MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up Chief acting like a chief

Eveything's fixed and everyone's happy again.
    Last edited by TED1435; 02-23-2008 at 05:26 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TED1435 View Post
    Assistant Chief X came in this morning and told me that I WOULD be wearing the issued helmet or else he'd "make life hard for me", and that's a direct quote. Not sure why a Chief needs to resort to threats, especially over a damn fire helmet. I'm about ready to quit this place.

Just needed to vent a little
    I'm always amazed at these power plays that go on in volunteer organizations. If I were you I'd take my helmet and go home, or find another FD that appreciates your willingness to serve. This chief doesn't.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

Gone.

The Assistant Chief has no say, the Chief does. Talk to the Chief, if he says it's ok, then it's ok. If your ***. Chief continues to raise hell, ignore him. Just because he has command on the fire ground doesn't mean he does over your paid command. If they say it's ok, then it's ok. If he continues to threaten you, file a grievance, or file harassment.
    Last edited by Hexxus; 02-21-2008 at 10:15 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up Paid Supervisor > Volunteer Chief

I win :-)

My Volunteer Assistant Chief (who is the ex-fire chief and the supervisor of the paid personnel) just called me. He told me to continue wearing my fire helmet.

I agree wholeheartedly, since I didn't want a $200 wall ornament.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Spoke too soon

Not 15 minutes after I posted, that ******* called up here and argued with me about "why I went to the fire chief over this" blah blah blah. This is the dumbest argument over. I'm going to wear the issued helmet.

I have no respect for this man.

Forum Member

I don't understand any of your posts. One time my nephew's cousin's best friend's dad's uncle told me soemthing but I don't remember what it was.

Forum Member

Hey all. I am currently a full time Engineer for a county fire department. I staff a volunteer station. That being said, I have a paid chain of command, and a volunteer chain of command.
    I think we were just discussing this very situation on another recent thread. What a screwed up situation in which to work.

Forum Member

It all started when I bought a leather helmet for use on duty. I got permission from my volunteer supervisor to wear it. When Chief X, who issues our gear,
    Let me see if I have this right. On your own, without prior Department approval, you went out and bought your own helmet. Now, the guy in charge of issuing equipment has a problem with what you did.

Are you looking for us to agree with what you did?
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Since you are essentially asking for advice by posting in an internet forum. I'll give you some for future reference.

If you purchase non-approved PPE without speaking to staff, don't be surprised if the paper work that you receive in your file resembles a small North Carolina Forest.

Also, be prepared to write letters that start with the following lines,

"Dear Chief, No one was more surprised than I............"

"Dear Chief, Many things have changed since we last spoke...."

"Dear Chief, You were right..................."

"Dear Chief, I'm sorry I offended your sensibilities................"

Back In Black

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post
    Let me see if I have this right. On your own, without prior Department approval, you went out and bought your own helmet. Now, the guy in charge of issuing equipment has a problem with what you did.

Are you looking for us to agree with what you did?
    Yep, I agree with Bones on this one. We don't allow unapproved equipment. Generally if you want your own turnout pants to wear from home in the middle of the night, we'll let you buy approved pants. Gloves..okay, as long as they are approved.

Something like a helmet, we want a uniform appearance on the fireground. We would also not allow a non-issued helmet.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

MembersZone Subscriber

It is an approved helmet.

I have approval from my supervisor, who is an Assistant Chief at the volunteer station, to wear any helmet that I purchase, as long as it meets NFPA standards.

The chief in charge of issuing gear is the one who has a problem with it, and he's the only one. This chief, Chief X, is NOT in my chain of command unless he is Command on a Fire Scene. Otherwise, The Fire Chief and my Supervisor Assistant Chief are the only Chain of Command we have on a day to day basis on the volunteer side. I also have approval from my Supervisor on the Paid Side of the Chain of Command, who is the Assistant Chief of Suppression for the county department that I work for.

I know this must be confusing, and it is. Hopefully I wont be at this place of employmeny for long though.
    Last edited by TED1435; 02-21-2008 at 03:46 PM.

Back In Black

This chief, Chief X, is NOT in my chain of command unless he is Command on a Fire Scene.

Hopefully I wont be at this place of employmeny for long though.

Then if you don't have a problem manning the hydrant or picking up all the hose on scene, then wear it. On another note, I'd keep your location on the down low...no sense aggravating the situation further!

Or, sounds like the problem will auto-correct when you find a new place.

Sucks, but such is life.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

MembersZone Subscriber

Yup. It doesnt matter, everywhere has problems though. I think I'm going to sell it...anyone want to buy a very slightly (in service less than a month, no fire action) Red 880 Tradition with Bourkes? haha

MembersZone Subscriber
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

Yup. It doesnt matter, everywhere has problems though. I think I'm going to sell it...anyone want to buy a very slightly (in service less than a month, no fire action) Red 880 Tradition with Bourkes? haha

No. I just wear whatever my department buys. I've always thought going out and dropping 500 clams out of my own pocket when my department issues me a perfectly serviceable helmet is a bit silly.

