MembersZone Subscriber

Default DOD Firefighter?

Hey guys I need help. I am looking to join my Fathers DOD Fire Depatment (NAS). I have grown up around the department and know the guys well. I don't think I would have a problem getting into department if my application was fowarded to Chief, but most of the guys are now old timers and they went through a different application process. I hear that it is all about the resume now. Is that true, and if so does anyone have tips, sugestions, or key words that I need to include in my resume. I will have my FF1, FF2, and Hazmat Ops this year and hopefully ARFF all Pro Board certs. I have been a Volunteer FF for five years in TX and PA. I Have over 166 hours in FF training. Also have NREMT-Paramedic. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Patuxent NAS

Just went through the proccess. Its all about your Cert. Number. They proccess by wich they go through is electronic first. Make sure your I's and T are dotted and crossed. You have what you need in certs but the DOD I think only accepts IFSAC. Don't quote me on that. Its not hard to get your curent certs changed if you don't have IFSAC. It just takes a little money.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Ifsac?

I think they will accept the Pro Board Certs but how would I go about making them IFSAC? I am in the process of putting in app. through USA Jobs and Chart.donhr.Navy.mil. Are there any other good sites that I am missing. Also without Military expirence do I really have a chance of getting in with a DOD Fire Department.

MembersZone Subscriber

I go March 10 for my interview & physical agilities test at NAS Pawtuxent River. How quick can I change to the pro baords. I know you said it takes a little money, but do I have time to do it?

MembersZone Subscriber

You already got an interview that is awsome. Good luck man. If you are at the interview stage I am not sure if you need to change your certs. If hired they will probably re train you or help you change them. I am still have not submitted my resume to any locations yet. I am having problems on how to properly word my volunteer and work expirence. I could really use some help with how to word that section of resume.

MembersZone Subscriber

When it came to wording my resume about volunteer experience, I wrote how many years experience I had, the ranks I've held, and all the tasks that I did, like anything you have ever done or learned, such as ladder raising, suppression, overhaul, etc.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for the info. I am going to turn in application next week. Good luck on the interview.

Forum Member

If I were you I would shoot CaptBob a pm. I have read several of his posts on hiring tips. He may give you some really good ideas for your resume. Just an idea good luck.

Forum Member

Default Advice

When you do your resume, the first round is all automated by a computer program (Resumix for example). It scans to look for the "key words" such as your certifications, pulling hose, applying agent, operating nozzles, ...pretty much the same words you see on the federal announcements. However, when you write your resume, DO NOT just cut/paste from an announcement because the second (and third) rounds are done by real people who can tell if a resume was just slapped together from cutting/pasting or is well written with time, thought and effort. Most of the electronic resume rpograms also have word limits, and I strongly recommend you try to fill the blocks up. It is better to have too much info than to think that everyone will know what you are writing about. Remember, the computer weeds first then someone from HRO/CPO weeds second BEFORE any fire chief ever sees it.

Your ProBoard certs are fine for now. If/when you get hired the training officer can use them to ask for reciprocity into the DOD system for no charge.

When you have written your resume, it may not be a bad idea to take it to a local base department to have some of the current firefighters review it and offer hints. While there, you could also try to get some face time with the chief of that department. The chief is going to get a list of candidates that is very long, and anything you can do to make sure you are remembered is a good bet.

Lastly, after you apply for any/all jobs, watch the websites to see when/where you are referred. The Navy system is open continuous meaning once you apply you sit back and wait (remember to check all the bases you are interested in when doing the resume), the Army system requires you to self-nominate for each/every position that comes open.

Good Luck

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 5ltretr View Post
    If I were you I would shoot CaptBob a pm. I have read several of his posts on hiring tips. He may give you some really good ideas for your resume. Just an idea good luck.
    Just don't let him talk you into lying on your application. I have heard that he has a bad habit of doing this.
    Just someone trying to help! (And by the way....Thanks for YOUR help!)

Aggressive does not have to equal stupid.

** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by THEFIRENUT View Post
    Just don't let him talk you into lying on your application. I have heard that he has a bad habit of doing this.
    Oh wow I never knew that, from what I read seemed credible. Nevermind haha I wouldnt lie especially to the gov.

MembersZone Subscriber

You do not need military experience, however, if there is somone on the list that has they would get preference. I did not have any military experience and I got hired 3 1/2 years ago.
    Lilyogi

MembersZone Subscriber

The application process always seems to be the most difficult part for me. I have had my application in the system for around three years and have never been invited to a department for an interview. Back then I had no expirence or training though. Now I am updating my resume with some certs and volunteer expirence. With your guys help I should have alot better chance of landing a job. Thanks again for the help.

Forum Member

Dont feel bad, military has little to do with things. Ive been in the military for 11 years. I have been trying to go DoD since I got my certs in 04. I just got hired this month at a NAS.

But one thing you have to be willing is to move and take what ever base calls at first and then try later where you want to be.

MembersZone Subscriber

Is the process a long one? I have my interview and Physical Agility Test coming up. How long does it take to hear something afterwards? I'm going for a NAS.

Forum Member

Good luck......

Forum Member

From the time I got an e-mail asking me if i wanted to work where im at now till my strat date was almost 6 months. It's an NAS but it was well worth the wait.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for the info!

Forum Member

Thumbs up check out this site

Check out

www.fdreusme.com

The helped me out a few months ago and I would go back if I ever need help with my resume again.

Good Luck,

A.

Forum Member

NAS are the hardest depts to get on, they are the best

Thread Information