MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Default RCMP knocked, announced their presence -- then blared a police siren

Police blare siren in reaction to ruling

Kim Bolan, Canwest News Service Published: Thursday, February 21, 2008

VANCOUVER -- Police made sure they were both seen and heard before battering their way into a million-dollar Surrey residence that housed a 1,600-plant grow-op this week.

RCMP knocked, announced their presence -- then blared a police siren.

The tactic was in reaction to a B.C. Supreme Court ruling this month in which the judge criticized police for not giving enough warning to a pot grower before breaking down his door. ?????

Justice Catherine Bruce dismissed the charges against Van Dung Cao -- found with 700 pot plants -- because police waited only two minutes after knocking before using a battering ram on his side door.

The ruling left police flabbergasted and wondering what more they need to do when executing a search warrant on suspected drug houses.

So this week, they arrived in a marked police car, knocked and announced their arrival, then turned on the police siren before entering. The loud warning seemed to alert the residents, said RCMP Sgt. Roger Morrow.

The occupants, two Asian males and one woman, were found hiding in the attic, having pulled a step ladder up behind them after accessing a hole in the ceiling."

Police did not release their names.

Times Colonist (Victoria) 2008

GIVE ME A FREAK'N BREAK MADAM JUSTICE!
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Badgerland FOOL

Good thing some one is looking out for those poor struggling souls just trying to earn a little extra cash by running an illegal grow operation.

Gotta love that Canadian Mountie spirit though....

Back In Black

I agree with the Judge..

BRING BACK THE WARNING SHOT!

LOL
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Dispatch Dweller
    On the way to the station. Really. It's 12 kilometers away and there's traffic.

This is the same city, for what it's worth, that recently enacted a law forbidding fire trucks from "blaring" sirens at night..
    --jay.

Forum Member

Next time maybe they should give them a call first.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MalahatTwo7 View Post
    Police blare siren in reaction to ruling

Kim Bolan, Canwest News Service Published: Thursday, February 21, 2008

VANCOUVER -- Police made sure they were both seen and heard before battering their way into a million-dollar Surrey residence that housed a 1,600-plant grow-op this week.

RCMP knocked, announced their presence -- then blared a police siren.

The tactic was in reaction to a B.C. Supreme Court ruling this month in which the judge criticized police for not giving enough warning to a pot grower before breaking down his door. ?????

Justice Catherine Bruce dismissed the charges against Van Dung Cao -- found with 700 pot plants -- because police waited only two minutes after knocking before using a battering ram on his side door.

The ruling left police flabbergasted and wondering what more they need to do when executing a search warrant on suspected drug houses.

So this week, they arrived in a marked police car, knocked and announced their arrival, then turned on the police siren before entering. The loud warning seemed to alert the residents, said RCMP Sgt. Roger Morrow.

The occupants, two Asian males and one woman, were found hiding in the attic, having pulled a step ladder up behind them after accessing a hole in the ceiling."

Police did not release their names.

Times Colonist (Victoria) 2008

GIVE ME A FREAK'N BREAK MADAM JUSTICE!
    Come on Mal, what else could she do? That bloke was her supplier...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefKN View Post
    I agree with the Judge..
    BRING BACK THE WARNING SHOT!
    LOL
    Chief, isn't the warning shot the last one you fire? Even if you have to reload to fire it?

MembersZone Subscriber

On your Mark...

GET SET...

SHOOT US!!!!

Every tac team in the province is collectively going WTF??!!
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mcaldwell View Post
    On your Mark...

GET SET...

SHOOT US!!!!

Every tac team in the province is collectively going WTF??!!
    No joke, that is exactly what will happen. Maybe once enough die they will reverse that ruling. I'm sorry for the guys this law affects, there jobs are dangerous enough when the bad guys don't know their coming now they have plenty of warning to load up.

Forum Member

Hmm. I could swear that around here the building is entered, cleared, and the occupants are in the back seat of the car within two minutes.

If you hear "[knock knock] POLICE DEPARTMENT, SEARCH WARRANT!" and you say "huh?", you'll need a new door.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

Who cares how long they wait? Keep kicking the doors in, boys. Not like they're getting the plants back!!!

Forum Member

wow, I think in the U.S. you only have to knock an wait a few seconds before forcing entry. Two minutes is excessive. I could flush my drugs and load my gun in that time. Pure idiocy

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by emt161 View Post
    Who cares how long they wait? Keep kicking the doors in, boys. Not like they're getting the plants back!!!
    So they don't destroy evidence, make a run for it, set booby traps, set the place on fire, OR LOAD THEIR GUNS AND SHOOT AT THE COPS!

