Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: CAFS or NOT?

Default CAFS or NOT?

We are working on purchasing a new engine. One of the big discussions is to go with CAFS or not too. I am asking for everyone who has purchased a new engine in the past 24 months to respond with which manufacture of truck, if you went with CAFS or not, and why.

Thanks

Forum Member

I have used WS Darley CAFS and I like their understanding of the special CAFS controls needed to flow low volumes of water and high volumes of air to create the best CAFS with accurate ad controlable foam concentrate injection rates needed for the wide range of expansion ratios.
    Mark Cummins

WE have a CAFS truck as well. I have a truck that is not to trust worthy and that is unfortunate. We have a ALF custom truck. The foam sysytem works great (when the truck work or is operable). The price to add CAFS was around or just over 40k though. It was a little bit hard to decide on it. We do use as our # 1 attack line a 2.5 CAFS line for any fire we have. It works awesome. Good luck on making you decision.

Forum Member

Last edited by kuntrykid; 09-11-2008 at 12:11 PM. Reason: Don't want to be a member of these forums, so I deleted my posts.
    My comments do NOT necessarily reflect the opinions of my department, my fellow volunteers, or anyone else with whom I am associated.

MembersZone Subscriber

We are in the process of ordering another pumper and the only item that is not open for discussion is the CAF's We use a Waterous Eclipse 1st due, the lack of water damage, the knockdown ability,the ability to lower the heat FASTER with less water (Palmdale studies),the reach, the coating abilities, the lower surface tension of the water.are a few of the reasons.
    Those who don't want CAF's either do not have it, have not used it or did not receive the proper training in its use.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by captaincvfd View Post
    We are in the process of ordering another pumper and the only item that is not open for discussion is the CAF's We use a Waterous Eclipse 1st due, the lack of water damage, the knockdown ability,the ability to lower the heat FASTER with less water (Palmdale studies),the reach, the coating abilities, the lower surface tension of the water.are a few of the reasons.
    Those who don't want CAF's either do not have it, have not used it or did not receive the proper training in its use.
    Well said.
    Mark Cummins

MembersZone Subscriber JaredMTFD's Avatar

We have two 2004 E-One Typhoon pumpers with CAFS. I'll never be happy with just water again. Wouldn't go back!

Had mobile home fire the other night, 75% involved. Had complete knockdown in about 5 minutes with one handline using CAFS. Didn't even need the tankers.

Thread Information