Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Forum Member

Easy answer for our air management policy. If there is a fire in the building we go on air outside the door.

Makes no difference if the fire is in the back of the supermarket and we go in the front. On air outside the door.

SCBA stays on for overhaul until CO drops below 20 ppm. Officer or senior man supervising ioverhaul inside the structure always has a CO meter. When it drops below 20, he gives the IC a shout. He will then usually check it out personally and make the final call on losing the SCBA.

Not following the policy will get our paid guys a shift or two off. Volunteers will find themseleves suspended for a few weeks. It's enforced and everybody knows it.

Reality is firefighters will always try to do things the easy way. it's the department's responsibility to mandate that they do things the right way.

At this point we are realigning our training and SOPs to address this new standard.
    Last edited by LaFireEducator; 11-28-2008 at 08:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RFDACM02 View Post
    I'm fine with guys breathing air during overhaul if that's the policy or their choice, but I find policies generally lack the ability to address all the hazards so they become a false sense of security. Measuring for CO is only one of many toxic gases you maybe exposed to. Many recent studies show hydrogen cyanide presence maybe more dangerous. Who's measuring for that? What other gases affect your gas meters? I know many FD's have far too little knowledge of their meters to be safe.

We have no policy and probably breathe more crap than we should, but short of an "on air always" policy we'll continue to leave a lot up to what we can see, the individual and chance.
    We do monitor more than just CO. Our officers attend an Incident Safety Officer class. Whoever is assigned safety at a fire is in charge of monitoring air quality during overhaul.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Whocares View Post
    So I'm sure you test the air during overhaul and never take your mask off until all readings are zero, right? And you are on air for CO runs, and trash cans, and auto's, and lawnmowers, and dumpsters, rubbish in the alley, right? And all your rig bays have exhaust systems and you put them on even when backing in, right?
    Pretty much, yep.

And I wear gloves when I start IV's. You?

Thread Information