Forum Member

Default Firefighter/Paramedic Training??

Hello everyone and thank you in advance for your replies!

I'm currently employed as a EMT-Basic and volunteer at my local fire department. I'm very interested in making firefighting a career, but there aren't a lot of training opportunities offered in my area. I've been working for 2 years to get all the necessary certifications and training to be hired by full-time departments, but I've made very little headway! I've always wanted to join the military to serve my country, so I'm beginning to think this may be the best option for me.

I would like to know if any branch of the military offers an MOS where I can gain training and certification as a firefighter AND paramedic?? I know most of the branches have a firefighter MOS, but does any of them offer advance certifications or trainings allowing you to become a paramedic as well?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nhadfire View Post
    Hello everyone and thank you in advance for your replies!

I'm currently employed as a EMT-Basic and volunteer at my local fire department. I'm very interested in making firefighting a career, but there aren't a lot of training opportunities offered in my area. I've been working for 2 years to get all the necessary certifications and training to be hired by full-time departments, but I've made very little headway! I've always wanted to join the military to serve my country, so I'm beginning to think this may be the best option for me.

I would like to know if any branch of the military offers an MOS where I can gain training and certification as a firefighter AND paramedic?? I know most of the branches have a firefighter MOS, but does any of them offer advance certifications or trainings allowing you to become a paramedic as well?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!
    ...only if after you have gone through your basic training, basic specialty training, and arrived at your first duty station, post, ship, whatever -- your management allows you to attend a paramedic program at a local college. Then you could be trained as a firefighter/paramedic in the US armed forces.

Thread Information