!

The problem is higher up at the TFL & Glute Max. The Gluteus Maximus is often overlooked as a major contributor to ITB Syndrome. Start stretching your glutes as opposed to just the TFL or IT Band.

Also:

If your pelvis is anteriorly rotated you have to address that.
    Jog in water with a flotation vest...stop all running.
    Stretch the Glutes and TFL muscles.
    Hip abductor weakness seems to contribute to the development of iliotibial band syndrome. Strengthening of the hip abductors has led to symptom improvement in many people.
    Self-massage over the outside of the thigh, with a foam roller or The Stick. Deep massage of the glutes is also useful but you may have to use a lacrosse ball to get in there.This is not going to feel good!
    Address any potential faulty foot mechanics (pronation), get the right pair of running shoes for your foot.

Goodluck
    JC
    http://www.ultimatefirefighterworkout.blogspot.com

Forum Member

Thank you both. Ive been stretching/not running and havent had any issues with knee pain since the tuesday (the day it popped up).

I have been in a lot of 4-6 floor walk-up apartment buildings, and a few shorter buildings carrying people down on stairchairs, and Id say it feels 90%. It may just be that Im more aware of them, and possibly noticing the stetches working, but Im pleased about that.

Ill be in the gym the next 2 days too to try out a few of the new ideas, and knock off a little rust. Hopefully the Knee will be as ready and willing as I am.

JC, with the Westchester name, I was ready to hit you up for some local places good for running shoe shopping and maybe a running-motion analysis, but then saw you were in Miami...

(slightly envious after yesterdays foot of snow)

MembersZone Subscriber

I feel for you guys in the North with all that snow.

I surfed all morning and it's about 80 now and not a cloud in the sky. That's
    why I live here I suppose.

I highly recommend Westcheter Road Runner in White Plains. They'll do a running motion analysis and set you straight. Ask for Barry.

179 East Post Road
    White Plains, New York 10601
    WestchesterRR@aol.com
    Phone: 914-682-0637
    Fax: 914-949-4166

Read this before you go, in case they try and sell you Cadillac Escalade running shoes...you don't need.

Stay Warm

JC
    http://www.ultimatefirefighterworkout.blogspot.com
    Last edited by westchester47; 02-24-2008 at 11:13 AM.

Forum Member

Thats huge! thank you!

Regarding the cost/construction of shoes, I always thought that might be the case...

Thread Information