Thread: FDIC Hotels??

Forum Member

Red face FDIC Hotels??

What are some of the better hotels to stay at during FDIC? Close to, good rooms, specials for ff's, etc. Also where's some good places to eat & hang out in Indy (any ff themed places?).

MembersZone Subscriber

I'd like to know what it's like in Indy and what to expect too. There's a small group of us FDIC first timers coming over from souther Ohio.

MembersZone Subscriber

Hate to tell you guys but its probably too late to get rooms close to the convention center. More power to ya if you can. I usually book the next year as I check out, that seems to be the easiest way to do it.

Wherever you stay, there are plenty of places to see and great restaurants. Ike & Jonesy's is close and seems to be a firefighter favorite as does Hooters. Make sure to check out the FOOLS brotherhood bash on Wednesday night out by Hooter's.

Depending on where you are from you can sometimes get an invite to a manufacturer reception in the evening too. I highly recommend those if you have either just made or are planning to make a large purchase. It gives the company a little butt kissin time.

Indy is a great town, been going for about 10 years now. Personally, I love seeing all of my brothers during the day. At night I tend now to venture out a bit from the rest of the guys. There is something about sitting in a bar with 200 firemen that make me want to drive out a bit and have a bar all to ourselves. The female population is very friendly, but it never hurts to stack the odds in your favor.

Seriously though, hit the Brotherhood Bash on Wednesday. I think its only a $5 cover.

Enjoy
    Last edited by shenry32; 02-23-2008 at 09:52 AM.

Forum Member

Shenry32 is correct, finding a hotel in the down town area may be difficult at this late date. If you do youíll likely to pay through the nose. I would suggest go to one of the many travel sites (do it now!) there are still some rooms 6 to 10 miles out along US 465. But they will book up in the next few weeks.
    10 miles is not a long drive as 465 circles the city with many main streets and highways going through the heart of the city.
    If you are flying your on the east side of 465 I would find a hotel that offers transportation the convention center.

Hint #1 Make a reservation somewhere and 24 hrs before leaving check for cancellations in the down town area.

Lots of things to do it all depends on what youíre looking for. Dozens of bars and restaurants to chose from. Again Iím with 32, Lunch at Hooters is very popular and Ike & Jonesy's is a hot spot. Long lines at Jonesyís at times.

Just north 465 is a great indoor Go kart track. Iím a FOG but can still enjoy spending an hour there. www.fastimesindoorkarting If a little more mature entertainment is your thing lots of clubs around Indy as well.

Hint #2 if you drive get to the convention center early to find parking. Donít park in Wendyís parking lot for more then 2 hrs cost me $100 two years ago

The RCA Dome is gone I wonder how this will effect the apparatus display? It should be better next year with the new stadium done.

Forum Member

Sorry for the bad link to Fastimes but Iím not sure how to fix it.

Forum Member

Please be sure to check out the FOOLS party behind Hooter's on Wednesday night. We will be the featured entertainment this year. Check outt he website, I'm pretty sure it has our schedule on it www.indypipes.org

Also be sure to come to the Local 416 hall on Friday night for the open house. Free food and family and adult beverages.

MembersZone Subscriber

Any hotel downtown is within walking distance or a short cab ride to any events downtown. If you can't stay directly downtown there are plenty of hotels within 15 minutes. Check the eastside hotels near 21st and Shadeland or try near the airport or W. 38th st/ I 465. The northeast side of town is about a 20-25 min. ride. Look for anything close to 96th st. and I 69 junction. Southside near I 465 and Emerson or U.S. 31 (East St.) are also about a 10 min. ride. Book now though and beat the rush. While I'm at it, if you are in town on Friday the 11th, our union hall has a HUGE party with FREE food and drinks. About 4-5,000 of your closest friends will be there. Shuttle busses will start around 5 p.m. at the Convention center and operate until it shuts down around 10 p.m. The union hall is at 748 Massachusetts Ave. @ College Ave. on the outskirts of downtown.

MembersZone Subscriber

The RCA Dome is gone I wonder how this will effect the apparatus display? It should be better next year with the new stadium done.

RCA Dome is very much there until after FDIC. The new stadium will house the apparatus after this year with a tunnel allowing people to go between the Convention Center and the Lucas Oil stadium. The Dome will be torn down and the Convention Center will be expanded. Not sure if the apparatus will be displayed there once it's built though.