The whole idea of serving a search warrant is surprise!! Yeah, good thinking alright to give the bad guys as much notice as possible to prepare for a battle! What a MUTT!!!!
    Last edited by Dickey; 02-24-2008 at 05:36 AM.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

FIGJAM

For many years the Police here were criticised for shooting first, then announcing their intentions
    Luke

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dickey View Post
    So they don't destroy evidence, make a run for it, set booby traps, set the place on fire, OR LOAD THEIR GUNS AND SHOOT AT THE COPS!

The whole idea of serving a search warrant is surprise!! Yeah, good thinking alright to give the bad guys as much notice as possible to prepare for a battle! What a MUTT!!!!
    Ok, we have a communication problem here. My tone/words didn't translate correctly in print, and you CLEARLY need to go take your meds.

What I meant is that kicking the door in in two seconds or two minutes is obviously going to get the same result- the case is tossed.

However, the drugs, guns, cash, etc are off the streets. That's a victory in my book.

So I encourage the Mounties to get inside the house however hey damn well please, and tell the judge to go @#$% himself if he doesn't like how they did it.

Badgerland FOOL

Mal, Do you know if Canada or its Provinces allow for a "no knock" warrant?

Basically, when the police request the warrant they also ask permission to make an unannouncned entry. This is used a lot in suspected drug houses, grow operations etc where announcing police presence could allow for escape, destruction of evidence or undue risk to officers serving the warrant. The state of Wisconsin allows it and I would guess most other US states do as well, just curious. Thanks!!

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

MV, I have no idea. Never really got too close to the RCMP guys to know what their warrant execution protocols are. Sorry Mate.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Badgerland FOOL

No prob....since you are the closest thing I have to an expert on Canada I figured I'd try you.........Otherwise, if the no-knock option is available I can foresee an increase in requests for them in light of the decision regarding how they must handle a normal warrant. It will be interesting to see if this gets challenged and how that will all play out.

Forum Member

Called my old man after reading this post to get his opinion on this. He's a Cpl. in the RCMP....

The case noted in the original post is currently under appeal.

The RCMP do have "No-Knock" search warrants. They have to justify the no-knock by means of risk to officer safety...beyond reasonable doubt.

No-knock search warrants don't happen often, especially in warrant searches where there is not solid evidence that there is considerable risk to officer safety and well being.

(which in my opinion...every search warrant is a considerable risk to officer safety). However, unfortunately the judges in these parts don't see it that way.

Makes a tough job tougher.
    "You see things and you ask, 'Why'? I dream of things that never were and I say, 'Why not'?

"I used to work in a fire hydrant factory. You couldn't park anywhere near the place."

"When you are kind to someone in trouble, you hope they'll remember and be kind to someone else. And it'll become like a wildfire."

Forum Member

Default Bb&c

Breech....
    Bang.....
    And Clear....

I'd say that "breaching the door with a small amount of c-4 place on the lock mechanism, and a flash bang or 2 definitly lets them know that the police is there.

.....f-in liberals......
    It takes a little intelligence to enjoy humor,satire & wit, but none to be offended by it.

It take more than a new Leather Helmet to make you a good officer

Badgerland FOOL

Quote Originally Posted by CdnFD24 View Post
    Called my old man after reading this post to get his opinion on this. He's a Cpl. in the RCMP....

The case noted in the original post is currently under appeal.

The RCMP do have "No-Knock" search warrants. They have to justify the no-knock by means of risk to officer safety...beyond reasonable doubt.

No-knock search warrants don't happen often, especially in warrant searches where there is not solid evidence that there is considerable risk to officer safety and well being.

(which in my opinion...every search warrant is a considerable risk to officer safety). However, unfortunately the judges in these parts don't see it that way.

Makes a tough job tougher.
    Thanks for the info...sounds like the Canadian standards for a no knock are a little more stringent. In the US, at least in Wisconsin all you need is reasonable suspicion that evidence could be lost, suspects escape or the risk to LEO's is great. I was a cop for a year or so and from what I recall the judges seemed to be pretty generous with the no knocks so long as you had your ducks in a row to prove the need for it. I

I also agree that any warrant could possess a big risk to officer safety...that is why waiting over two minutes is unreasonable. It gives the opportunity to escape or destroy evidence at best and at worst...well others have touched on that. When the cops have already proven the need for a search/arrest warrant they already have legal permission to search the premisis to look for the person/objects listed in the warrants. The knock and announce is just that, the cops knock, identify themselves, give a reasonable amount of time for any response (which should be a matter of seconds and not minutes) and force entry if none is given.

Thread Information