Default New way of teaching Escape Planning

I have an idea about how to improve our teaching fire escape planning. According to the USFA only 23% of households actually practice escape plans. My partner and I were wondering why and wanted to do something about this.

We noticed that when we teach kids we often ask "what should you do during a house fire?" and we always get a few say "Stop Drop and Roll". As a whole the fire service has done a great job of teaching stop drop and roll, everyone knows it. What escape planning needed was a simple group of words that kids could remember easily. We came up with "Escape and Wait".

Little kids have a very hard time remembering the long list of things they should NOT do (don't hide, don't look for the dog, don't go back in, etc...) but can remember two things they should do "Escape and Wait". Instead of teaching this list of don't do's we teach them that their job is to "Escape and Wait" ONLY. Its our job to put out the fire, your parents job to call 911 and your job to "Escape and Wait".

When we would ask kids who had already come through our classes (at Safety City USA) where their meeting place was and even asked our own kids only to find that most did not remember. That is when we came up with the deceptively simple idea of making a sign.

What we have now is a reflective blue pentagon shapped sign, a song, and a website www.escapeandwait.com

I am wondering what the rest of the Fire community thinks of our idea.

Please visit our website and let me know if you have any ideas of how we can improve our system. If you use something different that you think works well please share it with us.

Thanks

Dan Phillips
    Co-Owner
    Escape and Wait LLC
    www.escapeandwait.com
    danphillips@escapeandwait.com
    586-716-8026

Forum Member

Default Loooove it!

Mr. Phillips,

I love it! "Escape and Wait" is simple and easy to remember. It's a wonder someone didn't come up with it sooner! The website is great also. It's very informative, but not intimidating. It's easy to navigate and read.

I'm so happy I found this thread. Our volunteer fire department has been visiting pre-schools and elementary/middle schools for as long as I've been a member (5 years). The kids we visit always remember "Dial 911", "Stop, Drop, and Roll", and they can even identify every piece of equipment we wear including our SCBA and mask. But the one thing they can never remember is the evacuation plan. I intend to take the information from your website to our next public relations/education committee meeting and put it to very good use.

Thanks a lot and keep up the good work!

Lt. Nathan Strubberg
    New Haven-Berger Fire Protection District
    New Haven, MO

Default Offer of help with meeting

Lt. Strubberg,

I am glad you like the "Escape and Wait" idea. Its always nice to hear from someone as dedicated to Fire Education as we are. I would love to hear what your public relations/education committee thinks.

If you need any more information please don't hesitate to email, phone, or post a reply here anytime.

Dan Phillips
    www.escapeandwait.com
    danphillips@escapeandwait.com
    586-716-8026

Forum Member

This might be a good idea, but it is not a good idea to post it in here.

You are not supposed to advertise on this forum.

They have paid advertisers here.
    Just someone trying to help! (And by the way....Thanks for YOUR help!)

Aggressive does not have to equal stupid.

** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

Forum Member

I think you have come up with a winner! Excellent Idea. I like the simplicity and how it ties in so well with E.D.I.T.H.

Be careful though, your thread may be construed as commercial advertising which is against forum rules.
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    http://www.tfdfire.com/
    "Fir na tine"

Forum Member

Default Forget the Song

Its a grand idea but you do not need the song. This is serious stuff you are teaching children. When you make it into playtime and fun you diminish the importance of the technique.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by zaishy View Post
    Its a grand idea but you do not need the song. This is serious stuff you are teaching children. When you make it into playtime and fun you diminish the importance of the technique.

I agree that this is serious stuff, but the best way to get children to learn is to teach them in song. Read them a paragraph from a book and a week later, most of them will have forgotten it, but teach them a song and they will be able to sing it for a long time. I am no expert, but I can tell you what has worked for my kids.

Plus, I believe that if you make the drill into a game, your kids will more likely want to play along and learn what to do in case of a fire.
    Just someone trying to help! (And by the way....Thanks for YOUR help!)

Aggressive does not have to equal stupid.

** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by zaishy View Post
    Sorry guys...just testing here

Thread Information