MembersZone Subscriber

Even if you book a room downtown through the FDIC folks early, they have more than once bumped us to lesser hotels because apparently a sponsor paying more needed the room more than we did. Kind of frustrating, but what can one do? Even out by the airport, it isn't too bad a ride in on one of the FDIC buses.

I'd nominate Smokey Bones as a great place for dinner. They have a nice patio if weather coooperates, and the food is excellent. There's also an Italian place you better plan well ahead to attend, as they fill up absurdly fast. You'll leave there filled to a level you never though yourself capable of. When I remember the name I'll edit my post and add it.

Howl at the Moon is a fantastic dueling piano bar a few blocks walk from the dome. I've never had more fun than that place, there always seems to be a nice balance of attractive women, and the joint is very firefighter friendly.

I'm sure I'll recall more things. FDIC is always the time of the year I recharge my passion for being the best leader I can be on my department, doing my best to instruct, and making sure we're never satisfied with the way things are.
    "Share your knowledge - it's a way to achieve immortality." - Stolen from Chase Sargent's Buddy to Boss program

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by npfd801 View Post
    Even if you book a room downtown through the FDIC folks early, they have more than once bumped us to lesser hotels because apparently a sponsor paying more needed the room more than we did. Kind of frustrating, but what can one do? Even out by the airport, it isn't too bad a ride in on one of the FDIC buses.

I'd nominate Smokey Bones as a great place for dinner. They have a nice patio if weather coooperates, and the food is excellent. There's also an Italian place you better plan well ahead to attend, as they fill up absurdly fast. You'll leave there filled to a level you never though yourself capable of. When I remember the name I'll edit my post and add it.

Howl at the Moon is a fantastic dueling piano bar a few blocks walk from the dome. I've never had more fun than that place, there always seems to be a nice balance of attractive women, and the joint is very firefighter friendly.

I'm sure I'll recall more things. FDIC is always the time of the year I recharge my passion for being the best leader I can be on my department, doing my best to instruct, and making sure we're never satisfied with the way things are.

Hate to rain on your parade but the Smokey Bones downtown has closed. The only one left in the metro area is down south in Greenwood. Much to my dismay.

MembersZone Subscriber

The good thing about downtown is that for every restaraunt that closes, another is waiting to take it's place.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by IFDFFENG20 View Post
    The good thing about downtown is that for every restaraunt that closes, another is waiting to take it's place.

True true. The chicken tortilla soup at Smokey Bones though couldn't be beat.

Forum Member

Default Fdic

Like most of the above posts, I think it might be too late to get a hotel downtown. They fill up fast I signed up last year during FDIC. You might have some luck trying to find some place outside the belt. I have been going out to Indy for the last nine years all ways a great time and some of the best training any where, some of the HOT classes kick *****.
    After class, you will find the downtown full of fine bars and some great food. FOOLS party is must nothing better. Union party is also a blast but the year I stopped by the lines for adult drinks was way to long.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ncfd1864 View Post
    Union party is also a blast but the year I stopped by the lines for adult drinks was way to long.

We've been working on that. You must have stopped in the year we had recruits running the beer tables. We've gone back to having the grownups run the beer tables now.

WFDFire2156
    Firehouse.com Guest

all I can say is good luck finding a room.... I have no worrys my hotel is a block away from the show and I have no idea how I got so lucky

WFDFire2156
    Firehouse.com Guest

all I can say is good luck finding a room.... I have no worrys my hotel is a block away from the show and I have no idea how I got so lucky soo a little advise BOOK EARLY!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by WFDFire2156 View Post
    all I can say is good luck finding a room.... I have no worrys my hotel is a block away from the show and I have no idea how I got so lucky soo a little advise BOOK EARLY!

Mine's about five miles formt he show, but I live there year round, and I have a driver for FDIC...... I mean I have a loving wife wwho hauls my kilted *** home after I drink to much so I don't get in any trouble.

Forum Member

Not sure about good places to eat..as I seem to drink my dinner. But I remember right there is a good place that is open at 3am that has some good food. Its next to the Keg, its like a old 70's kinda place.

As for hotels, your best bet is to call them direct and ask to be put on a list. or if you are really good, dont get a room, just goto the bars and see if you cant find some women to go home with. Sleep at her place, and have her drive you to hands on the next morning.

SMK

PS only joking around about having her drive you to hands on..at least call a taxi...

Thread Information