Let the flaming begin....
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream and I hope you don't find this too crazy is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dmleblanc View Post
    No. I just wear whatever my department buys. I've always thought going out and dropping 500 clams out of my own pocket when my department issues me a perfectly serviceable helmet is a bit silly.

im with ya

Back In Black

Quote Originally Posted by dmleblanc View Post

I also agree... i've worn them all and don't really care.

MembersZone Subscriber

Smile Alright

My supervisor talked to the chief, and everything has been worked out.

Some Guy

Still waiting for approval on this.

This space for rent

MembersZone Subscriber

. I talked to one of my Paid Captains (who coincidentally is a volunteer Assistant Chief at the station) and we all had a sit down talk.

Um. Just a quick question here.

Whether right or wrong, I can understand being a paid officer at station x and being a volunteer chief at station y two towns over.

Whether right or wrong, I can understand being a paid ff at station x and being a volunteer officer at station y two towns over.

But how can you be a paid captain and a volunteer chief in the SAME house.

Honestly, I did not understand 99.9% of that post.

Yes, in Va Beach they issue Bullard salad bowls. Yes you have the option to purchase one of 3 non salad bowls. The Bullard UST-6 (plastic traditional), the N6A, or the Paul Conway leather helmet.

If as I think I understand your post, you did not have all your apples in a row prior to purchasing an expansive helmet...I am sad to report that you will find sympathy somewhere between sh*t and syphilis
    Last edited by DocVBFDE14; 02-21-2008 at 08:37 PM. Reason: cleared up something
    Co 11
    Virginia Beach FD

Amateurs practice until they get it right; professionals practice until they cannot get it wrong. Which one are you?

'The fire went out and nobody got hurt' is a poor excuse for a fireground critique.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs up Hmmmmm..........

Coupla Points..... I am NOT trying to be a smart azz with this, BUT, If you don't work/Volunteer in a Combination system there is no way that you'll understand those of us who do.

On the Helmet thing, If the Department does not have a regulation in place requiring a certain helmet be used, then you use what you want. I fully support Ted here, and it certainly seems that the one Chief has his head up his behind on this matter.

On buying your own gear, I currently own Four Carins 1010s, A Pacific Rescue Helmet, and Two Bullard Wildland Helmets that are in service in one place or another. Collectors items suitable for hanging on the wall include a Aluminum lid from the early 1960s, Four leathers, (all New Yorkers) and a few Metros, along with a couple of Rescue and wildland lids as well.

Local rules in this area allow purchasing/using your own Boots and Helmets, (from a list of approved items) and most of us do.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by KyleWickman View Post
    Still waiting for approval on this.

I've got one just like that! But I can't wear it - we don't have that rank...

Forum Member

My old vollie department allowed PODA gear(personally owned,department approved).The folks that can't or don't want to buy their own lids could wear the issue stuff or they could wear their own as long as it met NFPA standards and could take the department shield on the front.You either have Bullard "Tactical Tupperware"in red or blue(proby members)or you can wear the traditional type leather helmets.If you bought your own at a fire school vendor show or from a catalog,you had to turn in the issued gear that it was to replace.This avoided the image of having a working set and a dress set of turnouts and freed up a turnout set for a new member.Just saying what my old department did and not that everyone should go that route.
    It seemed to me that the guys that bought their own gear took better care of it than those who didn't.I wasn't one to roll around in the overhaul pile or put my helmet in the oven to make my gear look seasoned but I knew guys that did.
    Most of the guys and gals that had laid out the green for helmets and the like made sure that it was in good condition.They didn't have an option as often as we who wore issue to say"Hey LT,my bunker pants/boots/gloves/hood have a rip in 'em.Can I snag a new pair outta the closet?"
    Maybe I missed the line where he said that it was unapproved.(least I haven't read all the posts yet)It could be that the *** .Chief was trying to assert authority where it didn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefKN View Post
    Yep, I agree with Bones on this one. We don't allow unapproved equipment. Generally if you want your own turnout pants to wear from home in the middle of the night, we'll let you buy approved pants. Gloves..okay, as long as they are approved.
    Something like a helmet, we want a uniform appearance on the fireground. We would also not allow a non-issued helmet.
    Last edited by doughesson; 02-23-2008 at 12:42 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool 10-4

Everything's fixed now. There was confusion between white hats on what policy was on purchasing helmets, and everyone's on the same page and on good terms.

See what happens when we all play nice together?

Thread Information